PDA

View Full Version : Worked the indoor range today

melloairman
03-25-2011, 07:59 PM
It is 22RF and air rifle only . Pulled another 200 pounds out of it . I pulled 220 pounds out of it about 3 months ago and left what was not easy pickings . It turned out to be 10 bhn by my cabine tree tester . No one had cleaned this trap in 5 years . So this time I took 12 5 gallon buckets full of target , cardboard wast out of it . To clean it up for the club . 3 hours of work but 200 more pounds of free lead as far as cash goes . The bottom of this trap is dirt on top of cement . If I was to mine the dirt I would probable come up with another 200 pounds . Marvin

Doc Highwall
03-25-2011, 09:32 PM
I have a lot of lead just like you just got. I melt it down in an 11qt Dutch oven into 20lb ingots the first melt. Then I weigh it to alloy in an 8qt Dutch oven fluxing it a second time getting 99% of the crud out before adding tin. I then pour it into ingots that fit into my melting pots making a nice clean alloy.

melloairman
03-25-2011, 10:55 PM
My air rifles are shooting at around 1000-1100 fps so I will use it as it is . Marvin

*Paladin*
03-26-2011, 12:10 AM
Congrats! 200 lbs of lead for free ain't too shabby!

melloairman
03-26-2011, 12:58 AM
I am the only one my range is letting mine right now . This sure beating the out door range . I have over a ton in ingots now . It is work but the lead is cash free. Problem with the out door range is .If I bring home 200 pounds I only get 100 pounds of usable lead . And a bunch of jackets and what ever else rises to the top . And that shoveling gets a old man down fast . Marvin

leadsquirter
03-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Marvin, Those jackets that you mention are worth some bucks at the salvage yard. I melted down several buckets of outdoor range lead recently and ended up with a 3/4 full 5 gal. bucket of copper jackets, got $150.00 for it at the salvage yard. Just be sure to get as many stones and steel jackets out as possible. I use a big magnet to get the steel out.

melloairman
03-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Yes I have been separating the brass . From my out door mining . My re cycler calls it dirty brass and dirty lead when I take it to him . But this is so much nicer . They do not allow any jacket bullets in this range . All I get when I melt this down is lead and some either or molly , graphite lube that comes to the top. Marvin

a.squibload
04-05-2011, 05:29 AM
I read here some time ago about screening range dirt, you might could make
a small one to carry in there, 'course that means more digging!