PDA

View Full Version : A fixer upper powder measure

Swagerman
12-02-2006, 09:13 PM
During these months of cold weather up here in north central Wisconsin, next to Canada, I like to do fixer uppers.

Bought a few items from an auction site, and this always leads to cleaning, polishing, and painting where needed.

This is one of them, a Redding No. 3 powder measure that was without a powder hopper and had a wee bit of rust that cleaned up nicely. It all came from Florida, so you can see its part of some Hurricane fall out that made it fall on hard times.

I was going to sell it in the classifieds, but changed my mind when I realized what a fine piece of equipment it was. Now I plan on using it this winter.

Jim

[ The before ]

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P3160003Reddcropped650X2b.jpg

[ The after ]

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P3310028Compl.jpg

Uncle Grinch
12-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Jim,

It really looks good... you have obviously put some effort (and love) into restoring this measure.

Dale53
12-03-2006, 01:09 AM
These are terrific measures. I consider them a "Best Buy" due to their repeatable micrometer adjustments (still check with a scale, of course).

Dale53

Swagerman
12-03-2006, 01:30 AM
On the Redding, I'm thinking about shortening that long hopper tube, I'll never load rifle with it -- so, handgun is about all I need it for.

I've got this other Herter's powder measure that has an apperantly rusted screw on the meter shaft, this screw holds the shaft into the rotor powder chamber and it is stuck fast. Wanted to take it apart so I could do some lathe turning on said shaft...got a few nicks.

Soaked it in penetrating oil, and applied as much pressure as I dare, but still can't get it apart.

Would it help to apply a propane toarch to the stuck screw, would that help break the rust loose??? That screw has been stuck in there for over 40 years.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P3170009HertersNo.jpg

gzig5
12-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Jim,

Apply some heat. Either with the torch directly, a 40+ watt soldering iron, or by heating a screwdriver tip and then holding it in the slot. Use a properly fitting screwdriver blade, and if you don't have one that fits right, modify one. Support the measure and give the handle of the screwdriver a good rap or two with a hard plastic hammer after the heat has soaked in.
Greg

Swagerman
12-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Thanks, Greg. I was hoping the heat might help, will have to try your method soon...when I get to feeling better.

Jim :)

shooter575
12-05-2006, 12:15 AM
For rusty screws I have had good luck with product called "Rust buster" Comes in a 4oz zoom spout bottle.Clear bottle and product.Seems to be a alochol base judging by the smell.
Another way I have used it to heat up the screw and the surrounding area and then apply a wax crayon.You wantit hot enough to expand but not burn the wax.
A cheep hammer type impact driver will put a lot of force on a screw also.Must grind bits to a prefect fit though.
Last method that will destroy the screw is to use a left hand drill bit.
www.pts-tools.com has them pretty cheep.Many times they will just back out as you drill them.Worse case you have a hole to try a easy out