PDA

View Full Version : Copper tubing jacket and bullet from BTSniper 257 dies!

BT Sniper
03-27-2011, 02:31 AM
Finishing up one of the first customer sets of cusutom BTSniper swage dies.

Here we have a .257 set that was one of my original 12 test dies to go off to heat treat. They came back in great shape and turned out some great looking bullets. I had posted a pick of a bullet this die made a while back from a 22 mag case but it was determened that a stronger bullet was need so off I went to perfect a copper tubing jacket die and a couple days later here you go!

These jackets where made from nothing more then a roll of standard hardware store 1/4" copper tubing. Any uneveness in the jacket walls or not being straight was solved with the copper jacket swage die.

These bullets and jackets where formed in a Lee and RCBS press with nothing more then a light hammer used to eject both the jackets and the formed bullets. Results are repeatable and consistant. Dies where very easy to use and worked as well as I could expect them to. Jacket weights where very consistant as long as you did your part to make decent cuts. Cores where simply cut from a roll of lead then weighed and if needed lead shavings where added to make bullets all weight 110 grains +or- .5 grains or less.

These first few test bullets will be heading off to customer for comment and feed back, hopefully even some decent range results. Should make far a pretty good hunting bullet, jacket walls where about .030 thick!

With this set up the core seat die of the .257 set doubles for the copper tube jacket making die.

These jackets will work, as is, for the .257 since all that is needed after it is formed is to simply seat the core. They should work too, as is, for .264 jackets and with a reducing die .243 :) jackets as well maybe!!

Unless anyone can talk me out of it I plan to make this copper tube jacket forming die avialble for order right quick! I got everything I need to put together at least 25 of them for anyone interested and would be able to deliver within about 6-8 weeks. Yes I will attempt larger tubbing jacket dies for the larger sizes of copper tube avialble and post results when I can but for now the .250 will be avialble soon.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/257coppertubejacket011.jpg
Left to right, cut tube, formed jacket, formed bullet and nose of bullet

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/257coppertubejacket006.jpg
A .308 jacket, cut 1/4 copper tube, formed jacket, and bullet profiles!

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/257coppertubejacket012.jpg
Formed jackets on left with cut tubes on right.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/257coppertubejacket007.jpg
110 grain .257 bullets ready to load!

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/257coppertubejacket014.jpg
Here is a look at the 2 die set for the 257 with the combination core seat die and copper tube jacket forming die. Pic is missing a couple base punches but this is what my custom die sets will look like that I will have to offer:)

BwBrown
03-27-2011, 03:20 AM
BT,

Those are looking mighty fine. To my eyes, those dies, jackets and finished projectiles are all works of art.
You sir have a real talent!

Bob

nicholst55
03-27-2011, 05:32 AM
I have two questions. First, is this tubing thin enough or ductile enough to expand on impact? Second, can the finished bullets be made more pointy?

It seems like that large flat tip would decrease the ballistic coefficient of the bullet when compared to something like the way a Sierra Match King is pointed. I realize that the SMK is intended for shooting paper, rather than critters, but I'd wager probably 100 times the number of bullets are shot at paper as what get fired in hunting.

MIBULLETS
03-27-2011, 10:28 AM
.030" soft copper tubing will indeed expand on deer sized game. I have done it myself, they about double in caliber for expansion, sometimes much more.

With straight walled jackets such as tubing jackets, you can only close the tip until the jacket walls contact eachother. In this case .030 +.030 = .060". This would be the smallest you could take the tip down unless you thined the mouth of the jacket first. If you close it too much for the velocity of you cartridge, it won't expand very well.

dragonrider
03-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Very nice works a usual. 243 maybe????

BT Sniper
03-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Yes the nose is a bit bigger then normal but that's what I was going for with this one. It is .125. I can go down to .093. Reason I started with .125 is for easier extraction of the bullet from the die. Anyone that has stuck a bullet in a point forming die knows what a aggravation that can be. Next 257 or .243 die I make will have the smaller nose. You can see the smaller nose on my 308 bullet projects.

Yes a 243 is in the works :)

BT

MIBULLETS
03-27-2011, 02:49 PM
I think they look great! I really like the base profile, like a small boatail. What are you using to close the end of the tubing? In Corbin's set up it takes a few strokes of the press to finish a jacket, but it sounds like you might be doing it in less. Any pictures of your process?

BT Sniper
03-27-2011, 03:05 PM
2 steps. 1. bring it together to a point. 2. flatten the base then it's ready to seat core.

