PDA

View Full Version : best progressive for cast boolits?

troy_mclure
03-26-2011, 02:03 PM
whats the best progressive press for loading cast boolits?

im planning on loading .30-06, .223, .44mag, .10mm on it.

870TC
03-26-2011, 02:13 PM
I like the Dillon 550 for pistol stuff, works great. Never tried rifle ammo on a progressive.

pls1911
03-26-2011, 02:15 PM
DILLON 550B, not just because I use one... I have RCBS, Herters', Holidays, and couple of lee o's ...
Have a single stage for specialty and trial loads ( I have couple a rock crusher's for that...)
The Dillon will pay for itself in short order if you shoot much. It's versatile, strong, doesn't have much automatic cr*p to go wrong or fiddle with like the 650 or other progressives, and anyone can still load 300+ rounds an hour with one...MUCH more in pistol calibers.
And the Dillon "no BS gaurantee", customer bill of rights, customer service is second to none... you simply have to try it to believe it.

pls1911
03-26-2011, 02:22 PM
I failed to mention what I load in my Dillon...
.223, .270, 7mm TCU, 30/30 (many, many hundreds), .308, 30-06, .416 Rem, 45/70 Gov't, and thousands of pistol rounds for myself by other family members in .38, .357 mag, .44 Spl., .45ACP, and .45 Colt.
And no problems other than a primer feed base hiccup... And Dillon sent me a whole new assembly as well as pickup tube set!! WOW!!

Kraschenbirn
03-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Dillon RL-550B. Perhaps not as fast as some of the other progressives but, initially, less expensive and less prone to malfunction than the more complex units. Also, the interchangeable toolheads make switching of calibers quick and simple. I bought my RL-550 shortly after the model was introduced in the mid-1980s and later upgraded it for automatic powder and primer feed. At a guess, I'd say I've probably loaded close to a quarter-million rounds of assorted handgun ammo on that press without a single major failure. An even today...after over 25 years of use...if something does break, under Dillon's warranty all it takes is a phone call to Customer Service to get repair/replacement parts headed my way.

Bill

zomby woof
03-26-2011, 04:43 PM
I'm using a Loadmaster for those calibers.

Gunsmoke4570
03-26-2011, 05:00 PM
I use the RCBS Pro2000 for all of my pistol stuff. Pull 2 pins to change die plates and one bolt to change the shell plate. I can change calibers in just a minute or two. I've only loaded .223 Rem as far as rifle rounds go. It is very durable. I've only had 1 part break and it was my fault. I called RCBS to order a replacement and they told me not to worry about it they would send me a replacement for free. This was even after I told them it was my fault. Now THAT is customer service!

Doc Highwall
03-26-2011, 05:51 PM
I have two Dillon 550B's one set up for small primers and one set up for large primers. I also use a Rock Chucker for load development.

Doby45
03-26-2011, 06:03 PM
If the bullet is cast or jacketed, it makes no difference at all to the press. Sounds like the question is more "Which is the best progressive press."

Colorado4wheel
03-26-2011, 09:06 PM
I prefer the Dillon Powder Funnel for loading cast. Lyman expander is nice. But I prefer the Dillon steup from a powder measure combined with expander perspective.

asw1911pc@aol.com
03-26-2011, 10:04 PM
In my opinion I like the Dillon 550B. I have 2 of them and 2 single stage Lee classic for prep work when I do 223 rounds.

Hardcast416taylor
03-26-2011, 10:43 PM
If you process your brass as full length sizeing it will be a slow process as you must lube either on a block or lube pad before loading in the shellholder. If you size off the progressive then run them thru the remaining stages it will work fairly well. I have a Hornady Pro-Jector that I load bottle necked cases on, so I do speak from experience. Carbide sizer depriming dies are common for straight walled pistol cases. Bottle necked rifle cases have a body taper that makes a carbide sizer senseless. If neck sizeing only then a progressive will work acceptably.Robert

bbqncigars
03-26-2011, 11:21 PM
I've loaded a few thousand of each cartridge (.30 Mauser & 25-20WCF) perfectly on my AP, when these two rounds met destruction on the 550B. The Dillon was a good press for the other mass reloading needs.

DCM
03-26-2011, 11:47 PM
IME Dillon presses, I really like the 650. :-D

IME Dillon pistol dies also. They are easy to clean without losing your settings! Not sure about their rifle dies as I have not used them though.

derek45
03-27-2011, 12:52 AM
dillon xl650

Roundnoser
03-27-2011, 05:08 PM
dillon xl650

Derek, You tryin to tell us something here? Can't quite figure out what yer gettin at.:kidding:

Roundnoser
03-27-2011, 05:10 PM
I've got a Super 1050 that loads my 9mm lead RN bullets just fine, but the 1050 is overkill...although I like overkill.

derek45
03-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Derek, You tryin to tell us something here? Can't quite figure out what yer gettin at.:kidding:

Me likes the Blue Kool aide

:drinks:

http://flhrider.com/Webfiles/pics/Blue%20Kool%20Aid%20.jpg

Larry Gibson
03-28-2011, 01:04 AM
Another vote for the Dillon 550B. The 650 and other presses that auto index are fine for the handgun cartridges but they are to "busy" for the rifle cartridges if you do any experimenting with loads or change loads.

