PDA

View Full Version : .224 swaged accuracy?

Utah Shooter
03-28-2011, 03:18 PM
So I have searched the forums and not really found what I am looking for. I am curious if someone could post a photo or at least say what kind of accuracy you are getting with .224 jacketed projectiles. Do you get better accuracy with annealing the whole case or just part of it?

Hickory
03-28-2011, 03:25 PM
I use them to shoot groundhogs and prairie dogs out to 300yds.

felix
03-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Anneal the whole case of what? ... felix

Utah Shooter
03-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Anneal the whole case of what? ... felix
22lr case.

I was hoping you would respond Hickory. I caught that you do not anneal the whole case. When you were reloading and trying to get a good powder load what kind of accuracy were you getting?

Hickory
03-28-2011, 04:02 PM
22lr case.

I was hoping you would respond Hickory. I caught that you do not anneal the whole case. When you were reloading and trying to get a good powder load what kind of accuracy were you getting?

This is what I do. And I've been doing this for almost 30 yrs.

I clean the 22 cases with hot soapy water Rinse well, shake out as much water as possible and place in the oven @ 500 degrees for 25 minutes. And no more.

This does two things; It dries out the cases and partially anneals them just enough to derim them without popping off the heads.

I only anneal the mouth of the case because it is drawn to the point and needs to be soft for this step so as not to have the point fold over onto self.

If you anneal the whole case to where it becomes too soft, when the point is formed, the soft and thin brass of the rimfire jacket will collapse forming ring around the shank of the bullet. That in turn will vary the length of the bullet.

Also when the shank of the jacket is too soft, you will have more fowling and if your rifle bore is the least bit ruff the bullet may not reach it's target.

ANeat
03-28-2011, 04:11 PM
I get accuracy that is comparable to factory FMJ bullets. Using berger jackets will get the best accuracy out of your gun but I have no problem getting sub .75" groups (100 yard, 5 shot)with a Bolt action Savage and the rimfire jacketed bullets

MIBULLETS
03-28-2011, 05:43 PM
I get around .75 to 1" with rimfire jacket bullets (100yds). I do however anneal the whole thing after it is de-rimed. It is not a complete anneal, only enough so that the tips form nice. I have never had the jacket colapse from being too soft but Hickory is not the first person I have heard that from. For me it is easier and less time consuming to just do the whole thing.
You will see many different methods of annealing, and whether to anneal before or after de-riming. Some will swear by their method only. I think it has more to do with the fit of the die and punch that determines which method works best for you. Some brass reacts a little different so it is best to find out what works for you and stick to it.

ANeat
03-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Ive annealed both ways and really couldnt tell any difference in the way they shoot.

If I recall I just batch annealed at 750 degrees or so. Seemed to get a little more scale on them than using Hickorys method

Doing them one at a time the way Hickory does it, they are clean enough to use as soon as they cool. Plus I think they look better with that half annealed discoloration.

Probably not the most effecient way of doing it but its something I enjoy

MIBULLETS
03-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Yes, I agree. Just annealing the mouth of the jacket does work very well, I just don't have the patience to do a couple thousand that way.

I would think that the 25 minutes @ 500 degrees also softens them up some too, not much but some. In fact that's how I do mine. 30 minutes on clean cycle, so at most maybe 200 degrees more.

firefly1957
03-30-2011, 06:21 PM
I anneal the whole case and get about .75 inch groups at 100yds which is better than factory ammo. That is from a light barreled Rossi break open rifle. My groups are about twice that size when I use shot for the core. I have found #9 shot to have insufficient penetration for coyotes but good for coons and possums. I have started using 9 #2 shot which has more promise for coyotes it will exit a raccoon broadside. In making these I place about 3/4 of shot in jacket then "press" it together then do the rest in next step. Press has been done in a press and by tapping a rod into shot jacket must be in a die to do this or case expands to much. I get good shot separation using chilled shot as is from the bag I have not found it necessary to add any more oil/graphite etc.

michiganvet
06-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Utah Shooter; You can get any level of accuracy you want. With good dies and careful work you can use J4 jackets and you are equal to match grade.