Yes the mini boat tail is pretty cool. Funny thing is the pics above was as "flat" as I could get them, at the moment anyway, maybe if I redesign the punchs a bit but I don't think there is any need to. They look a bit like the Nolser BTs. I like it too. I'll have to section one see what it looks like from the inside.

If I squished it less in the base flattening step it could actually have more of a BT.

BTSniper

Storydude
03-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Please tell me a 308 version is in the works.....

BT Sniper
03-27-2011, 09:46 PM
I actually looked up 5/16th copper tubing tuday. Seems it is not difficult to obtain. Yes I can make a tubing jacket die for .312 then provide a sizing die to take it down to .303ish for use in the 308s. Then a core seat die would finish the job.

BT

Storydude
03-28-2011, 04:43 PM
I actually looked up 5/16th copper tubing tuday. Seems it is not difficult to obtain. Yes I can make a tubing jacket die for .312 then provide a sizing die to take it down to .303ish for use in the 308s. Then a core seat die would finish the job.

BT

You Rock. Tell me when and how much. And toss in a 308 swage die as well LOL

:drinks:

scrapcan
03-28-2011, 05:15 PM
BT,

I think you could go one step further and make a simple Lead tip former punch for the 1 step die, make it into a 2 or thress step 1 die. You would make the tip cavity in the end of the punch and use it as a seperate step to just kiss the lead tip to form it. You might be able to do the same thing with the copper jacket if it is annealed.

You will just have to try it out to see. Should be easy enough for you to try out. Your double lock nuts ont eh step would hel for repeat settign son die change over.

You could call it a JT top punch! No really, JT for Jacket Tip former punch not for my benefit.

Spanners
03-29-2011, 05:26 AM
need to sort a trim die for them, too hard to get consistant weights/lengths from cutting

Is making them for the bigger presses ie Corbin H - on the cards?

nanuk
03-29-2011, 07:05 AM
Just wondering, how does the base get closed up so nice like that? (solid base?)

or am I seeing smooth lead base?

Wayne Smith
03-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Oh, WOW! I definitely will be in the market, just have to buy a barrel and get a stock cut first! Then get it all put together.

BT Sniper
03-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Just wondering, how does the base get closed up so nice like that? (solid base?)

or am I seeing smooth lead base?

It is the copper tube closed in on it's self that you see. No lead is exposed. It was a long process for me getting this to work but seems to be doing pretty good so far. Same concept Corbin uses but slightly altered a bit to simplify the process in my opinion.

Basicly the end of the tube is brought together in a die to form a point. Then it is swaged in a die with a flat punch to flatten the point flat forming the base.

BT

Spanners
03-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Any plans to make a trim die for the jackets?

Apache
03-29-2011, 05:18 PM
When can these be ordered and how much? ;)

MIBULLETS
03-29-2011, 06:16 PM
If you make a length stop on a chop saw, you can get the tube length and weight pretty close. Within .5 grains. I'm guessing that BT is doing something like that now for this prototype.

Spanners
03-29-2011, 06:26 PM
If a trim die is added, then you basically have a $650-1050 Corbin Jacket making dies with NO year + wait and having to deal with a 5 page essay from David trying to justify his demented business plan. :D
'Apparently' they are still doing 2009 orders, with 600+ orders to go, so to get your stuff done now you have to pay double blah blah blah - HIRE ANOTHER EMPLOYEE!!!!

I for one would be buying a couple of sets if there is a trim - hell - I'll pay more to get the length/diameter etc I require as it will a 'custom job' :D

mroliver77
03-30-2011, 01:08 AM
I wonder how thick a jacket would be if you took the 1/4" tubing up to .308. I really want the .308 set! If you made the .308 set you would prolly have a year or two worth of orders! Did I mention I want a .308 set? I have a cORBIN FULL SET FOR .22 USING LOADING PRESS. nOW A .308 set and my jacketed needs are met.
Jay

BT Sniper
03-30-2011, 03:52 AM
I'm on it :) I plan to try 5/16th instead of the 1/4 tubbing for the 308.

BT Sniper
03-30-2011, 03:55 AM
If you make a length stop on a chop saw, you can get the tube length and weight pretty close. Within .5 grains. I'm guessing that BT is doing something like that now for this prototype.

Yep that worked wll for me and within .5 grain too somtimes even closer.

I'll see what I can come up with.

Nvrserious
03-30-2011, 05:58 PM
Just a quick question from a new guy.
I wanted to ask if anyone had ever tried using copper flashing (like for roofing)
To make jackets? If not that then maybe copper gutter material.

