PDA

View Full Version : Dear Unique, sorry I'm back

cephas53
03-27-2011, 02:25 PM
For many years Unique was a main go to powder for me in many loads. Over the last bit I've been swayed by some of what I've read on different forums concerning it being dirty, measures poorly and so on. So I tried to replace it in my handgun loads, oh how I tried. Have been working up loads for a .38 special snub nose lately. Came across a RCBS mold that cast my mix approximating lyman #2 at 162 gr. Had decent results with other powders. To the point good old unique got me where I wanted to be the easiest, just barely 800fps on the chrono being as accurate as I can shoot it. It wasn't that dirty, measured well and just felt reliable. Put me in with the dinosaurs, I'm sticking with it.

wcp4570
03-27-2011, 03:01 PM
cephas
You are not alone with your choice of Unique. I load it in at least 7 pistol calibers with good results. I have popped many a cap over a charge of Unique since the early 1970's. So put me in the same category as you.
wcp

Houndog
03-27-2011, 03:07 PM
There's a reason for it's name and it's longivity in the marketplace! It's one of my first go to powders for a non magnum pistol with cast boolets. SOME powders will do better in some applications, but I havn't found anything that does as well over a very long list of chamberings and boolet weight.

JDL
03-27-2011, 03:17 PM
If I should be forced to have only one powder, Unique would be my choice. I've used it from when a 4# keg cost me $9.99 until now in shotguns, pistols, and rifles. Dirty burning? Try FFg black before forming an opinion. ;-)
JDL

Kirk Miller
03-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Unique is my go to powder for all of my light to midrange load in hand guns with cast boolits. I've tried many (but not all) other powders and have yet to find ANYTHING that works as good or better.
Kirk

peerlesscowboy
03-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Unique is..........well............."Unique" [smilie=s:

Old Shooter
03-27-2011, 09:08 PM
If something works for you why change?

Heavy lead
03-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Well I actually went to Universal for awhile, didn't like it as well. Maybe it's just me, but I don't find Unique is dirty at all. It's hard to beat, I won't ever not use it.

timkelley
03-27-2011, 10:50 PM
I went to Universal for a while but returned to Unique. Unique doesn't seem all that much dirtier to me.

kmag
03-27-2011, 11:28 PM
I don't know of a clean burning gun powder. Hell it all burns with a flame. I have to clean my guns after shooting enough no matter what powder I use. I have been told for years how dirty Unique and Bullseye powders are, but I keep using them because they do the job for me. And I have tried a lot of powders in the last 53 years. The same can be said for 2400. These are not the only powders that I use but I would not like to be without them.

Shooter6br
03-27-2011, 11:52 PM
I like Unique or Universal Clays. which ever I can get

TonyM
03-28-2011, 12:37 AM
I gave up Unique for Trail Boss for my light loads with my revolvers.... it's nice just filling the case (Uncompressed of course) and shooting.... and it burns cleaner than just about anything I've used. When shot through my 454 (6.5gr or so), the inside of the case is virtually as clean as the outside after shooting.... makes for a great plinking or wifey round for sure:-D

It also does not seem to get my barrel hot at all... even after 50 rounds consecutively. Not only that, TB is available all over the place up here (Alaska), and Unique is somewhat hard to find anymore....

stubshaft
03-28-2011, 01:21 AM
I gave up Unique for AA#5, only because AA #5 meters better. Still have about 7 lbs. of it to play with though.

Bret4207
03-28-2011, 06:50 AM
I just can't get into the "powder of the month club". The only "new" powder Ive bought was Lil Gun. The next "newest" is Reloder 22. Some things just work so well that it's not worth changing- like Unique.

bobthenailer
03-28-2011, 09:42 AM
when i started reloading & casting 40 years ago i used unique for many years but switched along time ago , IMO doesent meter well and seemes to lead my barrels more than other powders loaded to the same velocties . Plus im allways looking for economy as well as accuracy
MY favorite powder for many years was bullseye for all handgun calibers for loads to 1,000 fps , burnt many a 8 pound caddi up . still have about a pound left . then i switched to tightgroup with total satisfaction ive probly used about 15 pounds up so far. havent had any unique on the shelf for over 25 years. and probley never will unless someone gives it to me like the last can i got ! but then i gave it to someone else to enjoy.

