PDA

View Full Version : Couple o Smiths and some questions

tek4260
03-26-2011, 10:28 PM
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_2787.jpg

Went into a gun store I used to frequent years ago and he had these two hanging on the wall. Guess it was a slow day because I had no need/want for them, but I offered $300 cash OTD and he accepted. Neither one has seen much actual use, though they have seen some abuse and lack of oiling. The little 37 looks like new on the inside. I would bet it hasn't been fired 20 rounds, if that many considering the throats are still perfectly blued and there is no wear at all inside on the aluminum frame. The 5 screw K38 has a few things I have never really noticed on a Smith(not a Smith fan, though I have had a few sack fulls of them over the years). It has a trigger stop that is milled in behind the trigger in the frame. You can see it in this picture

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_2786.jpg

Also, the hammer spur is shaped funny. Kind of has an extra hump right at the top. I guess this is what is called the K38 Combat Masterpiece? The glaring problem is the barrel. The shop owner said the original barrel had a bulge, so he sent it to Smith and they replaced the barrel with a brand new barrel and the rib doesn't quite match the top strap contour. It hasn't been shot since it came back. It really is a shame about the barrel considering how this one also has no wear inside. Too bad the original owner didn't own an oil rag.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_2795.jpg

Now I have to decide what to do with it? Let it lay in the safe or carry it to the next gun show for trade fodder. No love here for a lil ol 38 in a K frame. Now that little 37 should make a nice throw down piece/truck gun.

So, are the hammer and trigger stop common on this model and I just never have paid attention? I think I would have noticed the hammer at least. The S/N of the K38 is 452XX if that helps date it. Six grooves on the front strap and back strap along with a grooved trigger.

7x57
03-27-2011, 12:12 AM
The shape of the hammer and trigger stop are standard for smiths of that vintage. Yours was made about 1948. It originally had a thinner, tapered barrel. It also has a set of later grips on it. I would keep both of them myself. K-38's are cheap to run and fun to shoot, especially practicing your DA shooting. The 37 would make a great carry/glovebox gun.

rststeve
03-27-2011, 12:25 AM
I would have bought ether one for 300 very nice looking. but then again I like smiths

Dale53
03-27-2011, 12:29 AM
tek4260;
The "K"-.38 will make a fine field revolver. I can remember the days when this handgun (or the similar heavy barrel fixed sighted model) was standard issue in the better Police Dept.s around the country.

Using the right cast bullet, the K-38 becomes a wonderful tool for harvesting edible small game (cotton tail rabbits, snow shoe rabbits, and grouse) in a MOST sporting manner. I have shot thousands of cast dbl ended w/c's with much joy in both competition and in the field.

As a house gun, you could hardly do better with proper loads. They are especially good for women and youngsters who might be intimidated with larger, louder, heavier recoiling handguns.

I gave an original S&W Model 15 to my youngest son for he and his wife for a house gun. They can be some of the most reasonable priced EXCELLENT revolvers available...

Dale53

NHlever
03-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Like another poster said, I would have gladly given $300 for either of them. I have been feeling the "need" for a 38 Special lately, and just may go shopping for one a bit later today. I shouldn't have looked at the pictures you posted! :D A Smith & Wesson K-38 6" was my first centerfire revolver, and I remember paying all of $60.00 for it in as new shape. I shot just about everything legal to hunt in NH at the time with mine, and even got my limit of Ruffled Grouse with it one memorable day. My Dad sure was upset when he found that I had sold that gun! (and I have been upset ever since, but the siren call of the .357 Magnum was too much for me).

Bret4207
03-27-2011, 09:35 AM
I'd keep them both and be very glad of it. Using a Smith (or any gun) as a "throw down gun" (a gun carried to "throw down" next to the body of the guy you just shot who it turns out you shouldn't have since he has no weapon) is simply wrong in a multitude of ways. Maybe our terms differ and hopefully that's not what you meant.

