PDA

View Full Version : Choate or Tacstar magazine extensions???

winelover
03-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Anyone have a preference for a specific brand of shotgun magazine tube extensions? Looking to install a flashlight mount (Elzetta ZSM-T) on either a Mossberg 835 or a Remington 1100.

Winelover

markinalpine
03-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Lot's of articles, including equipment reviews:
Remington 870 Blog (http://www.rem870.com/)
Here's an archived review of magazine extensions, including Choate and TacStar:
Magazine Extension Reviews (http://www.rem870.com/2011/01/27/magazine-extensions-for-remington-870-shotgun-nordic-components-choate-tacstar-remington-ati/)
Mark [smilie=s:

blasternank
03-27-2011, 08:51 PM
I've used both and seen many others with both of those and they seem to work just fine.

nicholst55
03-27-2011, 10:05 PM
If you have a late model 870, just remember to remove the two 'tabs' that protrude into the mag tube before installing your extension. The gun won't feed with extra rounds in the extension tube with the tabs still in place.

markinalpine
03-28-2011, 02:05 PM
If you have a late model 870, just remember to remove the two 'tabs' that protrude into the mag tube before installing your extension. The gun won't feed with extra rounds in the extension tube with the tabs still in place.

I flattened the "tabs" or "dimples" using a 5/8" socket, 1/2" square drive, and a pair of Vice-Grips, curved jaws that were just wide enough to still fit in the drive hole of the socket. I placed the socket in the mag tube with the square drive hole facing out, inserted the vice grip jaws, and clamped down, being careful to stay on the dimple area, and moving the socket in and out a tiny bit at a time. I tightened the jaws incrementally until I couldn't keep "Mashing" the dimple without touching the outside surface of the mag tube with the jaw.
Then I repeated this operation on the other side. After all this, I used a 1/2" diameter drum sander on a Dremel to gently grind off the remaining dimple inside, just enough to the follower could slide past the dimples.
THEN I went ahead and polished the altered inside areas with a 1/2" felt bob on the Dremel using only jewelers rouge. The last step was to clean the tube out with a mineral spirits dampened cloth (best reason to save old 100% COTTON Tee shirts), blew it out with a hair dryer set on low heat, then swabbed it with Johnsons Paste Wax, and polished any excess wax with another old Tee shirt scrap.
Easy-Peasy!
Good luck,
Mark :coffeecom