bootsnthejeep
03-28-2011, 02:14 PM
I'll always have Unique and 2400 under my bench. It's just too good at so many things.

jmsj
03-28-2011, 02:30 PM
When i started reloading for handguns 25+ years ago the man that taught me used Bullseye, Unique and 2400. I have used others but I always seem to come back to Bullseye, Unique and 2400.
jmsj

Maximumbob54
03-28-2011, 02:53 PM
I bought Unique when I started reloading since I was told it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. The only powder I have more trouble in my Lyman 55, RCBS Uniflow, or Lee Pro Auto Disk is Trail Boss. No flakey powders for me when HP-38 meters like a dream in all of the above. I will never be with the Unique fans. I have never loaded so many squibs (that I caught thankfully), jammed up powder to where it won’t flow, and had so many inconsistent throws. So for all of you that that love it, GREAT!! That’s more HP-38 and Win 231 for me!!

9.3X62AL
03-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Dirty burning?? As mentioned above, people making those remarks have little time-in-grade with Goex. There will always be Unique in my powder locker. ALWAYS. Same story for 2400.

375supermag
03-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Almost all of my handgun loads are charged with either Unique, 2400, Bullseye or Blue Dot.
I use some 296 and H110.

Unique works in the .45Colt...I shoot a lot of .45Colt. Can't say how many pounds over the years, but I know its a lot. I keep thinking about trying Trail Boss or whatever, but when it comes time to buy more, it's the Unique jug that finds its way into the truck.

drklynoon
03-28-2011, 07:00 PM
familiarity goes a long way. I'm with the crowd on this I use alot of unique. I also try 3031 in almost every rifle I have, just in case, and more often than not it works, just like unique.

wild_weasel
03-29-2011, 05:23 AM
When i started reloading for handguns 25+ years ago the man that taught me used Bullseye, Unique and 2400. I have used others but I always seem to come back to Bullseye, Unique and 2400.
jmsj

+1

Cheers,
W-W

Papa Jack
03-30-2011, 05:20 PM
I have a copy of the big Phil Sharpe Reloading manual. Not sure but I think the mine is a 1952 edition. That is one of my favorite reloading References. He has loads for Unique, 2400, for almost any of his listed calibers.
I have loaded many of these loads and never had a bad experience. I have stored away a ammo can full of FMJ loads for my 03-A3 Springfield loaded with 2400 , these are accurate and shoot like a dream. PJ

fishnbob
03-30-2011, 06:15 PM
When I started reloading pistol around 40 yrs. ago, I was told by another ol' timer that Unique was hard to beat for the pistol & some shotgun loads. I have found it to be just that, hard to beat. I also have Bullseye & 2400 but use it sparingly. I just like Unique.

Papa smurf
03-30-2011, 09:04 PM
God bless Phil Sharpe And UNIQUE

atr
03-30-2011, 09:17 PM
as a true believer I have never strayed from Unique...

10x
03-30-2011, 11:05 PM
Hi Ben,

I have found this
Unique powder from 1899

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_8_47/ai_76558924/

"Located in the Ballistics Laboratory of Alliant Powder is a jug of water which contains a batch of Unique powder that was produced in 1899. Periodically, a small sample is withdrawn, dried and test fired. After 102 years, it still meets the current specifications for Unique."

Can you confirm it please?

At 03:32 PM 3/31/2010 -0400, you wrote:
>I do not know exactly but it was approximately 1900. It was originally
>made by the Laflin & Rand Powder Company. DuPont absorbed L&R at some
>point. When DuPont was forced to break up by the Government, Hercules
>and the Atlas Powder Companies were formed. Hercules started business
>on Jan 1, 1913 and Unique was one of the powders they were given to
>produce, along with Bullseye and a few others.
>
>Thanks for your note and have a nice day.
>
>Ben Amonette
>Consumer Service Manager
>Alliant Powder Company
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: 10x@telus.net [mailto:10x@telus.net]
>Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2010 10:38 PM
>To: Alliant Reloading
>Subject: Alliant Powder - Ask the Expert Form
>
>

