PDA

View Full Version : Help with Lee 452-255-RF double cavity mold

bpg76
12-01-2006, 09:11 PM
Earlier in the summer I started casting with the help and advice of alot of memebers of this forum.I loaded up some of the first ones I cast and shot them and they seemed to shoot ok so i cast up a bunch of them and stored them..Today i decided i was going to load up a bunch of them for my 45 colt.for some reason i was bored and started measuring some of the unsized bullets when i discovered that the base measured about .454 to .455.which was fine but the other two bands measured anywhere from .451 to .448.I started measuring bullets almost all of them came out like that so i measured a sample of all the bullets i cast over the summer and got the same results..My question is did i do something wrong or was my mold made wrong?

357maximum
12-01-2006, 10:14 PM
I have the same mold in 6 cavity...I get measurements real similar to yours..

BUT..I have shot them unsized out of a marlin 45 cowboy, and in sabots in a .50 encore 15 inch mz pistol with better than expected accuracy...if they work use em' if they do not work as well as you like size them lil critters as little as neccessary...I find that boolits that taper like this are quite accurate despite preconcieved notions......

44man
12-01-2006, 11:43 PM
That is a strange thing that happens! I make my own molds with cherries and although the cherry is the same size all the way from end to end, my boolits have larger base bands then the front bands. Don't ask, I am baffled.

mag_01
12-02-2006, 12:43 AM
I have that mold and will check some of mine when I get a chance----Buff your mold with a buffing compound like 3M brand ---I use a cloth chucked up in a drill--- get it good and shinny and don't smoke the mold----get your mold hot and boolits will drop easy. I size to .452 and don't remember having a problem----Mag

bpg76
12-04-2006, 11:50 AM
is the bullet designed to be tapered?the front two bands arent even big enough in diameter to get sized.

Buckshot
12-04-2006, 01:47 PM
is the bullet designed to be tapered?the front two bands arent even big enough in diameter to get sized.

..............I seriously doubt the design is supposed to be tapered.

.............Buckshot

mag_01
12-04-2006, 05:15 PM
:coffee: ----bpg76---- I measured my boolits and most measure .4525 at bottom band and the top band .0005 or .001 Th's. larger add some tin to Ur mix as bar solder or roll solder that would be used in Elect. soldering. Also clean that mold with a buffing compound like 3M (auto store) and cast as is when it is nice and shiny. I use a cloth chucked up in a drill and spin it in the mold---keep mold good and hot and water drop. Enjoy your 45 Long Colt

Where dose this road end.:castmine:

bpg76
12-05-2006, 01:15 PM
mag 01

thanks for the tips ..ill give them a try