PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Lead Bullet Lube?

wild_weasel
03-28-2011, 05:44 AM
I have been using Hornady cast (swaged) 158gr LSWC HPs with great results in my 38 SPs and 357 Mags. They seem to be tumble lubed with a waxy / mica type lube that is dry and not sticky. Is this lube or equivalent available to the home caster?

Cheers,
W-W

BABore
03-28-2011, 08:04 AM
IMO it's Rooster jacket lube with a motor mica dusting.

I used to shoot the Hornady swaged 158 gr SWC for NRA silhoutte. The go-to load in a 357 Mag case was 5.0 grs of WW 231 and a CCI 500 cap. I worked for 3+ years trying to match that loads accuracy with cast boolits. I finally ended up copying the Hornady design as close as possible and put in a couple very shallow, wide, lube grooves (BRP 358-158). I planned on using liquid lube, but wanted some options. I cast them from pure lead. I tried many liquid lubes and variations til I finally used the final resort, the one lube I didn't want to use, Lee "mule snot". To match the accuracy I had to use a single thinned coat (50% LLA, 50% Mineral spirits) and a dusting of Motor Mica. It all worked as several here can attest. Accurate and stable well past 400 yards.

fryboy
03-28-2011, 08:16 AM
i've always believed it was as BABore stated or a private label product made by rooster labs very similar to rooster jacket , i say this because hornady does have some products made by rooster labs as such ( non-aerosol one shot , unique case lube etc ) i havent personally seen it but from a description i've heard of a old hornady stick lube it also sounds like it was made by rooster , geographically these two companies also arent to far away from each other

wild_weasel
03-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Guys,

Thanks for the information, I just ordered a bottle of Rooster Jacket to try on my Lee Tumble Lube bullets.

Cheers,
W-W