PDA

View Full Version : ok another question from Dustin lol

Dustinxxx
03-28-2011, 02:14 AM
ive bought lead in the past and it had colored lubed in the groove. so i assume it wasnt a tumble lube. But i just tumble lubed my first bullets last night with lee alox, and it seems the lube didnt stick in the grooves. Did i do something wrong? if not why does most non tumble lube bullets have the lube in the grooves like that? sorry for the dumb question.. im new to casting and just trying to learn all i can about casting

noylj
03-28-2011, 03:34 AM
Tumble lube is a liquid and does not fill gaps. The lube is on the driving bands and, for most applications, is sufficient for handgun loads.
You did the tumbling, so you must have seen it NOT fill the lube groove(s).
There are "solid" lubes that fill the lube groove. They are applied under pressure to completely fill the lube groove (or melted for pan lubing). They require pan-lubing or the use of a Lubrisizer. This is fine for commercial manufacturers, but costs in terms of equipment for the individual. Most casters, however, have a lubrisizer.
Personally, I started with a Lubrisizer, then went to pan lubing, and in the past couple of years have been tumble lubing my as-cast bullets. Tumbe lubing is so much easier and quicker.
Also, if your LLA-lubed bulets are amber/warm brown, you used way too much LLA.

nanuk
03-28-2011, 02:25 PM
the theory on Lubes is different between the Grease Groove boolit and the the Tumble Lube boolit

there is HOURS of reading on the theories as to HOW the lubes work. one seems to contradict the other on occasion.

Experience through the years seems to have proven out that both work if properly done.

heck, there are even threads about TL'ing GG boolits. Go figger....

Armorer
03-28-2011, 06:27 PM
I use 45-45-10 and tumble lube nearly all of my pistol boolits and some of my .30 boolits as well. It works great, and a batch can last for a really long time.

My ¢2
Armorer