>10x@telus.net

>
>
>What year was Unique first produced?
>

felix
03-30-2011, 11:21 PM
Confirm what? Dupont offloaded its nitroglycerin formulated gunpowders to Hercules and Atlas because DuPont had the dynamite market and was not willing to give that up. It was 50 years before DuPont produced another gunpowder (700X) with nitroglycerin. Nitroglycerin is NOT water soluble, and therefore will protect the powder from outside influences that will destroy the powder when the powder does not contain more than a certain percentage of the nitroglycerin. ... felix

10x
03-31-2011, 06:14 AM
Confirm what? Dupont offloaded its nitroglycerin formulated gunpowders to Hercules and Atlas because DuPont had the dynamite market and was not willing to give that up. It was 50 years before DuPont produced another gunpowder (700X) with nitroglycerin. Nitroglycerin is NOT water soluble, and therefore will protect the powder from outside influences that will destroy the powder when the powder does not contain more than a certain percentage of the nitroglycerin. ... felix

Confirm that they did have a batch of Unique over 100 years old that they tested for pressures and that it's properties remained un changed.
My apology for the vague "cut and paste".

NHlever
03-31-2011, 07:30 AM
I have shot a lot of Unique over the years, more than any other powder I think. These days I'm sneaking a little Universal in there, and have found greater accuracy with some combinations in modest loads for the .44 Mag., and .45 Colt for example. I doubt my Unique is going away completely any time soon though.

felix
03-31-2011, 10:02 AM
Unique, Bullseye,Reddot all have lots of nitroglycerin, around 30 percent or so. Could be either one burried within that water, and out of any kind of light, or temperature change. That would make it last seemingly forever. So, you should not doubt that statement. ... felix

10x
03-31-2011, 10:27 AM
Unique, Bullseye,Reddot all have lots of nitroglycerin, around 30 percent or so. Could be either one burried within that water, and out of any kind of light, or temperature change. That would make it last seemingly forever. So, you should not doubt that statement. ... felix

I do not doubt it at all. I have fired 30-30 loads that used unique from 1967 that I found in my farmhouse. The velocities from those loads were no different than velocities from powder manufactured a couple of years ago. Those reloads from 1967 went through plus 70F to minus 45F between 1978 and 2010 as the farmhouse was unheated. Freeze / thaw for over forty years didn't seem to hurt it. .22 Rim fire ammo from the same time and same shelf seemed to be uneffected as well.

My question to Ben was to confirm information found on a website. Ben said yes.
A bit of Unique powder history that is interesting and shows that powder (at least Unique) can be stable if stored correctly.

greg gremlin
04-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Started using Unique in 70's and yesterday shot my Remington 788 30-30. Used Lee 150 gr gc and 10 grains of unique for 1544 fps. Plinked at a 200 yard rock and had a blast. Use Unique in several handguns and my 20 gage. greg [smilie=s:

x101airborne
04-04-2011, 08:51 AM
I just can't get into the "powder of the month club". The only "new" powder Ive bought was Lil Gun. The next "newest" is Reloder 22. Some things just work so well that it's not worth changing- like Unique.

I am not as seasoned as most here, but I load almost everything in Unique. I keep other powders on hand, but all my handguns use unique from 32 acp to 454 casull. It is my fav in 357 mag and I would buy it by the TON if I could. Last count I have 12 - 4 pound empties around here. And now that my rifles use it too, looks like I may have to move my H-4895 over a bit to make room.

Ed in North Texas
04-04-2011, 09:15 AM
My first 4 lbs of Unique was bought in the late '60s and came in a metal keg (wish I still had that empty keg, lost in a move). I've been using it ever since. I use more in 12 gauge light loads than in metallic cartridges (that makes sense, doesn't it?), but it has never left my stock.

Reference confirmation of the statement about the 1899 Unique, that statement is also in the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual #1.

Good shooting to all.

4given
04-05-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm using Unique in my 44 special for the Classic Skeeter Skelton load but I sure would like to find somthing that was cleaner, meters better and works just as good!

Crash_Corrigan
04-05-2011, 12:01 PM
When I was a NYC LEO I carried handloaded rounds with Unique. When I became a reloader the first powder I bought was Unique. I buy it in the the 8# plastic jugs.

