PDA

View Full Version : Uberti 45-70 HI WALL

cole4570
12-02-2006, 11:57 PM
I am looking at purchasing a Uberti 45-70 HIWall, and was wondering if you guys have any luck with them, or any complaints. It comes with a Petersoli long range rear tang site, and looks as though the rifle was never used. It has great wood and outstanding metal, the guy is wanting 795.00 for it. I am more than willing to pay around th at price for this rifle. Any comments would be great.

Thanks

Cole

omgb
12-03-2006, 03:32 AM
While the Uberti is a good gun there are a few things you should know.

First, new,, they can be had for the price you are mentioning.

Second, the rifleing is set at 1/20 which means that you will have to stick to bullets under 400 grains if you want good accuracy.

Third, that Pedersoli tang sight is their cheapest sight. It is not adjustable for windage and the elevation adjustment is rather coarse.

The price you are looking at is a bit high unless the rifle has double set triggers. What barrel length and weight is it? Take a look at www.buffaloarms.com (http://www.buffaloarms.com) and see what they have under Uberti High Walls. You might be surprised.

NickSS
12-03-2006, 12:15 PM
I have not owned one myself but have several friends who do. They shoot well and apear to be good quality. I have been in several matches where they were being used and they give nothing up compared to other rifles as far as accuracy goes. A really good buddy of mine has one in 40-65 Winchester that I have shot and it shoots as well for me as a custom rolling block with a set trigger I have in the same caliber. It does it at less than half the price too.

Bullshop
12-03-2006, 02:34 PM
"Second, the rifleing is set at 1/20 which means that you will have to stick to bullets under 400 grains if you want good accuracy."

Give me a break dude! Under 400? I dont think so! There has been some perty good shootin goin on for about 130 years with trapdoors and 1/20 twist and boolits well over 500gn. Even done the same myself a time or twice!
BIC/BS

Lee
12-03-2006, 02:49 PM
I have 2 different Peedersoli tang sights, the el-cheapo kind. For one, Brownells had extra peeps of a size that would fit. Price right also.
For the other, I had to Internet search, was fortunate enough to find a gentleman who made an extra peep (aperture?) for $15.00. Also a reasonable price.
As pointed out before, some of the Pedersoli tang sights are as cheaply made as is possible. And if you purchase the weapon and wish to acquire a different size peep, I will be glad to provide that information...........................Lee:)

felix
12-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Even a fast twist with shallow grooves won't work with satisfaction. Trapdoors typically have 22 twist? Even so, 500 grains would be no challenge at 22 with deeper grooves. ... felix

montana_charlie
12-03-2006, 03:08 PM
"Second, the rifleing is set at 1/20 which means that you will have to stick to bullets under 400 grains if you want good accuracy."

Give me a break dude! Under 400? I dont think so! There has been some perty good shootin goin on for about 130 years with trapdoors and 1/20 twist and boolits well over 500gn. Even done the same myself a time or twice!
BIC/BS
I'm not sure I have enough background to comment on this but...maybe omgb should have added "at the longer ranges".

I don't know where to find one quickly, but there are 'calculators' which will give you the optimum bullet length (or maybe that's maximum length) for a given twist.
Once a bullet gets over 1.2 or 1.3 inches, it seems the calculators always want the twist to be faster than 1 in 20.

True...the rifles used 130 years ago had a standard load available which carried a 500 grain bullet. But I don't know if that twist/bullet combination was seen by anybody as a good one for shooting long range matches.
I think it's also true that when the hiwall arrived on the scene, they were chambered in a way that was optomized for short bullets.

Basically all modern shooters, at ranges beyond 600, are using 'long' bullets and faster twists. That has to mean something.

cole4570 has another option which has not been mentioned. Pedersoli is currently tooling up to produce hiwalls. With their reputation for barrel quality, it might be a good idea to wait and see what those look like.
CM

felix
12-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Correct! 18 twist is the twist to use in a 1000 yard match with 500 plus grainers, and would shoot good with a substantial 90 degree crosswind too. However, if you are going to shoot 300-325 grainers at 200 yards, 26 twist would be just what the doctor ordered. The latest winchester 45LC, 44mag have exactly this twist. ... felix

omgb
12-03-2006, 05:25 PM
MC and Felix knew what I meant and should have said. My trouble is myopia. I wanted one for shooting metal gongs out past 500 yards and ran into trouble with long bullets and BP loads. Not enough velocity at that twist rate. That's what I get for a fast post. Thanks for setting the record straight guys. FWIW, I think the Uberti is an excellent value.

Bullshop
12-03-2006, 07:32 PM
At the Quiggly shoot targets are engauged at ranges between 220 and about 850 yards. There is a class for trapdoors most if not all origonals. The 1884 seams to be preferd. I cant remember if the TD is 1/20 or 1/22 but they do some fine shooting. I had a nice chat with the winner of the TD class and his score was far from bottom for the entire shoot all classes combined. As I recall his boolit was something resembling the 500gn service round. Origonal rifle, origonal type ammo with 500+gn boolits and BP.origonal sights(buffington) and high scores at long range. Enough proofe?
BIC/BS

Phil
12-03-2006, 07:57 PM
I just love the old 45-70. May rebarrel a Ruger No.1 for it someday. Still have all my brass, dies, and cases.

http://www.researchpress.co.uk/targets/ballistics/sandyhook.htm

Cheers,

Phil

gregg
12-04-2006, 12:14 AM
I think? TD is 1-22

twotrees
12-13-2006, 08:12 AM
I have a Ubreti Hi-wall and even though I was cheating ,using a duplex load of grey under 55 gr of Holy Black (3F) I have been shooting the Lee 500 gr bullet at ranges from 300 meters out to 1000 meters. If I do my part it will ring iron at all ranges mentioned. I don't have a paper shoot on-line until March and maybe I'll get my clock cleaned, but I think this rifle with Pedersoli long range tang sights shoots heavy's just fine.

