PDA

View Full Version : Porslin pots for smelting ?

Wayne S
03-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Spelling is wrong ,it the blac or blue with white speckles, a magnet sticks to it, I've seen a couple at the thrift stores, either oval [turkey roaster pot] or the 12" H X 16" OD, ANYWAY, anyone ever use one of these for "smelting" ???

selmerfan
03-28-2011, 01:23 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think it will be heavy enough to hold up...

onondaga
03-28-2011, 01:45 PM
porcelain

I understood you anyway.

Gary

looseprojectile
03-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Way too much heat and rough usage to last very long. Awful light duty.
I have been using a cast iron Dutch Oven for years and I am still careful with that.
Stainless steel would be my next choice. Stainless would stand some rough use and would not tend to crack or break with a lot of pounding.

Good luck.

Life is good

Wayne S
03-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Way too much heat and rough usage to last very long. Awful light duty.
I have been using a cast iron Dutch Oven for years and I am still careful with that.
Stainless steel would be my next choice. Stainless would stand some rough use and would not tend to crack or break with a lot of pounding.

Good luck.

Life is good
Pounding ??
I'ld go with a cast dutch oven , I haven't been able to find one big enough for what I want to do. I like to smelt about 200 +# , that way I hove a lot of a certain alloy, all the same.
I'll check the "junk" yards for a 16" piece of steel pipe about 12 " high , SS would be nice but $$$$

luna butte
03-28-2011, 07:22 PM
cut an old 5 gallon propane tank in half, that ought to hold enough lead to smelt in. and i bet you could find a throw away model easy enough.