I use it in everything from my 9 MM's to my 30-06 and 8 x 57 MM. I have 20 smokeless powder weapons to feed and my go to powder is Unique. I may get a 8# of Red Dot soon as I use it for my .44 Special and .41 Magnum. Those guns I tend to shoot a lot.

curiousgeorge
04-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Include me as a dedicated Unique user. It really was my only powder when I first started loading for .38, .357, and shotguns. I burned 3 eight pound kegs from 1976 through the early 90's along with I don't know how many one pound cans. I had started loading for rifles and other pistol calibers and was using several powders by then, but was never without Unique. Bullseye, Unique, 2400, 700x or Red Dot, IMR-4064, 3031, and 4350 were my only powders for a long, long time. I now have a whole shelf full of different powders but not because I wanted to try them all. Over the years I have bought out several complete loading set ups and am still amazed at how many odd (to me) powders that others were using.

And if push came to shove and I was forced to pick just one or two powders, Unique would be one of them.

Steve

Char-Gar
04-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Every years sees new powders on the markets that are improved, better, cleaner or whatever. Shooters rush to buy them and never realize that this is all about marketing and market share.

New things must come on the market to keep people buying new stuff. That is why, automobiles models change every years. Folks just must have the newest, that is part of the way the human racket is strung.

The wise folks, use their cars, computers and phones until they are flat worn out and parts are not available. The same folks load with Unique and 2400.

You really don't need the new stuff just because somebody wants to sell it to you. They have their agendas don't you know?

Dframe
04-05-2011, 12:35 PM
If something works for you why change?

Well said. Yes I think unique is dirty. I also think it meters well, is consistent, and provides power at a reasonable price. So I have to clean my gun? So What.

mdi
04-05-2011, 12:49 PM
As a new reloader, of course I used Unique. That was over 30 years ago and there's still some Unique in my powder cabinet (not the same can though!). The only time I remember it being "dirty" was when I used it in light loads in .38 Special (125 gr. bullet). I've since learned to use heavier loads with heavier boolits. Works for me...

felix
04-05-2011, 01:23 PM
People change from Unique and 2400 mainly because they are bored, and not because of necessity. After using it after 40 year's worth, who wouldn't change unless they are shooters foremost, with research far down the path of enjoyment. ... felix

Char-Gar
04-05-2011, 10:02 PM
I am first, last and always a rifleman with little interest in research. But, I a very glad there are folks who are interested in research, for I have profited richly from their curiosity.

10x
04-06-2011, 12:45 AM
9 grains of Unique behind a 130 grain lee bullet with gas check sized to .311. gave a 3/4" 10 shot group at fifty yards out of my 300 Savage Model 99 savage this morning. I have always had very good luck and good accuracy with Unique.

man.electric
04-06-2011, 01:15 PM
When I started loading I read Lee's book and went off to buy supplies. At the gun show I was at, I totally spaced out which powder I was looking for(2400) and the gentleman running the table steered me towards unique as it was more 'forgiving' then 2400 in .44 mag loads. I now have all kinds of powder down in the dungeon(including the 2400), but unique will always be a goto powder for me.

mroliver77
04-15-2011, 12:18 AM
I read a long time ago that Unique was first promoted as a gallery powder for the .30 US (30-40) cartridge. I tried it with the 311284 in a Krag and it was a winner! 11 gr in my .44 mag was most excellent! 6 gr in the .45 ACP with 239gr ball loads is just the ticket.

Unique and 3031 would handle all my needs but as Felix states, I would get bored.
Jay

45-70marlin
04-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Unique cant be beat! At least in my way of thinking. I have used it for 35 years and will continue to. Great stuff.

white eagle
04-16-2011, 11:38 AM
I just found the beauty
of unique
won't be without it again

kopperl
04-16-2011, 10:56 PM
OK, how about using Unique in a .22K Hornet or a 223. I want to push a 36g gc boollit about 12-1400 fps. What would be a starting point. Everything I read says 800x or trailboss.

Thanks!

