PDA

View Full Version : Lee collet die and annealed case necks

singleshotbuff
12-02-2006, 11:45 PM
Gentlemen,

As mentioned in a previous thread or 2, I was unhappy with the neck tension produced by my new 8X57mm Lee collet die. The rounds shot good, but I could move seated bullets with my fingers.

Anyway, I ordered an undersized mandrel from Lee (which I finally recieved today), in the mean time I tried resizing cases that I had annealed.

I know there are 9 thousand ways posted on the web to anneal cases. I simply held the cases in the flame of a propane torch, with a pair of pliers, until I could see the color of the brass change below the shoulder, then dropped them into cold water. Probably not the best or most consistent way to do it, but it has worked for me in the past.

I resized these cases with my Lee collet die, using the original (loose) mandrel.

It made a HUGH difference in neck tension! I can not move these bullets by hand like I could before. I CAN push them further into the cases if I LEAN on the bullet against the side of my bench, but it takes some effort. I'm fairly sure these rounds will survive the trip from the magazine to the chamber.

I plan to shoot these rounds tomorrow, and I'll feed them from the magazine.

I also plan to load my next batch using my new "undersized" mandrel from Lee. I may even try some annealed cases with the undersized mandrel, just to check neck tension.

I'm guessing the annealing eliminated some "springback" from the sized brass??

SSB

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-03-2006, 07:39 AM
Singshotbuff,

Sounds like you're on an interesting path towards learning some stuff about annealing and neck sizing. I can't answer your question, being I'm not that sophisticated a reloader (though I'm working on it.), but I'm sure interested in your results all the way around. Please be kind enough to keep posting the results you're getting.

Dave

Buckshot
12-04-2006, 02:32 PM
................Freshly annealed, and maybe until the 3rd reloading the necks drag on the mandrel when resizing. Work hardening then causes enough springback to where they don't drag but still hold slugs well. How much the casenecks expand in the chamber and then how much they get sized down can increase or decrease the number of reloadings you can get (and caselife) before annealing again.

I have a BUNCH of LC45 brass that has been fired only from my 1903A1, and several batches of it have well over 30 re-loadngs under thier belts. All cast loads, BTW. Some of the primer pockets are getting a bit casual and I'll sure be sorry to see them go.

..................Buckshot

mazo kid
12-04-2006, 10:41 PM
SSBuff, have you tried rotating your cases 3 times while sizing, 120 degrees at a time? This will make a big difference also. Emery

singleshotbuff
12-05-2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks Emery, I'll try that next time I load these cases.

SSB