:killingpc

MIBULLETS
03-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Instead of expanding the 1/4" tubing up, you could reduce 3/8" to make .308 bullets.

I see you mentioned 5/16" which would be perfect for the .308 , but it isn't as easy to find in some places. 1/4" and 3/8" are more standard sizes.

buck1
03-30-2011, 09:57 PM
You never stop leaving me in amazement! :awesome: DAM FINE WORK !.....Buck

Southern Son
03-31-2011, 04:24 AM
You never stop leaving me in amazement! :awesome: DAM FINE WORK !.....Buck

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!
Every time I look in this section, I see something that is amazing. Utterly amazing. I will be VERY interested in seeing how these .25 bullets shoot, and how they perform when they hit something. [smilie=w:

no34570
03-31-2011, 03:52 PM
Hang on
I've got too wipe the drool off my chin :)

Bloody :awesome::awesome::awesome:

BwBrown
03-31-2011, 07:12 PM
BT,

Received the swaged 257 swaged bullets as pictured above - they look pretty nice. While there are not enough to really work up an optimized load, I will, probably this evening, load'em up in enough shells to get two 5 shot groups. I have a killer load using 120grain slugs in my .257 Roberts. These 110 grainers should sit atop those charges nicely enough to get an idea how they'll shoot. (As if I had any doubts.)

We're supposed to get another 8-12" of spring time white rain tonight and tomorrow, so the targets might be delayed for a few days. I will post a few pictures shortly.

Bob

BT Sniper
03-31-2011, 07:20 PM
Ya! I would have sent you more but I ran out of lead wire of the size necessary to make those cores with. You should have plenty of time to find good loads when you get these dies for yourself. For now I just wanted to send you a few to look at, even shoot, and check to make sure they function properly.

Good shooting.

BTSniper

BT Sniper
03-31-2011, 07:28 PM
Hang on
I've got too wipe the drool off my chin :)

Bloody :awesome::awesome::awesome:

The other night I made me a .375 die and it turned out very well. Made a nice 280 grain bullet from a .223 case. WIth that success I feel very confident I'll have your 9.3 avialble very soon.

I'll get some pics of the .375 with a new thread in the next day or two.

BT

no34570
03-31-2011, 09:03 PM
The other night I made me a .375 die and it turned out very well. Made a nice 280 grain bullet from a .223 case. WIth that success I feel very confident I'll have your 9.3 avialble very soon.

I'll get some pics of the .375 with a new thread in the next day or two.

BT
Please do mate,I can't wait to see it:D

Good on ya;-)

Felderthewelder
03-31-2011, 09:12 PM
Bt sniper. I sent you a pm about a question I had on our dies. Can you let me know the answer please?

BT Sniper
03-31-2011, 09:25 PM
I get behind on PMs very easily since I often get up to 10 or more a day. More then 500 in this year alone. I do my best to get back to everyone as soon as possible but sometimes it takes a couple days or more.

I'll be happy to answer your questions and anyone/everyone else's just as soon as I can.

Thanks

BTSniper

Fredx10sen
03-31-2011, 11:13 PM
Totally amazing work there BT Sniper. I really need to get into the swaging end of reloading. Thanks for all the information. I might have to dig out the Rockchucker or the old huge Herter press stored in the shed. I just might have to build another bench though. With two bullet sizers, a case trimmer, an RCBS Jr. and a Dillon 550B mounted on the one bench there's no room. I haven't even mounted the six different Mec's because of bench space so this might just get my butt motivated to "Getter Done". Again thanks for all the information.

Felderthewelder
03-31-2011, 11:33 PM
Okay. No worries then. I was just making sure you got it and were not away or something I guess. I am not in a hurry.

BwBrown
04-08-2011, 03:24 PM
BT and all,
Sorry for the delay, but I wanted to bring ya'll up to speed on these bullets. I have included a few pictures.

BT sent me the samples as pictured at the beginning of this thread. When I received them, I weighed them on my RCBS digital scale, and sorted them by weight.

In the first picture, they are sorted as follows:
1st row are 109.9 gr.
2nd row are 110.0 gr.
3rd row are 110.2 gr.
4th row are 110.3 gr.

Then I dug into my stash of prepared brass. They are: primer hole uniformed, outside neck turned, trimmed to length and sorted by weight to + or - 1 grain.

Then I hand weighed each charge using a proven load with a slightly heavier commercial JSP. The loads are a bit warm by reloading manual standards, but my rifle likes them hot.

