PDA

View Full Version : wheel weights stamps

brad2506
03-27-2011, 05:00 AM
im just sorting through 147kg of wheel weights (320 pounds) and am noticing a lot of what seem like clip on lead WW but have FN stamped on it.
im used to the usual stamps eg Zn, Pb, Fe but have never seen Fn ?
the cut but feel a little harder than lead but not as hard as zinc ?

also what weight do you guys normally get from a 20 litre bucket (5 gallon roughly) of wheel weights, total weight and rough yeaild of lead, zinc, scrap etc ?

nanuk
03-27-2011, 06:34 AM
I got about 140lbs of WW out of one of my 5gal buckets

very little garbage and no zinc/steel weights at all.

I have no truck right now, but soon as I do, I'm going to make more rounds and load up.

Andy_P
03-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Trying to sort WW by "code" or appearance will only take extra time, and result in discarded lead and missed zinc.

I and many others have simply discarded the trash (valve stems, paper, etc.) and any WW that are obviously zinc or steel (i.e. "Zn" or "Fe") during the process of throwing them into the melting pot - no pre-sorting. If you pay attention, you can easily remove the "floaters" (steel and zinc), by fluxing as soon as the melt turns from an "oatmealy mush" to liquid, and then quickly skimming. If you have the heat high and take a 20 minute break, then you risk zinc going into the melt, but that's gross negligence, and is easily avoided.

Lee W
03-27-2011, 08:14 AM
It looks like FN is a style of weight.

Look here for a little explanation.

http://www.plombco.com/products

rollmyown
03-27-2011, 10:14 AM
A 10 litre bucket (food grade mayo bucket) full to the top will hold 40 kilo of sorted mixed wheel weights (stick on/ clip on).

brad2506
03-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Trying to sort WW by "code" or appearance will only take extra time, and result in discarded lead and missed zinc.

I and many others have simply discarded the trash (valve stems, paper, etc.) and any WW that are obviously zinc or steel (i.e. "Zn" or "Fe") during the process of throwing them into the melting pot - no pre-sorting. If you pay attention, you can easily remove the "floaters" (steel and zinc), by fluxing as soon as the melt turns from an "oatmealy mush" to liquid, and then quickly skimming. If you have the heat high and take a 20 minute break, then you risk zinc going into the melt, but that's gross negligence, and is easily avoided.

yeah im not actually totally sorting by stamp im picking out the stick on pure lead and am noticing lots of clipon's that are stamped Fn and was just curious.
i also grab all the obvious rubbish, zinc etc while im getting the pure lead out.

roughly 38.5kg WW - 18.5 scrap( Fe, Zn, valves etc) - 8.5kg pure lead stickon's
out of my first bucket.

shotman
03-28-2011, 07:05 AM
Well sunday was cold here so thought I would sort WWs I had about 500lbs. This is a complete mix of everything that you see in a tire shop and some things you dont .What I found seems to work
ALL these stamps were ALL lead --Micro---M-- AL---AL mc--MC---FN---T--P-- and a few odd but most I had were those stamps
Ok if they have a number only on the side away from clip --like 5--10--15--20 etc they were all zinc There are several that are stamped MCG they are very hard and did float but melted at 550 MC also has one that has a symbol it did same thing - FE didnt melt LOL
I used side cutters to check about 150 lbs and then just looked at the rest.
The odd balls I put to one side and will use the cutters to sort later . the cutters will easily cut a lead It dont scratch a pure zinc
Idid find the the MC is about 4 points harder so you may want to do just them for rifle
The FNs that was asked about ALL were lead and seem same as most as hardness
I know there are many others but these are what MOST of mine were . This bunch had about 30 lbs of steel most I have ever seen . But guess it cheaper so will see much more
I done the melts in about 5lb tests as not to mess up a large lot .
I DID NOT cast any so dont know how the group that had the ones that melted higher will work

Hastings
03-28-2011, 10:39 PM
It looks like FN is a style of weight.

Look here for a little explanation.

http://www.plombco.com/products

FN is a style of wheels on cars, normally fancy spoked and from Japan. The WW's are probably for those model vehicles. I've seen them too, in lead and iron so far.

Of course as a Jeep and Ford pickup owner, I know nothing about this. Honest!