Larry Gibson

derek45
03-28-2011, 01:34 AM
Another vote for the Dillon 550B. The 650 and other presses that auto index are fine for the handgun cartridges but they are to "busy" for the rifle cartridges if you do any experimenting with loads or change loads.

Larry Gibson

I work 'em up on the 550B

when I find my "pet load", I crank 'em out on the 650

The 650 with the 1200B trimmer is an AMAZING machine for prepping rifle brass

I Love them both

CWME
03-29-2011, 09:52 PM
For cast Rifle testing I use my RCBS Pro 2000 with the auto index upgrade to size, prime, and bell the mouth. Finish up on my rockchucker. I hate the extra step of belling on the single stage...
I also use the Pro 2000 for small volume loadings of pistol and some rifle.

For small volumes of pistol rounds I don't shoot a lot I have two Dillon SDBs.

For large volume pistol and rifle, cast or not, I love the XL650 with case feeder.

Tip: For the poster lubing on a pad for rifle cases... Spray the cases with hornady one shot case lube. I spray the cases down and tumble them around and spray them again before they go in the case feeder.

Defcon-One
03-30-2011, 11:05 PM
I've got a Super 1050 that loads my 9mm lead RN bullets just fine, but the 1050 is overkill...although I like overkill.

Roundnoser: We can tell by your avitar, Dirty Harry and his .44 magnum, that you like overkill!

troy_mclure (OP): The Dillon RL-550B will always make my day and some darn good ammo, fast!

sargenv
03-30-2011, 11:26 PM
I work up loads on the Rock Chucker.. but processing on the 650 is a dream.. it really cranks em out... and for those who fret about case lube.. lanolin in an alcohol carrier... aka Dillon spray lube works just fine.. Also for pistol, even though I use carbide dies, it helps to use a dry lube like Hornady one shot on pistol calibers.. it stresses the press less and also stresses your elbow less.. Tis true you don't need it, but once you use it you'll wonder why you were working so hard before.. I just leave it on once loaded since it dries to the touch.. you can tumble it off in your case tumbler if you like, but you don't really need to.

curiousgeorge
03-31-2011, 09:46 AM
Dillon 550b. I have to admit that for rifle rounds I process the cases on a Rock Chucker first to size and then trim afterwords. I know, extra steps involved, but rifle rounds that are just primed, powder dumped, bullets seated (and crimped if necessary), run extremely slick.

Love Life
03-31-2011, 10:05 AM
Another vote for the Dillon 550B.

Cowboy T
04-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Yep, this is yet another "which is the best/holiest press" thread, ain't it?

Doby45 is right. The press isn't going to care one bit whether your bullets are jacketed or cast.

Me, I happen to use a Lee Classic Turret Press for my (still pretty few) rifle rounds and my (much more used) hot Ruger-only .45 LC load. For handgun volume production, I use a Pro 1000. This combination serves me very well, but I wouldn't have a problem using any of the other major manufacturers' presses, either.

No press "holy wars" for me, thanks; they all do a fine job. I remember Kool-Aid tasting good no matter which color it was. :D

LowPE
04-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Don't go with the 550. You need 5 stations, or at least I do, for cast rifle reloading in one easy setup.

RCBS xdie, lyman m die, powder die, bullet seat, lee fcd

or

Collet die, lyman m die, powder die, bullet seat, lee fcd.

The 550 isn't a true progressive as you have to manually index the shell plate.

Don't get me wrong, the 550 is great (I have one) but wouldn't be my first choice for what you want to load -- not sure on the quantity you are loading as that would be a factor too.

CWME
04-03-2011, 08:35 AM
Yep, this is yet another "which is the best/holiest press" thread, ain't it?

I wouldn't have a problem using any of the other major manufacturers' presses, either.

No press "holy wars" for me, thanks; they all do a fine job. I remember Kool-Aid tasting good no matter which color it was. :D

Same here, I like em all! Just like getting a new gun, something else I get to play with!!

