PDA

View Full Version : panlube gas check boolits

bigted
03-27-2011, 11:28 AM
here is one that i didnt think about till i was about to do it...pan lube the gas check boolits and the procedure needed for doing so. question is this;

do i pan lube em THEN install the gas checks? .......or.......

do i install the gas checks THEN pan lube em?

i pan lube all my boolits that are promised to my blackpowder loads as i dont want to screw around with cleaning out my heated lyman luber/sizer. normally i just pan lube and then run em thru a lee sizer that seems to do really good with squishing the lube into the grooves and rounding off the irregualaritys in my boolits...however ...

now i have cast these rcbs 45-500's and want to do some experimenting with them in my marlin with blackpowder but dont know how to lube these boolits...either i lube first then mess with slippery g/c's or i install the checks first and try to squeeze them on tight enough to not come off when i run em thru the sizer after....[smilie=b:

:lovebooli

mdi
03-27-2011, 12:26 PM
I pan lube my .44 cal. gas checked boolits. But it take an extra step (don't matter for me though). I run them through a .432" sizing die (Lee push through) to attach the gas checks, pan lube them, and then size again for my .429" groove dia. Ruger (.430" works good).

Calamity Jake
03-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Size and GC then pan lube

bigted
03-27-2011, 09:16 PM
rite on...well i guess i got it bass akwards again. lol...seems like i learn everything this way...lol.

i panlubed then after cutting them out with my "cookie...er boolit" cutter i sliped with them trying to install the checks then i ran em thru thr lee .459 sizer and this crimped the g/c on the base but my what a mess to work with...think ill try the other way next time.

thanks...

Ted

Moonie
04-01-2011, 03:49 PM
I've done it both ways, much less mess seating checks first. Seating checks after means you either have to clean off the base or push the check onto the lubed base... Trust me, check em first.