The trigger stop can give problems in double action shooting. Twice I've had it "roll over" in my M-19 while demonstrating fast DA shooting. (The old guy is half blind but I can still "feel" a cylinder full into a can or rock and roll it across the ground! Impresses the kiddies). It's not needed but it does limit trigger travel a bit. I can't get mine to malfunc dry firing, but the addition of the recoil will do it.

Just something to think of.

klcarroll
03-27-2011, 09:46 AM
...........Now that little 37 should make a nice throw down piece/truck gun...........

I sure hope the term "throw down piece" is being misused here! ......As I never thought I would hear such a use seriously advocated on THIS forum!

Kent

tek4260
03-27-2011, 10:21 AM
I sure hope the term "throw down piece" is being misused here! ......As I never thought I would hear such a use seriously advocated on THIS forum!

Kent

Come on guys! Just a bit of a joke. Besides, I rarely carry and I promise I'd be more likely to punch someone than shoot anyway!

Char-Gar
03-27-2011, 12:28 PM
The K-38 had a six inch heavy barrel. There was a K-38, K-22 and K-32. Their barrel tapers were modified to give each of the the same weight when loaded. Production began in 1947.The K-38 became the Model 14 in 1957

The "Combat Masterpiece" had a 4 "tapered barrel to make it easier and quicker to withdraw from the holster. Later it could also be hand with a 2", 6" or even 8-3/8" barrels. Production began in 1948. The Combat Masterpiece became the Model 15 also in 1957.

Your pistol was made in 1949 so could have started life as either a K-38 or Combat Masterpiece and the serial number range for the K frames was the same for all models.

There are several possibilities about the replacement barrel and the only thing I can say for certain by looking at the pics is that is is not a Combat Masterpiece (Model 15) barrel due to the taper. Also the K-38 series barrels did not have the red insert Baughman type front sight. They came with a black patridge front sight. If I had to guess, I would guess it was a heavy Model 10 barrel which has had a highter red ramp front sight installed. The front sight blade pin is quite evident and original barrels has the pin buffed down to the ramp for an almost invisible apperance.

I think you got a heck of deal with the price, but the larger K frame will have no collector's value. It would be a heck of a shooter though.

An honest and careful man, has no need of a "throw down". Those are for liars, murders and careless people.

tek4260
03-27-2011, 02:04 PM
The barrel is a replacement. The place I got it from is a Police Supply house, so it is not an issue for the owner to send something to Smith and have it repaired pronto. It has not been fired since it was returned. In all honesty, these two are probably some of the confiscated guns that local police departments are allowed to trade in towards equipment. I think he said that he gives $5 apiece for them. I used to dig through the boxes and get good deals. A few years ago when he was getting them in by the truck load these would have been $50 guns.

9.3X62AL
03-27-2011, 02:28 PM
You scored a fine deal, in any event.

The trigger stop was usually a feature on the 6"- and 8-3/8"-barrelled examples. I can't recall seeing a stop on any Model 15s, and I don't think I've handled a pre-1956 example--so that assertion is far from comprehensive. The stop is adjustable, and can be pushed back (or removed) to avoid the problem Bret mentioned. Its purpose is to enhance single-action trigger strokes by limiting travel after the sear released. It's a bullseye thing.

The barrel swap might affect collector value, but likely doesn't hurt usefulness one bit. Since it is already modified, I would find a Millett white outline rear sight for that critter--install it--and head for the range or varmint fields.

That little M-37 would make a great pocket rocket launcher. Avoid habitual use of +P loads, and it will last forever. While combat Tupperware and all-day magazine capacities are all the rage among the deputies at my old agency, they still dote on S&W 5-shot revos for back-up guns and Onion Field Insurance.

S.R.Custom
03-27-2011, 03:03 PM
...The stop is adjustable, and can be pushed back (or removed) to avoid the problem Bret mentioned. Its purpose is to enhance single-action trigger strokes by limiting travel after the sear released. It's a bullseye thing...