ColColt
04-16-2011, 11:14 PM
Unique was probably one of he first powders I ever used. It was dirty, however. The "new and improved" Unique is a bit better but not by leaps and bounds. My 5.5 gr of Universal in 357 Mag cases will shoot clover leafs all day with a 158 gr LSWC and I don't have the smoke and unburned powder I get from Unique. Still, I like Unique and don't think there's much better for the 45 Colt or 44 Special, for that matter if you're not looking for magnum velocities. It was and still is a great powder but, I like Universal and HS-6 better.

Gee_Wizz01
04-22-2011, 08:54 PM
I have been using Unique for 40 years, and there's never been a time when I didn't have a can on my shelf. I use it for 45ACP, 45 Colt , many rifle calibers, and my dove loads in shotguns. I don't get the concern over "dirty", as I still clean my firearms after shooting. Besides, being a cast boolit shooter how can you worry over dirty! I also use a lot of Bullseye, Red Dot and 2400. My biggest regret is that I didn't save all those little square cans! I can't believe people more for those old cans than they cost new with a pound of powder inside!

G

35remington
04-23-2011, 04:42 AM
Unique ain't that dirty, quite honestly. I'm not expecting to eat off the gun, nor am I going to scarf down a Big Mac without cleaning my hands if I shoot the Most Approved Cleanliness Powder through my guns instead of "dirty" old Unique. Every time I hear people mention 'dirtiness" in conjunction with Unique the Saturday Night Live skit of Phil Hartman's Anal Retentive Chef comes to mind.

I have found Universal curiously position sensitive, offsetting its better metering advantage over Unique.

Check out the position sensitivity yourself and report back. Powder by the primer, powder by the bullet. Odd thing to report, admittedly, but consistent over several calibers that leave some to large amounts of airspace.

Trey45
04-24-2011, 08:21 AM
Almost all of my handgun loads are charged with either Unique, 2400, Bullseye or Blue Dot.
I use some 296 and H110.

It sounds like your powder selection and mine are exactly the same for pistols, with the exception of 296, I use H110, same powder I know. I also use Red Dot quite a bit in 45ACP.

Unique in plinker rifle loads is a hoot too. It seems like the universal plinker rifle load is 10 grains of Unique, regardless of what weight boolit and what caliber the rifle cartridge is(within reason of course). 10 grains of Unique will drive it accurately.

Gee_Wizz01
04-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Ditto on what Trey45 said!

G

man.electric
04-24-2011, 11:13 AM
You nailed it head on there Trey. Unique can do a lot of things decently with only one charge. I have found 6.0 grains of Unique perfect to push any boolit(once again within reason) from a 45 ACP. There are better powders for individual applications and desires which is why most of us have 20 different powders laying around, but I keep my Lyman 55 powder measure set to 6 grains for those days that I feel like loading a few boxes of 45 and heading to the range.

358wcf
05-11-2011, 06:19 PM
I started loading ammunition and casting boolits back in the late 60's- loading 38Special with a tiny 1/2 lb can of bullseye- when it ran out, I switched to Unique, and I still use it as my mainstay powder for all revolver loads and light rifle loads.
Available, versatile, dependable, cheap, yes, a bit smoky/dirty- but, what more to ask of a simple powder.
I have enough to last the rest of my days, and my 2 son in laws will have to use up the rest---
No, it can't do everything for everyone, but if light to moderate loads are your desire, Unique will suit you well!

Chuck
358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Sprue
05-11-2011, 10:51 PM
I've hardly ever used jktd bullets in my experience. Wonder how many of those whom knock Unique ever thought about bullet lube being the main ingredient in regards to dirt and filth.

My toys get cleaned post shooting anyway. So whats the point I ask.

Unique is used practically for most everything around here. I do applaud those that choose not to not use Unique though.

Dale53
05-11-2011, 11:14 PM
kopperl;
My experience with Unique is with the Standard .22 Hornet. 3.0 grs of Unique will give you about 1300 fps behind the Lyman 225415 cast bullet. In the K-Hornet, 3.5 grs of Unique behind the same bullet should be a good place to start for your requirements.

Dale53

Bullwolf
05-19-2011, 11:46 PM
I have been using, and loving Unique for years. (at least 25+ years now)
I have used it in a large quantity and variety of both cast Boolit, and jacketed bullet loads.

