PDA

View Full Version : cooking a prime rib in the microwave

grisy11
03-26-2011, 04:08 PM
any one have any good ideas.I have cooked alot of meet in the microwave but no prime rib.is thare a good and a bad way?
Thanks
Ed

imashooter2
03-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Might as well just boil it. :(

scottiemom
03-26-2011, 05:47 PM
yep, prime rib in the microwave is probably not the best idea. it cooks from the inside out so it would be hard to get anything rare plus there is no caramelization so a lot of flavor would be lost. if you absolutely have to do it, you can now buy browning inserts for the microwave that would at least put some color on the meat.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Come on Gris...

Sear it on all sides in a smokin' hot cast Iron pan,
then roast in a 325º oven for 30 to 40 minutes per pound.
Add freshly coarse ground black Pepper and large/coarse sea salt in the last 20 minutes
Let it rest for 10 minutes after you take it out of the oven.
Jon

scb
03-26-2011, 06:26 PM
any one have any good ideas.I have cooked alot of meet in the microwave but no prime rib.is thare a good and a bad way?
Thanks
Ed

That's just wrong.:cry:

Skrenos
03-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Foods cooking from the inside outwards in a microwave is a myth. It has to penetrate the skin just like any other form of simple radiation. Ever stick a frozen burrito in the microwave and undercook it enough that it's hot on the outside and icy on the inside?

But, to the topic at hand... I cannot recommend anyone 'cook' meat in the microwave unless you have a HUGE oven ala radar range from the 50s. It doesn't really cook more in that it just heats food a lot. Anything you do to meat in the microwave can be done better on the stove. You miss that caramelization (Maillard reaction) and the complex flavors you get from conventional cooking.

Unless your goal is to stuff your face with meat and not taste it, skip the microwave.

grisy11
03-26-2011, 11:03 PM
LOL
i know no one would go along with it but i had to try i was Bord.
so i put in a half bottle of Italian dressing on it and cooked it.
that was the best stake that i have cooked

waksupi
03-27-2011, 02:03 AM
Bachelor, eh?

rbertalotto
03-27-2011, 08:16 AM
In some states this activity will get you 5-10 with time off for good behavior!

fatnhappy
03-27-2011, 08:32 AM
I'm still in disbelief that:

someone would do this.

anyone would announce to the world they had done this.

imashooter2
03-27-2011, 10:27 AM
LOL
i know no one would go along with it but i had to try i was Bord.
so i put in a half bottle of Italian dressing on it and cooked it.
that was the best stake that i have cooked

Then you are a very, very bad cook.:cry:

Finster101
03-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Bachelor, eh?

That is no excuse.

Dale in Louisiana
03-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Goodness! don't blame that on bachelorhood!

I'm a bachelor myself, and the very WORST I do to a steak is to carefully heat a cast iron skillet on the stove until a water drop skitters across the surface, then dab a little bacon fat on it for lube, and drop a room-temperature steak prepped with kosher salt and fresh-ground coarse black pepper.

Dale in Louisiana

grisy11
03-27-2011, 10:32 PM
LOL
Ok yes i am a Bachelor i did have a wife at one time but i dint eat her food she was trying to KILL me lol.
i can not believe that this site being so big and so many good and smart People up here have not tryed this???Mabe i did have to much to drink LOL
GRISY11

DCM
03-27-2011, 11:22 PM
OK here is how you cook prime rib in the micro.
1 get a cheap styrofoam cooler
2 get some dry ice
3 wrap the prime up extremely well
4 place in cooler with dry ice
5 tape cooler securely shut (lots of tape)
6 send it to me with a return address
7 I will send you a piece of leather equivalent to what you would have if you put the prime rib in the microwave and no good meat will be hurt. :kidding:
PETA-people eating tasty animals

jh45gun
03-28-2011, 01:09 AM
Be a waste of prime rib as a microwave toughens meat when you cook it. Micro is best for warming left overs and that is about it.

EchoSixMike
03-28-2011, 03:56 AM
You can cook ground beef with a microwave for sloppy joes or loose meat sandwiches, but that's really about it.

Prime rib cooked in a microwave requires a good wine to go along with it and make it palatable. Last Tuesday's vintage of Thunderbird is an excellent choice.[smilie=p:

S/F.....Ken M

MT Gianni
03-28-2011, 10:29 AM
A good prime rib should not fit in the microwave.

BABore
03-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Go buy a seasoned, precooked prime rib. Slice it to desired thickness, and warm it in the microwave. That works just fine. You'll destroy a fresh PR in the microwave.

The Dove
03-28-2011, 02:47 PM
They don't make enough "Old #7" for me to try to cook a prime rib in the nooooooker!!!!

The Dove

nanuk
03-29-2011, 12:44 AM
I collect old cookbooks

one day I found a couple on Microwave cooking, you remember, when they were first out and all the rage...

well, in one, there is a whole section on cooking roasts. and a section on cooking whole fowl.

and get this, in the picture, it looks like it came out of an oven, seared nicely at about 400*F

Perhaps when I win a lottery and can afford to waste a $60 Prime Rib Roast, I "May" try this