PDA

View Full Version : 45/70

Taylor
03-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Can I use this in my 45/70?http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb396/WillTaylor57/IM000364.jpg

montana_charlie
03-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Yes...

Don McDowell
03-26-2011, 09:48 PM
65grs under a 500 gr bullet works quite well to 1000 yds..

NickSS
03-26-2011, 10:54 PM
I have used several cases of that stuff before they changed the name to GOEX. It works well and used to be the standard for BPCR before all the imported powder hit the market. 62 to67 gr of it with a 500 or 400 gr bullet workes very well.

nanuk
03-26-2011, 11:25 PM
65grs under a 500 gr bullet works quite well to 1000 yds..

I am always amazed when I see comments like that!

1000 yds is a long way, and only 65gr of powder lobbing over an ounce of lead with accuracy is astounding! (wind is much more a concern above the treetops)

the Midrange Trajectory must be measured in yards!

I sure wish there were 1000yd clubs around here.

It really humbles me when I think about the skilll one must have in his rifle and all aspects of loading!

simply amazing!

Don McDowell
03-26-2011, 11:28 PM
Takes about 3.5 seconds for the bullet to get there, and trying to shoot that far in a 20 mile crosswind will keep life interesting.

waksupi
03-27-2011, 01:42 AM
Glad you said that Don. I had a member earlier this week ask me advise on shooting deer at 600 yards with a .45-70. My advise, don't try it!

Just as a side note, I experimented quite a bit with lighter, subsonic loads, and brought up my averages at 600 to 750 yards in the usual transitional range.

Taylor
03-27-2011, 07:25 AM
Thanks guy's,this was given to me,full can.It is labeled for muskets,which is why I asked.Never used real black before.Been staring at it for about 2 years now.

Don McDowell
03-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Taylor it's good stuff, I've still got a few cans of it hanging around that I save for special occasions..

Rick I don't think that it matters what cartridge etc a person is shooting taking a shot at a previously unharmed animal beyond 300 yds is folly..

bigted
03-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Can I use this in my 45/70?http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb396/WillTaylor57/IM000364.jpg

tread softly when aproaching this intoxicating powder. breath shallow so the fumes dont overpower your senses. after yanking back on the trigger...very slowly put down your weapon as the blood preassure will give you the shakes and you may just drop your gun other wise. now set down and let the experience wash over you with a tidal wave of emotion in the knowledge that this very combanation of chemicles and lead mixed with brass and a rifle that is holding its own for the last 100+years has been feeding folks and defending them and providing entertainment to whomever might enter this dark domain.

yep youll be hooked rite off...even if your experience was as dismal as mine was. just remeber to use bp lube on those boolits and lots is better then not enough. slather it on the boolit...the end of the case...inside your left nostrol ...some on the inside of your rite elbo.......:roll::coffeecom...ok nough foolishment...really tho the trick i found is a really good bp lube for the boolits and keep the powder compressed with no air left in the cases as would be with the smokless stuff. have a ball and welcome to the nicest group of fellers you have run into for awhile.

Doc Highwall
03-27-2011, 02:04 PM
The 3-1/2 second flight to 1000 yards makes the mid-range about 103 feet. The wind flags at 500 yards on a 25 foot pole don't do much for reading the wind.

John Boy
03-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Taylor, would you please post the lot number that is on the top of that DuPont can?
Thanks
In 1972, DuPont sold the Berlin (Moosic) Plant to Gearhart-Owen (GOEX) and packaged the powder for several years in DuPont cans. If the lot starts with GOE, it is Goex powder after the sale.

cajun shooter
03-27-2011, 02:43 PM
That can is probably from when Goex was still in PA. at the Moosic Belin plant. Keep the can after using the powder as it is no longer made. Goex moved to Louisiana several years ago due to a labor dispute in Pa.As my good friend John Boy pointed out that the plant was once owned by DuPont.

montana_charlie
03-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Taylor, would you please post the lot number that is on the top of that DuPont can?
JB,
I don't understand why you call it a DuPont can.
I have a pound of FFFg which looks just like Taylor's, and it says Gerhart Owen all over it. No mention of DuPont, anywhere.
Also no 'GOEX' on the can, anywhere.

By the way, the numbers on (the bottom of) mine are:
03 46776SE 22B

In that string, the two 'sevens' are guesses based on what appears to be the two 'downstrokes' for the numeral 7. Also, the 'B' is a guess, but the only other possibility would be an '8'.

CM

Taylor
03-27-2011, 06:11 PM
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb396/WillTaylor57/IM000368.jpg
explosives division,Belin Plant Moosic,Pa.Manufactured by Goex.Suitable for muskets,pistols & shotguns,(which is why I ask the first question.)The numbers are missing,it's not flash glare from the camera.No mention of Gerhart Owen,but it is labeled as FFg superfine rifle powder.

Don McDowell
03-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Don't sweat the lot numbers and other stuff, just load and shoot , it's just like the can says, superfine rifle powder.

doubs43
03-28-2011, 12:35 PM
JB, I don't understand why you call it a DuPont can. CM

I'm guessing because the can is identical to the can that DuPont used when they sold black powder. My first thought when I saw the picture was that it is a DuPont can.... until I looked closer. The writing may have changed but the can is the same.

When I first shot BP in the mid-1950's, DuPont was the only powder available to me. I had a Springfield musket that I used as a shotgun. A 45 ACP case was filled with BP and dumped down the barrel followed by a wad of newspaper. Then a BB tube cap full of BB's went in with another wad of newspaper on top. A Top Hat musket cap on the nipple and I was ready to go. It was very effective for birds, rabbits etc.