I think the problem associated with this trigger stop is over-stated, but anyone who feels compelled to take theirs off, please send the removed bits to me. (I'm serious. I'll even buy them from you.) Some of us actually like them, and I've passed on the purchase of many K frames over the years because they were missing.

If you like the idea of a trigger over-travel stop but are leery of the behind-the-trigger arrangement, an appropriately trimmed piece of drill-rod inserted inside the rebound spring is much more "reliable." S&W put these in their nicer N frames for a number of years, but I've not seen them lately.

S.R.Custom
03-27-2011, 03:25 PM
There are several possibilities about the replacement barrel and the only thing I can say for certain by looking at the pics is that is is not a Combat Masterpiece (Model 15) barrel due to the taper. Also the K-38 series barrels did not have the red insert Baughman type front sight. They came with a black patridge front sight. If I had to guess, I would guess it was a heavy Model 10 barrel which has had a highter red ramp front sight installed. The front sight blade pin is quite evident and original barrels has the pin buffed down to the ramp for an almost invisible apperance.

Also, that barrel appears to be a much later vintage than the gun. The "Smith & Wesson" roll stamping on the barrel would NEVER have been left raised like that on a 5-screw era gun. +1 on the heavy M10 barrel analysis. I'm guessing 80s vintage on the barrel.

koyote
03-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Lovely! If you were closer, I'd try and talk you out of the K frame. But I'd suggest keeping the Airweight for sure. Handy handy guns to have around.

tek4260
03-27-2011, 04:22 PM
That barrel is 2011 vintage Smith. Replaced earlier this year at the factory. That is why the stamping is different(and crappy looking I might add). It is marked "38 S&W Special Cartridge" on the other side.

S.R.Custom
03-27-2011, 05:38 PM
I don't question the repair was made in '11, but I doubt the barrel was made then, as the Model 10 was discontinued in '05.

I'm thinking that the barrel came from an old box-o-barrels at S&W, circa 1980s (or since). The point I was getting at was that they didn't use a period-correct barrel on your gun. The roll marking and sloppy pin work on the front sight is typical of 80s/Lear-Siegler era guns I've owned before.

7x57
03-28-2011, 11:08 PM
The barrel is interesting, the large rollmarks are definitely recent production. Both the model 10 and 15 are currently cataloged. It looks like a m10 heavy barrel, but it has a ramp. A m10 barrel doesn't have a ramp, just a low blade because of the low fixed sights. It looks more like the current m15 barrel, but according to the picture on the S&W website, the current m15 has a barrel like a model 19, heavy with encased ejector! Who knows????????

S.R.Custom
03-29-2011, 01:43 AM
... Both the model 10 and 15 are currently cataloged. It looks like a m10 heavy barrel, but it has a ramp. A m10 barrel doesn't have a ramp, just a low blade because of the low fixed sights. It looks more like the current m15 barrel, but according to the picture on the S&W website, the current m15 has a barrel like a model 19, heavy with encased ejector! Who knows????????

Sure enough, there they are. Check out the prices, tho.

http://tinyurl.com/4qjyafh

http://tinyurl.com/4engd8e

MtGun44
03-30-2011, 12:07 AM
Look at the frame flat under the bbl where the crane sits. It will say M15 if it was
a Combat Masterpiece originally.

That said, I have a Combat Masterpiece (which I thought guaranteed a 4" bbl and ramped
front sight) with a 6" bbl and a patridge target front sight. It looks visually exactly like a
M14, but is frame marked as a M15.

Curious stuff happens late at night a the S&W factory, it would seem.

Probably a good shooter, kinda a shame about the rust on the snubbie.

Bill

tek4260
03-30-2011, 07:25 AM
Actually, that rust means I'll carry it rather than leave it sitting in the safe :)

If I sell it, I'll refer to the pitting as "tactikool texture". Helps keep it from sliding around while its tucked in your waist band :)

LAH
03-30-2011, 08:46 AM
Send the K Frame to me, I'll pay you in bullets.