PDA

View Full Version : 473aa

fatelk
03-27-2011, 12:32 AM
I ran across about 7 pounds of 473AA. It looks and smells good, so I'm thinking about using it in .40 S&W and a few others. I have the old Speer manuals that list it for several calibers.

I did some preliminary load testing today, working up a load with 180gr swc lead bullets. I see that this powder compares somewhat to Unique, which I have used previously for this load. I understand that you can never directly compare powders based solely on burn rate, so I started low to work it up.

My goal is a moderate load that shoots well in the Glock. Unique worked well, gave decent velocity and accuracy, and absolutely no leading. My preliminary loads of 473 put a trace of leading in the bore, and the "Glock bulge" on the brass seems more pronounced for the same velocity I was getting with Unique (about 900 fps).

I'll continue to tinker with loads when I get time, just thought I'd see if anyone here has experience with this powder. I'm also trying to find a good load for it in 9mm Mak and .45acp. I don't shoot competition or high volume so 7 pounds will last a very, very long time if I can find good loads.

bobthenailer
03-27-2011, 11:30 AM
ive used ww 473 in years past with good results . I now use WSF which has replaced it but i dont know if the charge weights/ burn rates are the same for the 2 powders .