Finally they were seated using my Bonanza bench rest seating die in the Co-Ax press.

Now we're waiting for a fair weather day to poke some holes in paper.

So far, I like! Can't wait to get my hands on the dies themselves so I can really wring them out.
Bob

BT Sniper
04-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Looks good there BW. I didn't realize just how long you can seat those bullets out in a 257 Roberts.

Looks like you might have one bullet left that is unloaded. Any idea how close or far you are off the lands? Obvioulsy the pressure goes up the closer we load the bullets. Just wanted to make sure the bullets are a good fit without engauging the riffling at normal OAL.

Finially got nice weather out west. Maybe it is heding your way.

Good shooting

BTSniper

BwBrown
04-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Yeah, BT they do look long, but they are seated to the base of the neck.

My Remington 700 .257 was barreled (back in the mid 70's) by a 1,000 yard guy here in PA - Howard Wolf - using a McGowen medium heavy (not quite a bull barrel) weight sporter barrel. The chamber is "long throated" so I could load heavier 120 grain SP bullets just to the bottom of the neck without touching the lands.

I could have seated them a tad longer, but the throat tension is more uniform when they are seated full length of the neck.

The twist is such that the faster I can get the lead out, the tighter the groups. The hotter, the better. The rifle doesn't care, but it can get hard on brass.

Its been a lot of fun, I just have to check primers for pressure every time out.
Bob

BT Sniper
04-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Sounds great! Is this your hunting rifle too?

BwBrown
04-08-2011, 09:44 PM
It's one of my goto rifles. With a 75 grain bullet it has hit chucks at 500+ measured yards. A lot of fun - you walk your shots up to them, they just sit there watching the dirt fly not knowing what is going on.

With a 120 grain bullet it will anchor a whitetail like someone pulled the earth out from under him.

But the Remington 700 weighs in just a bit over eight pounds - makes a long day in the woods seem a whole lot longer. I also have a 50's vintage Remington 760 pump in .257 Roberts that is a light woods carry - I don't load her near as hot though.

The 700 is the only real custom built gun I have. Back in it's early days the money she cost was quite a lot. Wouldn't buy a whole lot today though.

I've been thinking lately that I probably need a true 1,000 yard rifle. Not sure what it will turn out to be, but I surely do need one.

Southern Son
04-14-2011, 06:34 AM
I am really hanging out to find out how these shot or will shoot. Have you had any good weather up there yet?

BwBrown
04-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Well, the weather has broken, so to speak...

It was 79 degrees f today, in between thunderstorms the wind was gusting 15 to 20mph. The targets were flopping in the wind, even the fence rail to which I tacked the targets was moving in the wind. But it was an ok day to do some shooting.

The long and the short of it is this:
I had sorted out the handful of bullets into three and four shot groupings by weight.
Shot four groups at 200 yards.
They started at 4", each group was a tad heavier, and tighter, the fourth group was 3 1/2". Actually it was 1/8" high and 3" wide. That would be 1 1/2" at 100 yards, not entirely shabby, but could be worked up into a well shooting projectile.

Observations:
1) the rule of my rifle has always been: heavier + hotter = tighter

2) I think a slightly heavier core with soft lead might be pressed harder, being sure to eliminate the possibility of internal air pockets or voids. Might also give a bit of a lead tip.
(Looking "into" the hollow tips, you could see, I think, the cut end of the wire core, slightly off-center.) A heavy core seating step would be important.

3) Can't wait to get my hands on the dies, BT to do some experimentation and load workup, to start making some of these .257 slugs myself.
Please let me know how/when we can make this happen.

Thanks for the opportunity to give them a first test.
Bob

BT Sniper
04-26-2011, 08:56 PM
"1/8" high and 3" wide"

As in horizontial stringing with only 1/8" varration in higth in the group? That would be pretty impressive if the horizontial varation of the group could be blamed on the wind :)

Yes it would seem a heavier core would entirly be possible giving you a 120ish or slightly heavier bullet.

Did you happen to shoot any of your trusted factory bullets during the same shooting session as these customs where shot? Would have been interesting to compare the two against each other in same weather conditions using the factory bullets as a control in the experiment. Either way it sounds like they have potential.

I can have the dies to you pretty soon. Got a few final touches to put on them for you. I'll send you a PM and we can work out the details.

Thanks for the initial report. I wanted to make sure you would be happy with the potential of this set of dies and the bullets they make before I sold them to you.

