PDA

View Full Version : Fitting .303Brit mandrel to 7.62X39 collet die

onondaga
03-28-2011, 08:09 PM
My new 7.62X39R Collet Neck Sizing Die and the .303 Brit. mandrel parts came in today. My goal here was to neck size the 7.62X39R for .312" diameter cast gas checked bullets. The standard mandrel with the set miked out at .306", The .303 Brit. mandrel miked .3085".

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/rhymeswithwhat/X39Mandrel.jpg

You can see the standard mandrel in the box and also the piece I cut from the .303 Brit next to it.

I used a cutting disk with a Dremel type tool to cut the new larger diameter mandrel. I measured the original mandrel and cut the Brit. pin to the same length.

Inside the die is a collet and separate collar that the mandrel fits into. The hole in the collar was too tight for the new mandrel. You can see a wooden dowel in my electric drill chuck. There is sand paper in the slotted dowel end. I oiled the paper and polished out the collar to fit the new Brit. mandrel diameter. This was very easy and took less than one minute. as very little metal had to be removed.

I cleaned, oiled and assembled the modified die and put it on my press. Here is how I set up the die:

I measures the neck OD on some of my loaded ammo that was sized with a full length sizing die that has the larger de-cap/expander pin for .311-.312" bullets. I have good neck tension with that die for seated cast .312" bullets. So I used the outside neck diameter measurement from ammo loaded with that die to adjust the new Collet Die. That outside diameter is .335"

I put the lever down on the press and adjusted the new die to contact the shell holder.

My un-sized neck OD is .341". I started to adjust the die in 1/8 turn adjustments and checking the neck OD each time. After a number of adjustments I got the Neck sized OD to .335" .

I re-adjusted my case mouth flair die while I was in the mood to adjust stuff and set it for a .002" flair. Then I adjusted my Lee factory Crimp die to return the flair to zero after seating bullets. I decided not to really crimp for this caliber anymore as my rifle is a single shot break open Remington Spartan.

I loaded some ammo with the new and modified die and noted that the case capacity has increased with collet neck sizing versus full length sizing. That volume gain is one reason I chose to neck size. Longer brass life is certainly gained with collet neck sizing too.

Hopefully there will be an accuracy gain too with neck sizing and the reset of the crimp die. I am fighting to get less than 1 MOA out of the 7.62X39R for a deer load for my grandson. I was pretty darn close with full length sizing but couldn't get groups less than 1 inch at 50 yards. My hopes are up again with the new collet die and good neck size for my cast bullets.

Gary

Smoke-um if you got-um
03-28-2011, 10:13 PM
I did the same thing with a 303 British mandrel in a Lee 30-06 Collet Neck Die and it works perfect for cast in the .310-.312 range.

Mike

Rico1950
03-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Just received a set of Lee collet dies yesterday. One for the .308 and one for the 06. Reading the paper that came with the dies, Lee says, if you need bigger send them a line. The paper said $5.00 for a larger mandrel.

onondaga
03-29-2011, 12:08 AM
The .303 Brit. mandrel was $4.00 when I ordered it with my die set. It is not a drop in part. It had to be shortened and the hole in the collar it fits in had to be enlarged. I loaded some more ammo this evening and the collet die has been working fine. The added case volume from neck sizing has allowed 2 more grains of H380 to fit in a 100% capacity load with my Lee 150 FNGC modified .312" sized bullet seated to 2.140".

29 gr. H4895 will now also fit in the cartridge the same height as 27 gr. previously fit. I had no pressure signs with either 27 or 28 grains H4895 and groups were 1.2" at 50 yds. The 29 grains will show if the group size has peaked in accuracy or not for me. Not expecting any pressure signs because the added case volume will likely compensate for the extra single grain of powder anyway. Just hoping for the accuracy to arrive.

Gary

Smoke-um if you got-um
03-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Just received a set of Lee collet dies yesterday. One for the .308 and one for the 06. Reading the paper that came with the dies, Lee says, if you need bigger send them a line. The paper said $5.00 for a larger mandrel.

The mandrel doesn't need to be shorted for the the 06, just open up the collet and it's a drop in. The 308 may need a separate mandrel shortened a bit.

Mike

Rico1950
03-29-2011, 10:16 PM
The mandrel doesn't need to be shorted for the the 06, just open up the collet and it's a drop in. The 308 may need a separate mandrel shortened a bit.

They are fine the way they are. I only mentioned the mandrel option for people needing larger mandrels. I may order one for my 8x57. I'm shooting .325".

skeet1
03-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Gary,
Maybe I missed it but what rifle are you shooting this 7.62X39 in?

Ken

onondaga
03-29-2011, 11:22 PM
Ken,

My rifle is the Remington Spartan, an import from Biakal (Russian), it is a single shot break open rifle. A bore slug from the chrome lined barrel mikes .3108". That is why I need the larger size mandrel to fit the larger .3120" sized/gas checked cast bullets I shoot.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/rhymeswithwhat/LCheek.jpg

Gary

excess650
03-30-2011, 07:49 AM
I'm shooting a CZ-527 carbine. The spec indicates .311" groove, but I haven't slugged it. .313" is snug in the throat, and I L&S in that die despite the boolits casting .302"x.312".

While I did recently buy the collet die set, I haven't yet resorted to changing the mandrel, but I'm thinking about it.:popcorn:

skeet1
03-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Gary,
Nice looking single shot. If it shoots as good as it looks your grandson will have a good one. Let us know how it does when you get a chance to shoot some lead through it.

Ken

onondaga
03-31-2011, 02:03 AM
I have been working up loads for it and finally got it shooting right:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/rhymeswithwhat/X39Targ.jpg

Link to post with test report:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=111785

Gary

303Guy
03-31-2011, 03:24 AM
onondaga, I like what you've done with that cheeckpiece/Monte Carlo addition to your butt-stock. Great idea - very clever. Now I know how to solve my problem.:drinks:

onondaga
03-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks,
The other side has shell holder loops. Once in a while I work with leather, nothing fancy. I cut a gardening kneeling pad for under the leather cheek. The height is good for scope eye alignment.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/rhymeswithwhat/RLoops.jpg

Gary