I have strayed and dabbled a bit with Win 231, 296, and H110.
Winchester 231 loads in a wide variety, and range of calibers, and it meters quite well too. I found it to be really dirty in most of the calibers that I used it for however.

It's odd, because so many people really love Winchester 231. Maybe a good amount of it is just the users personal preference, like with myself using Unique.

I do use a fair amount of IMR powder in my rifle loads, but they meter terribly for me.
IMR 3031 fits in quite a lot of different applications as well, with the exception of a few really slow burning magnum rifles.
But , I do have quite a few pet loads for rifles using cast Boolits and Unique.

I have also used a few other Hercules/ Alliant powders. I have found some really nice applications for Bullseye, Red dot, and Blue dot, as well as a few other powders in between, even RE 22... But, I use far more Unique for my hand loads than any other powder. It just fits so well for me, and in so many different calibers too. If I had to pick just one powder to use, it would be Unique - hands down.

I have shot some pretty old lots of Unique. As long as I don't light load Unique, it has always burned pretty clean for me. I just don't understand why folks say it is a dirty burning powder. In my experience it has always been more than satisfactory in the cleanliness department.

+1 On the suggestion that perhaps some folks are confusing bullet lube residue as to the cause of dirtiness and fouling, and are mistakenly blaming Unique.

When using a high quality lube, and definitely when using jacketed bullets, Unique has always been an exceptionally clean burning powder for me.

Unique measures just fine for me, through most of the powder measures that I have had the pleasure of using. I wish I could say the same thing about IMR stick powders.

I can also get some really clean burning Red dot loads, but the same formula still applies. A heavier charge of Red dot seems burns quite a bit cleaner, than a really light load of Red dot. Bullseye, and Red dot are kind of fast burners though, and you can often come up with a lower pressure load, using a bit slower powder.

Unique always seems to be right in the middle, and it is often a perfect fit.

I changed to Red dot for a while for my light, informal 12 gauge re-loads that are just used for breaking skeet/clays. Mostly because when I was using Red dot, I consumed a bit less powder, and we break quite a few boxes of skeet.
Red dot burned pretty clean in such light loadings, but when Red dot isn't readily available, or gets hard to come by, my old standby 12 gauge Unique load still works great.

No matter how far I stray, I always come back to Unique sooner or later.

I find that I prefer Unique over almost any other powder for most of my handgun loads, with just a few (usually magnum) exceptions.

- Bullwolf

giz189
05-21-2011, 01:49 AM
Yep it is a great powder. I just wonder why folks think it is so dirty when you have boolit lube on the boolit that probably does most of the smoking. Seems to in mine anyway. And what kind of powder measure doesn't meter Unique well? I have used it in conjunction with RCBS powder measure since 1976 and never had a problem with metering. Just wondering?

Mossy Nugget
05-21-2011, 02:37 AM
I use Unique in my pa63 with excellent results, and 12ga. for sporting clays ditto. the last time I went to sportsmans' den, they were sold out. (Somebody else must like it, too) I bought 8 lb. Universal instead. The deviation in pressures and velocity are less at the lower charges with Unique according to my manuals, but maybe that is where the "dirt" comes from? It seemed clean when loaded hot enough to cycle the pa63, and was cleaner in my shotgun than wallyworld Federal shells. Well, working up a new load is the fun part of trying a different powder. I haven't shot the Universal yet, maybe better, maybe not so much, but I'm in it for 8 pounds!

BWelch47
05-21-2011, 06:34 PM
After reloading for over 40 yrs, Unique has no peers. It is the most universal handgun powder I know. Yes, there are other powders that are better in developing higher velocities.develop more accurate results, but none can be loaded in as many caliburs(handgun) as Unique.
If I was limited to only one powder, let it be Unique!!!!!!!!!!!!

44 flattop
05-27-2011, 12:05 AM
I'm with the crowd on this I use alot of unique. I also try 3031 in almost every rifle I have, just in case, and more often than not it works, just like unique.
Yep! I agree 100%. These are the two powders that are shot more than anything else at my house, I go through 8lb keg after 8lb keg of both. Oh, I use others, but nothing like these two. And of the two, Unique is burned 10 to 1 over 3031.

