PDA

View Full Version : hard lube?

450 racer
03-26-2011, 09:54 AM
just mixed up my first batch of lube 1lb bees wax 1lb paraffin 1 table spoon stp oil treatment. it came out very hard when left to dry over night could not get boolits out and did not stick to any of them is there any thing I can do to soften it ?

Link23
03-26-2011, 10:05 AM
ad some petrilioum jelly to it

blaser.306
03-26-2011, 10:10 AM
ad some petrilioum jelly to it

As mentioned petroleum jelly will make the lube softer but a little anhydrous lanolin will make is stick like sh** to a wool blanket ! Jmho, Ymmv !!!

fryboy
03-26-2011, 12:39 PM
a couple tablespoons of oil per pound of various wax makes a decent enough hard lube , as noted you added one tablespoon for two pounds ( of a much thicker oil ) from the recipe thread , basically for all intents and purposes you still have almost straight wax

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26524

" "California Saeco Green"
2 lbs Beeswax
2 lbs Paraffin
1 lb STP Oil Treatment "
----------------------------
saeco green works well , a lil less stp or more wax makes it a bit harder , mine came out hard enough to use a lil heat in the sizer for best results ( but i also made several pounds as i use alot of it and i also added some carnuba and lanolin)
with such a hard lube there is two ways to remove it from the cake , a cake cutter , and the "whack it " method , both actually work and work best within a certain temp range , that range will vary per lube mix , one could also dip into a semi molten lube , i'd take say a cup of it and slowly adjust it ( and keep notes ) until i got the desired consistency and results then i'd fix the rest of it , i state a cup because if one goes to far it's easier to fix using a small batch and a cup is enough to test pan lubing , before i got some smaller loaf pans i often made lil aluminum foil test pans , walmart sells some condiment cups that are just right for testing half a dozen boolits in ( this varies with size of boolits tho )

450 racer
03-26-2011, 12:48 PM
I had read in the recipe thread about the one pound of stp then another that it was wrong and should be 1tbs but I will try to add more in a small batch like suggested if that does not work will try lanolin or Vaseline

357maximum
03-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Before I started my lube quest I made a rough graph of oil/slickies to wax ratios. I noticed most lubes that people were making/posting/professing had a 5to1 or 4to1 wax to oil ratio. When I started making lubes I found this ratio to pretty much hold true.

Patrolatum or lanolin will do what you want. If you decide to go with lanolin just be sure to treat lanolin with some care. Excess heat can change/destroy lanolin in a quick hurry. When I use lanolin I save it till last and then I add it to the melted mix immediately after the heat has been removed/shut off.