PDA

View Full Version : Mold shipping

downwind
03-27-2011, 05:52 PM
What is the best ways to ship molds?

Great success stories and horror stories

The reason I pose this Question is I just had a bad shipping experience and would like to see it avoided in the future by anyone else.

Come share

THANKS-DOWNWIND

Mustangpalmer1911
03-27-2011, 05:56 PM
All mine have been shipped to me in USPS flat rate boxes with no problems.

mooman76
03-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Pack it good and put some kind of signature service or insurance on them. I think they get a little better care if they think they have to track them. Flat rate box is good too. It is prioity mail. Truth be know there is no 100% garantee no matter what. I've never had a problem myself but sometime bad things happen no matter what you do.

deltaenterprizes
03-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Make sure the mold halves do not bang together. Either tie the blocks together or wrap them well separately.

JIMinPHX
03-27-2011, 07:39 PM
USPS flat rate box with delivery conformation is what I use. My results have all been good.

stubshaft
03-27-2011, 07:40 PM
USPS Priority Flat Rate box with delivery confirmation.

smoked turkey
03-27-2011, 08:42 PM
+1 on keeping the molds together. I have noticed that left to themselves the mold block halves bang into each other and can cause problems with scaring the mold blocks. A simple solution that works everytime is to put a rubberband around the blocks to keep them together as a unit.

downwind
03-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Will Lyman orange box fit in small flat rate box? (don't have one handy)

Lid in open position, maybe with mold held together (tape or rubber band) with added packing material?

casterofboolits
03-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Tape or twist ties to hold the mould halves together, wrap in bubble wrap and tape.

HeavyMetal
03-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Black Electric tape works best when shipping or storing molds.

Wrap once or twice and pull sharply to make it darn tight and it will hold for years if not disturbed.

THen warp the whole mold in the little bubble type bubble wrap and instal in the correct size flat rate box and stuff with paper until it doesn't rattle.

Seal the box and then pass a strip of clear shipping tape over that opening and make sure it's sealed!

Ship with delivery conformation as that includes tracking!

Never lost anything thus shipped through USPS!

Buckshot
03-28-2011, 03:03 AM
...............I'm had umpteen moulds from single SC moulds, up to 4 DC's shipped in all mannor of boxes over the years. If I had to say I suspect it'd easily be at least a hundred of'em. Haven't ever gotten one shipped UPS that I recall. All were USPS 1st Class, priority Mail or Priority Mail FRB. 1st class is limited to 13 oz max however. Boxes for the 1st Class and Priority have been some obviously used several times before to brand new ones bought just for the purpose. I've NEVER had one shipped to me become lost, nor have any of those I've shipped back out ever been lost or damaged. ALL via USPS.

I've gotten mould blocks wired together, banded with old inner tube, taped together, rubber banded, and zip tied together. They've been wrapped in paper, bitty bubble bubble wrap, large bubble bubble wrap, foam, foam sheeting, styro peanuts, foam rubber, and folded up strips of cardboard. Probably a couple other ways too :-) ALL have arrived safely and in good shape regardless how thoughtfully, or how casually they were prepped and packed.

................Buckshot