PDA

View Full Version : Gas Check Shaving

DragoonDrake
03-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Alright I seem to have developed a new problem. I have been using the same sizing die for my 7mm TCU since I got it (which has been less than 2000 bullets). When I first started using I had no problem. Well tonight while sizing my latest casting, my ram started to stick a little. I looked at the bullet and saw what looked like a little copper in the lube. I sized another and had no problem sizing, but there was some more copper in the lube.
I pulled the die out and it had little copper slivers on the outside of it and in the lube holes. I completely cleaned it and looked for burrs, but did not see any. I sized a few with no problem, then started to get more copper slivers. I took the die out again and cleaned it. This time I touched the holes with sand paper and polished the mandrel. I polished the inside of the die as well. I put the die back in and it took another handful to get the same problem again. I am using Hornady gas checks.

Please let me know what I should do? TYIA

Adam

n.h.schmidt
03-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Hi
Did this problem start with a new box of gas checks? They may be too hard . You can soften them up before use. Put some in the oven at a high temp for a while.
Some guys soften them up as standard before use. I haven't had this exact problem before,so I'm guessing.
n.h.schmidt

DragoonDrake
03-27-2011, 12:10 PM
N.H. yes it is a different box, I checked but it is from the same lot. I tried the other box (I thought I used them all) and I have the same problem. So I cleaned the die one more time and placed a sized and checked bullet in the die. I removed the die while the bullet was still in it. Seems I had the bullet stopping with the top of the gas check just about centered in the lube hole (don't know it that is the correct terminology). I can only guess that on the down stroke I was forcing a little of the gas check into the hole and then on the upstroke I was shaving a little off. I changed the height on the stop screw and I have not been having the problem anymore. Never thought to check that position before and don't know how you could without completely cleaning the die out first.