From the 22 Hornet to a .458 and everything in between is fed Unique around here. From the .32 H&R to .50AE in pistols. Deer in the neighborhood fear Unique, they know that my wife with her trusty Marlin 30-30 using 10grs of Unique and a 150gr PB cast is gonna get 'em:lol:

tuckerdog
06-11-2011, 04:37 PM
you mean to tell me that there are other handgun powders than unique and 2400!!?

10x
06-12-2011, 05:45 PM
you mean to tell me that there are other handgun powders than unique and 2400!!?

Apparently

1874Sharps
06-12-2011, 06:16 PM
An old timer reloader and shooter told me back in the 70s when I was getting started in this sort of sport that if you stranded on a desert isle and could have only one pistol powder, UNIQUE would be the choice hands down. Over the decades my experience has confirmed that it is often times the powder that will give best performance and accuracy in standard (non-magnum) cartridges. It works for stout shotgun loads and for light high power rifle loads as well. It is very versatile and even if it is a bit dirtier than some other powders, it is clean enough.

Shooter6br
06-12-2011, 06:19 PM
i have 4 lbs of Unique. Could not get Universal locally. The Unique measures differanty than the old version. It is 1 grain lighter . It is still" sooty" Bought a 4lb jug of Universal. Measures better and is not "sooty; Just my preference

10x
06-12-2011, 11:33 PM
i have 4 lbs of Unique. Could not get Universal locally. The Unique measures differanty than the old version. It is 1 grain lighter . It is still" sooty" Bought a 4lb jug of Universal. Measures better and is not "sooty; Just my preference

I can get Unique in Canada. Universal is at times just a bit harder to find.
As for "sooty" - there seems to be an optimum load with Unique that burns cleaner. I have found this was usually the most accurate load as well. Unique is always found on the shelves of the stores that sell powder - Universal sometimes is not.

w5pv
06-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Is Unique a rather flat longer looking grain of powder?I was given a cask of powder and my friend said that it was either Unique or red dot.Red dot the best I can remember is a round flat grain,thanks -w5pv

GaryN
06-19-2011, 12:32 AM
Red dot is easy to tell. It has a red dot in it every here and there. Blue dot has a blue dot in it. Unique is a flake type powder. That's how I describe it. It might not be the correct nomenclature. They actually look a lot alike except for the red dot.

10x
06-19-2011, 12:52 AM
I just pulled 150 .455 colt (webley) loads of 235, 250, and 265 grain bullets - all loaded with Unique. The loads were about 3 or 3.5 grains over any of the maximum loads listed for the .455. The older gentleman who gave me the loaded rounds was shooting them in a 1917 third model hand ejector S&W. Balloon head cases to too boot. That the fine old gun stood up to years of overloads and did not blow up, or shoot loose.

BTW: Unless you are absolutely sure of what powder you have got - for the price of a new gun or missing body parts it is simply better to buy new powder that you are sure of what you are getting. The words "I think it might be Unique" can be dangerous - especially if it isn't.

jtwodogs
06-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Dirty little wench. But she do sing a pretty tune.:)

06-21-2011, 06:10 AM
I had been shooting some light 38 sp. with Unique and getting powder left in the case, a lot of soot. After reading these posts I went to 4.9 with a Lee 158 SWC and the powder issue is gone. Appears to leave less soot also.
Thanks

Shooter6br
06-21-2011, 08:00 AM
Since I shoot a Smith Mod 25-2 45acp I have to handel the cases in moon clips. My hands get very black when using Unique. Clean when using Universal. I will use Unique in other pistolstill it is gone. Universal also measures better. Just me

Fishman
06-25-2011, 08:25 AM
Red dot is easy to tell. It has a red dot in it every here and there. Blue dot has a blue dot in it. Unique is a flake type powder. That's how I describe it. It might not be the correct nomenclature. They actually look a lot alike except for the red dot.

I seem to recall someone mentioning that a lot or two of red dot had been produced that did not contain the red dots. Maybe someone who knows can confirm? I'd be extremely cautious with that can of powder w5pv.