PDA

View Full Version : The Ideal # 5 Gunpowder Measure

Uncle45Auto
03-26-2011, 02:17 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/45Auto/Munitions/DSC00019.jpg

Does anyone use the old Ideal #5 gunpowder dispenser?

Is this the tool that started the use of the "door knocker"?

I have one that I cleaned up. Unfortunately it's missing the cover for the powder chamber and would like to know what it looks like.

What do you think of the #5 as a tool for regular use?

Pressman
03-26-2011, 05:33 PM
The cover is a flat, casting with two "ears" for the set screws to contact. Lyman said the first one sold was at the National Matches in 1903. The last one went out the door around 1946/47 when it was repalced with the 55. The powder cylinder is interchangable with the 55. So this design has been around for a lot of years. Longer yet if you trace its development through the #1,#2,#3.
There was a micrometer version produced from about 1936 till the end though it was deemed dangerous because of the way the click adjustment worked. Too easy to get confused and throw a heavy charge. CV Schmitt made a micrometer adjuster as an accessory, I would really, really like to find one.
Ken

Uncle45Auto
03-27-2011, 01:04 AM
The # 5 appears to be a good solid tool, I can't see any reason why they would not still be in use. I also have a 55, but never noticed that the cylinders are interchangeable. Thanks for your observations.

oldscool
03-27-2011, 06:34 PM
Uncle45auto,

here is a picture of the top
http://www.hunt101.com/data/556/5top.jpg
and one of the ears on the inside
http://www.hunt101.com/data/556/5ear.jpg
I still use mine, and throw within a tenth grain with ball powders for pistol cases.
That is as good as any measure will throw by volume. I raise the knocker
45degrees and knock once when the handle is up, and same when down.
Great measure, just a bit of a pain to set for different loads. For 8.8gr. of accurate no.5, I have both smaller slides open about 1/8".
I have other measures, so I pretty much leave it for that one load.

Fashion a top for yours and put it back to use. You will like it.
These are also good for BP.

Green Frog
03-27-2011, 09:11 PM
You really should get rid of that antiquated, dangerous #5. Send it to me and I will incarcerate it and put it to work with the other 5 or 6 #5s, #5 micrometers and the odd #6 that I use all the time now.

In point of fact, if you look at a good dictionary under work horse, or dependable, or perhaps even bullet proof, you should see this measure illustrated. If it seems like I really like mine, you could be right! :D

Froggie

Uncle45Auto
03-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the pictures OldSchool. I'll most likely make a cap, but I could get lucky and find an original at a gunshow.

Green Frog, I must agree - it's a cool looking old tool and well made. I have two of them, both without top caps, the one w/o a knocker went to eBay. But this one is here to stay.

scrapcan
03-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Uncle45Auto,

You need ot stay tuned to the Antique Reloading Tool Collectors Association, if you are not a member you might consider becoming one. There will be a series of articles coming out soon related to the ideal powder measure history.