Doc_Stihl
04-03-2011, 08:47 AM
RCBS Pro2000 is an often overlooked option. I've loaded on all the dillons, the lee pro and I prefer the Pro2000. STRIP primers are the hard to beat.

cajun shooter
04-03-2011, 09:38 AM
This is another of those Ford or Chevy questions that can go on forever and still leave you with a blank look on your face at the end. The 550B is my choice for any person who has never used a progressive and it does act as one if properly operated. The 550 does not advance to the next stage unless the operator uses his thumb on a bar that is affixed to the shell holder. This is of great value for a lot of reasons. You may do any special side problems that arise without the press going too far. Things like die adjustment, case checking, inserting a wad over the powder and other such things. The 550 B is easy to run. I also use a Lee Turret press(cast iron progressive) to set up different calibers as they can be made into single stage models with one move. The 550 also loads Federal primers easier than the other Dillon Models. No blown tubes in ceiling. Finally the Dillon warranty which applies to them all. I have called and told them that I broke the part and they still send out a free replacement. A true solid warranty oh and the Blue Press is nice to receive also.

Jack Stanley
04-03-2011, 10:06 AM
The "red Kool-aid" I have experience with is attached to single station presses so I suppose that don't help ya much . Unless of course you want to include a friends LEE experiment that was progressive ... it's record was four hundred rounds without a malfunction [smilie=l:

I never used the red that has Hornady attached to it and the only thing I have used that is remotely close is an old Pacific 007 press . The only thing it has in common is it's linkage and it is red . It doesn't seem to care whether it's working on lead , brass or copper . I don't remember hearing horrible things about Hornady , other than the "lock and load" thing I probably might have bought one of their presses . I do use their Spray on case lube and the gun cleaner spray lube though and like the stuff .

I'm lacking a hands-on experience with a RCBS progressive , I already had a decent machine when RCBS fielded their machines . So like the Hornady , I might be missing the boat here . However , I have used other green Kool-aid products and they work so well I've only had to use their service department once for a minor part . I use several of their bullet molds and have a Uniflo measure I've used since the seventies .

The red press I left to buy a Dillon 550 ( not the B model ) was a Bonanza and I still use it in conjunction with the other machines . The Dillon loaded several hundred thousand rounds of everything from 30-06 to .45ACP with some 32-20 and .357magnum mixed in for flavor . The only cartridge that gives me trouble is the .308 Winchester , that is overcome by lubing the inside of the case neck well . I have several of their dies and the primer pocket swager so it can't be said that I will bleed blue if cut . I must say though that after using this press since around 1986 or so I needed a bell crank for the powder measure . I had to send it back and they didn't just replace the part ..... they gave me a new measure .

Just so ya don't think I'm bashing red color schemes in general , I do have a ram prime system and some push through sizer dies that work pretty well with lead bullets . Also I have one of their little hand press gizmos and it works real well but then ....... it's a single stage and gets away from what you are looking for , it does work well with lead bullets though .

I got a chance to use a press that loaded millions of rounds in it's lifetime . It was a Star that was setup to load .38 Special ammo and every day it was run it made just over two thousand rounds . It had a partner on the other side of the bench that was set up for .223 Remington ammo ... it loaded both lead and jacketed ammo though . They were the most trouble free machines I've seen yet .

Duzzat hep yew enny ? :cbpour:

Jack

troy_mclure
04-09-2011, 07:36 AM
lost this thread, lol

i was more curious if any of the progressives were sensitive to gumming up from the boolit lube or not.

Doby45
04-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Once again, this has nothing to do with the press. Any press will gum up if you are doing something wrong. If you are running thick mule snot lube and gumming up your dies it will not matter if the dies are mounted in a Dillon, Lee, RCBS, Hornady or any other brand of press. The dies will still be gummed up. With traditional lube you should not worry about gumming up your dies.

keyhole
04-09-2011, 11:25 AM
The Dillon pistol dies are convenient to use for cast bullets. After seating a quantity you can get build-up of bullet lube, depending on lube type, inside any brand of seating die. With the Dillon seating die, you just pull a retaining clip and the seating stem comes right out. You can clean the stem and inside the die body and then reinsert the stem. You do not lose the setting for seating depth, which is very convenient. Maybe other die brands have this feature but I have not seen it. As you know, a build-up inside the seating die will cause the seating depth and overall length to change, which is not good.
To me anyway, it is the Dillon dies which give an advantage for loading cast bullets, not the press itself. I have a 550B, by the way.

7of7
04-10-2011, 11:42 PM
lost this thread, lol

i was more curious if any of the progressives were sensitive to gumming up from the boolit lube or not.