BT

BwBrown
04-26-2011, 10:13 PM
No, I didn't take any of my regular loads. They are consistent,and are the result of hours of loading and shooting over a period of, literally, years. That said, I'm not the least bit disappointed with the copper jackets... Most any random commercial bullet, stuffed on top of a random load of powder would likely perform the same.

"1/8" high and 3" wide"

Both dimensions are somewhat skewed, the rifle is, under ideal conditions, a 3/4" gun. The 1/8 x 3 was at 200, so it was a 1 1/2" group at 100 yards. Not terrible. I'm convinced that with your dies and my Bonanza Co-ax, life will be pretty enjoyable - once I spend some time and burn up a few pounds of powder.

It sure wasn't a perfect day for shooting, but then, a bad day shooting is better than the best day at most work-a-day jobs!

I'll look for your PM.
Thanks again,
Bob

Southern Son
04-27-2011, 04:01 AM
That is good shooting. I think that 1.5MOA on your first outing with a new Projectile of any type is quite good and possibly even a good omen. Thanks for posting that information, Bob. This swaging section is always very interesting. I would really love to see a recovered projectile after it has hit some ballistic media. Once again, thanks.

BT Sniper
05-06-2011, 01:55 AM
Made some more bullets getting the die set ready for sale. It is really coming together nicly. The set up I have put together makes a perfect 120 grain bullet with wheel weight alloy core that matches the tip of the jacket perfectly to the top of the lead. Really make a good looking bullet.

I also experimented a bit and made some heavier bullets. Reuslts where perfect with a great looking lead tiped bullet. Made a couple at 130 grains and even one at 140 grains.

I'll post pcs soon.

All most got all the fine details of the dies worked out for you here BW. It will be a heck of a set of dies that's for sure.

I'll keep you all posted.

Swage On!

BT

BT Sniper
05-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Here are some pics of bullets from customer set of dies.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1050437.jpg
100 grain, 120, 125, 130 and a 140 grain bullet. The lead tip formed better using wheel weight alloy then it did using pure soft lead.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1050448.jpg
Here are some 120 grain .257 bullets. The set up was perfect for forming this combination with the lead meeting perfect at the tip of the jacket.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1050432.jpg
Here is a cross section of the 120 grain 257 bullet made from copper tubing. Notice how well the base closed up. Can't even tell it used to be a hollow tube.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1050452.jpg
how about a FMJ !!! Formed no problem in the die inserted base first. This one had an open base. I will make one that is closed on the base and FMJ as well. Pretty cool die with it's possiblities!

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1050445.jpg
and here is a cross section of the FMJ tip next to the base of the traditional formed sectioned bullet. I had to dig the lead out of the tip area and that is the slight scratches you see in the jacket.

All most done with this set of dies and it is looking real good. Made all these bullet on a Lee Classic and RCBS RC reloading press.

Good Shooting and Swage On!

BTSniper

BwBrown
05-07-2011, 02:32 AM
BT,
All I can say is - "Amazing!"
They are right purty!!!
Bob

PatMarlin
05-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Outstanding and congratulations BT... :drinks:

Dies look awesome. What is your background in machining?

Wayne Smith
05-07-2011, 12:02 PM
I want one!! Can I afford one?

Armorer
05-07-2011, 12:55 PM
WOW! If I could get something like that for my .308s I would be a swageaholic!

Armorer

BT Sniper
05-07-2011, 01:35 PM
.308 would be the same technique only using 5/16" copper tube instead. Think I'll order me up some and put one together. Of course you would have to reduce the .312 jacket to use in the 308 but it is completely possible.

I need to evaluate my cost and labor for this tubing jacket die but I think I may be able to offer it in the $300 range.

BT

BT Sniper
05-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Just ordered up 50' of the 5/16 tubbing. Could probably find scrap tubbing for a lot cheaper but I'll see what I can come up with for copper tube jacketed 308 bullets now.

BT

BT Sniper
05-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Outstanding and congratulations BT... :drinks:

Dies look awesome. What is your background in machining?

Thanks Pat,

Three years now attending the School of Hard Knocks. Learning this stuff all by tryle and error with a bit of help from a few knowledgeable individuals.

Always had an intrest in working on projects like this.

Good shooting,

BTSniper

no34570
05-07-2011, 06:59 PM
I want one!! Can I afford one?
Me too.....I'm in the same boat,can I afford one?

no34570
05-07-2011, 07:01 PM
WOW! If I could get something like that for my .308s I would be a swageaholic!