TwoTrees

Marlin Junky
12-13-2006, 07:35 PM
I am looking at purchasing a Uberti 45-70 HIWall, and was wondering if you guys have any luck with them, or any complaints. It comes with a Petersoli long range rear tang site, and looks as though the rifle was never used. It has great wood and outstanding metal, the guy is wanting 795.00 for it. I am more than willing to pay around th at price for this rifle. Any comments would be great.

Thanks

Cole

What do you want to do with the rifle? I don't remember exactly if I was examining a Uberti or a Pedersoli but the action was not an exact copy of the 1885 High Wall. The Italian knock-off did not cock upon chambering which is one of the several reasons I prefer the High Wall over the Rolling Block. If the Italians can't even get this detail right, then I'd rather have a Ruger #1 in 45-70.

MJ

Ringer
12-13-2006, 07:38 PM
Just happen to have the TD specs in front of me-1 turn in 22"

Buckshot
12-14-2006, 03:57 AM
..............The Brits did serious damage to their targets at 1000 yards using their 45 cal muzzle loaders. Generally 500 to 540gr slug over 75 to 95grs of BP. The rifling twist for the Whitworths were 1-20. I believe the competitors (Rigby, Metford, etc) used the same, but some did tighten up to 18" later on.

..............Buckshot

NickSS
12-14-2006, 04:21 AM
I own at least 8 45-70 rifles with twists of 1in 18, 1in 20 and 1in 22. I do not notice any real accuracy advantage in any of them until your boolit weight goes over 500 gr at any distance I have shot them at (out to 1200 yards). When you go over 520 or so the 1 oin 22 starts loosing it at longer ranges like over 600 yards. When you go over 540 the 1 in 20 starts behaving about the same way. The 1in 18 is what you need for those 540 and heavier slugs at over 600 yards. I only shoot straight black in my rifles and have shot a clean score using a 535 gr boolit in a 1 in 20 twist at 1200 yards when I could still see (not now and my eyesight is a limiting factor now) Next its scope sights.

windwalker
12-14-2006, 07:48 AM
Correct! 18 twist is the twist to use in a 1000 yard match with 500 plus grainers, and would shoot good with a substantial 90 degree crosswind too. However, if you are going to shoot 300-325 grainers at 200 yards, 26 twist would be just what the doctor ordered. The latest winchester 45LC, 44mag have exactly this twist. ... felix

try this and tell mee a 1in 20 twist wont stablize 500 grainers these guns had 1in 22 twist
bernie:-D http://www.researchpress.co.uk/targets/sandyhook.htm

MT Chambers
12-14-2006, 02:33 PM
I had a Uberti 1885 low wall in 38/55 that I could not get to shoot well no matter what, I ended up trading it for a Lever .44 that shot much better. I'm sure mine was an exception as It was made with a .381" bore. On any good single shot you will appreciate good qual. tang sights, with repeatable settings and I find you need to spend the extra for quality. I have both "parts unknown" and MVA sights and would recommend them over the factory Uberti or Pedersoli sights.

BruceB
12-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Jack O'Connor wrote about custom rifles one time, comparing them to sisters.

He said that one of the girls was extremely pleasant, very nice-looking, but generally nothing exceptional to look at. Like a custom rifle that was quite ordinary as far as appearance goes.

The OTHER sister, like a truly exceptional rifle..... he put it like this, paraphrased: "Change a line or two here, a tweak in proportions there, and compared to her sister she was a raving beauty, a creation that caused young men to tear through the dark streets, uttering strange cries to the moon...and so it is with beautiful rifles".

Which is a long way of saying that a highwall rifle, to me, is the plainer-Jane of the two. I find their appearance kinda clunky, compared to the svelte and streamlined low-wall model. Those Browning low-wall replicas have been calling to me since I saw the first one. The highwall leaves me cold.

Oh well, there are even some poor, aesthetically-challenged riflefolk out there who think MARTINIS are handsome, for Heaven's sake!!!! Yeah, maybe they are, in a dark room with NO lights....

Boz330
12-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Oh well, there are even some poor, aesthetically-challenged riflefolk out there who think MARTINIS are handsome, for Heaven's sake!!!! Yeah, maybe they are, in a dark room with NO lights....[/QUOTE]

Wait a minute here, thems fightin words!:Fire:

I think that you can apply the same analogy to Martinis. I personally like the Martinis and some of the sporters that were and still are used in Africa are some real pieces of art. And functinal as well.
On the other hand I shoot a highwall in BPCRS competition.[smilie=1:

Bob

SharpsShooter
12-14-2006, 08:02 PM
I have a Browning High-Wall with full octagon barrel and very nice wood that is purty in any light.

SS

floodgate
12-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Bruce:

Then there's the Remington "Hotbox", a truly UGLY rifle with that "Tombstone" receiver! Shoots good, though....

floodgate