That be a die issue, not a press issue. I use the Hornady dies, and do need to clean the seating die out every now and then,.. basically, when the guide comes out of the die. I find it more with the tumble lube bullets as the entire bullet is coated. I think part of the problem was that I didn't have the cases belled out enough.. just a hair under what it needed.. so, after a little adjustment, the issue went away.
Now, if your press is gumming up, then you have some different problems and it isn't related to the bullets you are using, most likely how much lube you are using on the bullet, and where the bullet is at that you are lubing, and your lubing technique..:kidding:

I do like Hornady dies, they have reduced my timing issues, read finger pinch issues, with the moving bullet guide..just gives me a little more warning before the squish..

captaint
04-12-2011, 02:45 AM
I'm reading this thread with interest, cause I'm thinking about getting a 550B. My question is - do we have to use Dillon dies?? I have all the great dies I need now.... thanks Mike

Doby45
04-12-2011, 06:38 AM
Use whatever dies you have.

Crash_Corrigan
04-12-2011, 06:58 AM
I have a RL 550 B, a Square Deal Press, A Lee Classic Turret Press, a Midway single stage press, a Lyman Spar T 6 station turret press, a Lee Challenger and a Lee hand press.

I load my .38's, 45 ACP's, 223's, 41 Mags,45 Colt, 327 Federal Magnum, 30 Carbine, 6.5 x 55, 30-06, 303's, 8 x 57's on the Dillon 550B. I load 9 MM's on the Square Deal. When loading black powder I use the Lyman Spar T as it has 6 stations and I really pay attention with the Holy Black. I load for my 50-90 Sharps BPCR and my .44 Special for now with black powder. It is just so much fun to shoot with that big booming report and big cloud of white smoke. Cleaning the gun and decapping the brass immediately and immersing same in water with Dawn is a PITA but I can live with it.

The single stage presses are pretty much relegated to decapping primers and working up experimental loads along with the Lee Classic Press. Neither are fast but I have confidence in them and they will get the job done. I am retired I have a lot of time.

firebrick43
04-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Most dies work with a Dillion. I would recommend hornady lock ring in place of the lee ones and some lee dies are short enough that you need to put the lock ring under the head instead of below. There is no need to have an m die on a progressive. Either call lee's custom shop or take to a friend with a lathe and have them turn a new expander to the correct dimensions for your lee powder die so you can bell and charge in one station instead of two. Be careful with extruded powder in rifle cases as most any type of measure can plug up with them.

Also lee's auto disk measure with there charging die works fine with the dillon for much less if you install a measure on each die head to make change overs quicker, dillon pays patent fees to lee as they are very similar in design.

As far as the lee loadmaster goes, I can not recommend it for doing lots of different calibers. Mine works great when set up and tuned but needs fiddled with alot especially if changing primer sizes. You better be very mechanically inclined and have a set of meddle files and stones to clean up burrs when you get one to. They are a good press if you put a couple of hours of work into it and read/watch the directions YouTube. But I can not recommend them to most guys for the above mentioned reasons and absolutely lousy instructions.

So I typically recommend the Dillion 550b with lee dies/ powder measure to save on caliber changes.

troy1
11-30-2011, 11:08 AM
I have loaded upwards of around 40,000 rounds through my press between me and another guy. Good machine so far and hornady has great customer service.

btroj
11-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Doby is right, cast or jacketed it makes no difference. A press is a press and dies are dies.
Pick the press and dies that fits your needs and budget and get to work. Any attempt to state a press is "better" for cast is marketing hype to me.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Here are good choices, pick the features and speed you like:

Dillon 550
Dillon 650
Hornady LnL AP EzJect
RCBS Pro 2000
Lee Classic Turret

Changing the order doesn't matter, they all work well if setup properly. Any one I haven't mentioned, I don't have a lot of experience with.

Just my .02,

Dave

cigarman454
12-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Had 2 550's now I use a Hornady LNL. Much cheaper to change over, it is a 5 station and auto indexes. Did keep one of my Dillon powder checks. Hornady has a lifetime warranty also.

zomby woof
12-03-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm using the Loadmaster with great success. I have almost twenty years behind mine, so i know every bump in the road with it.

omgb
12-03-2011, 01:21 PM
I load a lot of cast ammo on a progressive so I think I know what I'm talking about. First and foremost, there is a difference when loading cast. You will need an expander stage on your press to slightly bell case mouths. So that means, with a powder cop die, that you need a sizing station, a powder station, a powder cop station, a flaring station and a seating and crimping station. That's five stations, so your press must have five stations. Other than that, I don't think there's a hill of beans difference between the functionality of either the LNL or the Dillon series presses. I have issues with any of the Lee progressives based on my negative experiences with the Pro 1000 and things I've read about their big heavy duty progressive.

hhranch
12-03-2011, 02:17 PM
I've loaded a lot of cast boolits as well as J-words (but not so many) on a Dillon 550B for the last 20 years or so. No problems with the boolits, but I did wear out a couple of the priming slides that had to be replaced.

LUBEDUDE
12-04-2011, 02:21 PM
If you wanna -

Cadillac, get a 550B

Lexus, get an XL 650

Rolls Royce, get a 1050

Simple as that.