PDA

View Full Version : Portable Reloading Set Up

flashhole
03-27-2011, 08:36 PM
I'm nearing completion of my haul-this-to-the-range reloading set up. I still need to put the rubber pad on the bottom, a couple of brackets to hold plastic bins off to the sides, and a mount for a powder thrower opposite the press. It's all steel and is heavy and steady enough to FL size cases without tipping.

Here's what it looks like assembled.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/Finished1.jpg

Ben
03-27-2011, 09:07 PM
How will you catch the spent primers , looks like there won't be room for the long vinyl hose that comes with the press.

I'm a big fan of the Lee Classic Turret. You've picked a nice press.

flashhole
03-27-2011, 09:15 PM
A small container under the drop zone.

03-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Nice looking stand. Thanks for the pics. I have mine mounted onto 2X6s and secured to the desk with wing nuts. They can be quickly dismounted and put onto any flat surface with "C" clamps. Like yours better. What will you mount your scale and powder dispenser onto? Thinking of mounting a powder bracket onto another 2X instead of the press.

jmorris
03-27-2011, 10:31 PM
I just make mounts that fit into a 2" reciever hitch. Solid as a rock.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/gn/3533895716_0a7f11a958.jpg

rbstern
03-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Sweet, but you guys have strange notions of portable.

I consider portable something that fits in a tool box. A small tool box. :)

wallenba
03-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Good job flashhole! Made of off the shelf parts? Or custom made?

jmorris
03-27-2011, 11:34 PM
The extra holes in the side brackets makes me think they are Dillon strong mounts.

jmorris
03-27-2011, 11:37 PM
Here are two others that use the C clamp method of retention. The turret one is 1/4" steel tapped for 5/16 bolts the other one is just wood with carpet glued to the bottom, its even big enough to be used without clamps.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/stmounts.jpg

flashhole
03-28-2011, 07:12 AM
06 - the powder measure will be opposite the press, I have to make the mounting fixture.

rbstern - I used to put my stuff in a box, still do, but I like the press on a stand.

wallenba, jmorris - yes, the uprights are Dillon Strong Mounts. I ordered the steel plates off evilBay and drilled them for use. I like the receiver idea but I can't use that just anywhere.

rbertalotto
03-28-2011, 07:19 AM
http://images19.fotki.com/v33/photos/3/36012/335081/standfrontview-vi.jpg

This is what I built for a trip to the range..........

Wayne Smith
03-28-2011, 07:52 AM
You mentioned rubber for the base. I'm using a router pad cut up to fit under my cartridge blocks and trimmer base to keep them in place on the bench. Might work for you. Basically the same stuff put under a carpet to keep it in place.

jcwit
03-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Sweet, but you guys have strange notions of portable.

I consider portable something that fits in a tool box. A small tool box.

I agree, my complete reloading set up for taking to the range fits in a 50 cal. ammo box. Thats everything, dies, Sinclar arbor press, Lyman 55 powder measure, bullets 1 lb, can of powder, cases, primers, and misc tools. Everything except the rifle.

rbstern
03-28-2011, 04:10 PM
rbstern - I used to put my stuff in a box, still do, but I like the press on a stand.

It's a great looking rig you've got, and it's sporting my all time favorite press. I clamp a Lee Realoder to the shooting bench, and that becomes my stand.

I often find that I have too many things to haul to the range. Guns, ammo, shooting bags, chrony, tripod, spotting scope, scope stand, safety gear, targets, etc. When it takes 20 minutes to load up the truck, I get cranky. I want to be shooting, not feeling like I'm loading a Uhaul. :)

flashhole
03-28-2011, 05:33 PM
I feel your pain. It seems like a range outting is akin to moving into new digs. So much stuff. I've been trying to simplify things, it's tough.

38fan
03-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Mine is portable, but not to be taken to the range. 12"x24" work surface, stands 29" on casters. Move it where I want it.

PacMan
03-29-2011, 05:34 AM
As they say-KISS
I size , prime and expand all my brass at home. Take a small single stage press for seating,seating dies,powder measure,trickler,scales,bullets and powder.
Dwight

jcwit
03-29-2011, 01:15 PM
As they say-KISS
I size , prime and expand all my brass at home. Take a small single stage press for seating,seating dies,powder measure,trickler,scales,bullets and powder.
Dwight

But I use the same 5 cases over and over as they seem to be the most consistant of any I've checked.

koyote
03-29-2011, 01:26 PM
I've used my lee hand press a few times at the range, but I like that.

I'm actually looking at a Lee turret for an upgrade from my breech lock challenger. A portable setup like that would actually be nice for the shop.

PacMan
03-29-2011, 03:14 PM
jcwit- so is five cases all you ever use? OK by me. Just seems that if you reload more after finding your load you may not have accomplished much.

Just to add to my post i mostly reload at the range to tweek loads that i have worked up and shot on my 50yard home range.

If i feel like i need to test primers i will still size and expand at home and carry a few unprimed cases and a hand primer.

Dwight

Fishman
03-29-2011, 11:55 PM
The lee hand press is very portable.

David2011
05-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Portable can mean a lot of different things. Mine is portable in that it's what I set up to use while living in a travel trailer away from my regular reloading room. The wooden portion could be taken to the range and clamped to a bench. All of my single stage presses and tools are mounted on 1/2x6x12" steel plates which are drilled and threaded for each item. I went with 6x12 to spread the load on high leverage applications but in retrospect most of the items could be mounted on 6x6x1/4" aluminum if you could find it at a reasonable price. I drilled the bolt patterns on a mill that had a digital readout so all of the plates match. This was done for my home setup so I carried it over to the "portable" setup. I have an RCBS Uniflow measure, Forster case trimmer and Dillon primer pocket swager also mounted on the interchangeable plates so I can configure the workflow to suit the job at hand. The toolbox is resting on a couple of 1x4 planks with nonskid shelf liner between the planks and floor and the planks and toolbox instead of its wheels to add some stability. The toolbox is great storage for bullets, primers, some of the powder, tools, gun cleaning supplies and other items that shooting and reloading require. The press is on risers so it can clear the drawers and at a height where I can sit in a comfortable folding chair.

David