PDA

View Full Version : Tinsel Fairy Sighted!

boatswainsmate
03-26-2011, 08:21 PM
I had my first visit today while placing sawdust into the mix.:sad:

waksupi
03-26-2011, 08:52 PM
It wasn't the saw dust, it was the moisture you somehow put into the mix!

Charlie Two Tracks
03-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Are you ok? Once I have put sawdust on top of the mix, I light it and let it burn to ash. I then stir it in.

dragonrider
03-26-2011, 10:44 PM
It was the sawdust, it was too wet. Sawdust is never as dry as you think it is. It absorbs moisture from the air, on humid days it will be wetter than dry days but it will always be wet. Always let it burn to ash before mixing into the lead. It's the ash, the carbon, you want anyway, it doesn't flux worth a dam before it is ash.

plainsman456
03-26-2011, 10:57 PM
The burn on my left wrist is finally healed up from my little splash.
It wasn't on very long,I just pealed it off and ran cold water over it.The next few days it really looked like raw meat and hurt like hell.
The drop sneaked between my shirt and my glove,like bugs it knows where the open spots are.

Ilwil
03-27-2011, 02:15 AM
Long ago, I melted fluxed, and poured about 10,000 olbs of linotype a day in a newspaper composing room. I was told emphatically (and subsequently learned for my self) that the primary thing to do with a lead burn is to let it stay on your skin, however painful, until it hardens. Otherwise, wiping it off just smears melted lead on more skin, causing a larger injury.

MikeACP
03-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Always let it burn to ash before mixing into the lead. It's the ash
This is ontop of the lead right? Just trying to get a clear picture.

D Crockett
03-28-2011, 01:28 PM
here is what I do when I get lead burns I have around my house a lot of aloe plants it is mother natures answer for burns of any kind from hot water to lead burns I have put it on lead burns and not eaven got a blister out of the burn D Crockett

Doby45
03-28-2011, 02:21 PM
here is what I do when I get lead burns

I run around my house screaming like a little girl and waving my arms. :shock:

Charlie Two Tracks
03-28-2011, 05:07 PM
MikeACP, you are correct. I put at least a half inch of sawdust on top of the melted lead. Do not stir it in. I light the saw dust and let it burn to ash and then stir it into the lead. Saw dust works great but must be burned or VERY slowly mixed into the lead. There are too many opportunities to get burned casting so I'd just stick with burning the sawdust first. IMO

Duckiller
03-28-2011, 06:45 PM
The tinsel fairy also comes with wet/ cold ingot molds. HEAT before first use of day.

dragonrider
03-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Mike
"Quote:
Always let it burn to ash before mixing into the lead. It's the ash

This is ontop of the lead right? Just trying to get a clear picture. "

Thats exactly right. I should have been more clear.

Dennis Eugene
03-28-2011, 11:47 PM
From Doby45
I run around my house screaming like a little girl and waving my arms.
lol When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

ItZaLLgooD
04-04-2011, 09:50 PM
lol When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

Awesome! I'm not sure why but I LMAO picturing a manly man with gloves and a face shield running in circles and screaming like a girl.

a.squibload
04-05-2011, 04:25 AM
...I light the saw dust and let it burn to ash and then stir it into the lead.

You mean black like charcoal, or grey like ash?
I'm still hoping the ash from my pellet stove would be a good fluxing agent,
but maybe that's burned too far?
I used some wood pellets as flux last week but sounds like I didn't put enough in the pot.

Charlie Two Tracks
04-05-2011, 07:18 AM
Black like charcoal. I don't know about the pellets. I would be sure to crush them and then let them burn on top of the mix until they are black. Then stir the carbon ash in. I would think that the ash from the stove wouldn't work but that is just a guess. More knowledgeable people will be able to answer that.

Sieveboy
04-05-2011, 07:26 PM
I had a visit from the fairy yesterday, I added a twenty pound pig melted down from pipe long ago that must've had a void in it. After a few minutes, it popped and sprayed lead everywhere. Luckily I run like hell after adding an item like this and was at a safe distance, this really validated that approach.
Before
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/Sieveboy/20110402135708.jpg
After the tinsel fairy visit
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/Sieveboy/20110403140544.jpg
All done, safe and sound
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/Sieveboy/20110403161620.jpg

Bulltipper
04-05-2011, 08:44 PM
1700 to 1 is the approx water to steam ratio... makes a hellofapop!

Simonpie
04-05-2011, 09:43 PM
The drop sneaked between my shirt and my glove,like bugs it knows where the open spots are.

Years ago a roofer I know was doing hot tar. He pegged his pants and tucked them inside of his boots to try to be somewhat clean. A co-worker tipped a bucket of hot tar onto his leg where it ran down the fold in his pants and filled his boot.

He lets his cuffs get dirty now.

metalbender
04-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Finally a positive response to my query of the aftermath of a visit. Good thing you were out of range. Thanks for the post, a reminder for me as a new caster to preheat

geargnasher
04-05-2011, 11:55 PM
1700 to 1 is the approx water to steam ratio... makes a hellofapop!

Yep. I remember 1600 to one, at one atmosphere. In a steam locomotive, the condensed steam from the end of each piston stroke is returned to the boiler at the same pressure as the working pressure of the system, only it has expended it's heat energy and condensed to normal liquid volume. Steam explosions are one of the most powerful energy phenomena there are without a chemical reaction.

Gear

a.squibload
04-07-2011, 01:55 AM
Sieveboy:
You have another problem, so insidious you might not have noticed.
That crack in your garage floor is caused by too many ingots.
I can help you out, send some over here and I'll "store" 'em for ya...:)

kbstenberg
04-07-2011, 07:06 AM
Sieveboy That tinsel fairy must of been a big explosion to through all those 1lb ingots all over the floor.