Armorer

I can relate to that,love one for my 30/06

Wayne Smith
05-07-2011, 08:22 PM
My other question is can I run one of these with my Hollywood Sr. press? Or is it limited to a heavy duty swaging press?

BT Sniper
05-07-2011, 09:08 PM
I am only using reloading presses so far for all my swaging needs. RCBS Rockchucker and Lee Classic Cast are my main two. So as long as you can fit a 7/8-14 regular threaded die and a shell holder style base punch or even better a threaded base punch of some sorts yes you will be able to use any of the dies I design.

The smaller the caliber bullet the less pressure/strength/force is needed to make bullets/jackets with. As for the copper tubing jacket and .257 bullets it could be done on even a 2nd rate reloading press IMOP.

BT

BT Sniper
05-07-2011, 09:12 PM
My goal is to make it all affordable. Less then corbins but not cheap. Figure for less then the cost of a new riffle or profits from one sold, you should be able to get a two die set. It is all the potential extras that can add up but as I always said it is a hobby and we can spend as little or as much as we want.

BTSniper

Wayne Smith
05-08-2011, 12:13 PM
I am only using reloading presses so far for all my swaging needs. RCBS Rockchucker and Lee Classic Cast are my main two. So as long as you can fit a 7/8-14 regular threaded die and a shell holder style base punch or even better a threaded base punch of some sorts yes you will be able to use any of the dies I design.

The smaller the caliber bullet the less pressure/strength/force is needed to make bullets/jackets with. As for the copper tubing jacket and .257 bullets it could be done on even a 2nd rate reloading press IMOP.

BT

Base punch: My Hollywood and my Bair use a threaded 1/2" tube through an unthreaded hole with a nut on the bottom and the shell holder on the top. Anything that can fit into that hole and be secured will work - almost ultimate flexibility. I'm gonna start saving my pennies!

BwBrown
05-18-2011, 10:09 PM
This afternoon my friendly mail-female delivered to my rural mail box a package from BT Sniper containing the maiden-sail set of .257 copper tubing jacketed bullet making dies.

I have to say something: I have several sets of BT's modified CH die sets, and they have performed flawlessly. But these new dies are different. Upon opening the box, it's like a light came on - they are beautiful! BT is making them from scratch - they are finely turned, nicely knurled, and highly polished inside and out.

I was of the feeling over the last year, that BT is a fairly new lathe owner, but these dies look like they are made by a seasoned pro. I own a couple sets of Corbin S dies, and placed side by side, BT's dies literally outshine the competition. And they came packed with a half dozen extra various punches, extensive written instructions (PMed to me), and a DVD containing an instructional video.

I am sad to report, however, that due to work schedule, it will be a week or more til I can devote some serious "play time". I just wanted to check in with y'all.

Brian, WELL DONE! (Now I NEED a set in .308 - even though I already have a set of Corbin .308 dies)

Folks, send him a PM; and when he tells you the price, know that you will get your money's worth.

BT Sniper
05-19-2011, 01:10 AM
I was very happy and proud with how they turned out. Being that they where one of my first sets there still may be room for improvment and certainly a bit of editing on the DVD :)

I expect to have a 40 cal reamer at my door any day now and certainly plan to put some 308 dies together. All it takes is time but I must say that the results have been well worth the effort it has taken me to learn this art and perfect the designs in these dies I will soon offer.

Glad you liked what you saw at first glance. Be sure and let me know if you need any assistance at all.

Thanks for your support, good shooting and Swage On!

BT

truckjohn
05-22-2011, 08:39 PM
ooohhhh... Did I happen to read about using 5/16" tubing to make 308 - but that it starts out at 0.312".....

Well sir - hows about makin me a 0.314" HP for use in me Mosin Nagant Rifles with oversize bores.... Seems like jacket stock starting out at 0.312" would be a perfect starting point..... Then, you wouldn't have to worry about sizing down tube and then swaging it back up....

See - I can buy 308 and 311 bullets all day long... but 0.313 and 0.314" are a smidge harder to find...

Thanks

Nyati
04-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Hi BT

Do you have die sets for sale for .375 (H&H) and .308 (Win)? I have the same idea to use tubing.

Kalahari Regards
Nyati

victor3ranger
04-09-2013, 10:04 AM
How is the base formed on the 308 boolits???

ameenkitekar
01-23-2021, 04:44 PM
@BT Sniper, will you make a set of die for .312 jacketed bullets of 32 acp caliber from 5/16 copper tube? How much it will cost to me? I am from India.
Regards
Dr. Kitekar

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk