PDA

View Full Version : Jakes Purple Ceresin revisited

Love Life
03-25-2011, 07:52 PM
So I originally tried Jakes purple in a 7 1/2 barrel Freedom Arms chambered in 454 Casull. The lube (Jakes Purple) was an epic fail. I mean I might as well have shot unlubed PB boolits.

Anywho lets fast forward. I decided to give the Jakes purple another try in a lower pressure cartridge. I tried it in the 9mm, 38 Special and 357 Magnum, and the good ol' 45 acp.

The results? Complete and utter fail. This lube was absolutely worthless in all the calibers. Leading throughout the barrels. I can understand the 9mm and 357, but the 38 special and 45 acp? I know all the snipers are going to come out and say "Alloy was wrong, Boolit was undersized, You didn't reload on a full moon." All I can say to that is I have had no leading with any of the above boolits using Speed Green or good ol' uncut LLA.

Bullshop
03-25-2011, 08:13 PM
I am anxious to hear how the Lotak works for you.

btroj
03-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Lube can make a difference. I think some of the harder lubes are OK buy some seem to be no better than using a crayon.
Anyone who wants to snipe at you needs to remember that your gun has told you it doesn't like this lube. If you have good results with other lubes then use them. The gun should always get it's way.

03-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Try cutting it 2:1 with his (or anyone else) 50/50 Alox/Beeswax.

Love Life
03-25-2011, 09:38 PM
I Just got everything ready to lube with the Lotak today. Tomorrow will be spent pan lubing and sizing. I won't be able to shoot until nexy weeken though :(.

RobS
03-25-2011, 11:09 PM
You can salvage Jake's hard lube by melting it down and adding lithium grease. You could also mix it with some 50/50 beeswax-alox as mentioned but then you'll have to find more lube if you don't have it and also deal with the smoke of alox in the mixture.

357maximum
03-26-2011, 02:44 AM
My experience with Jake's Purple Creosote lube was slightly better than yours. I had ZERO leading.

..........................accuracy was dismal with all loads/toys tried however. :sad:

Pretty colored wax does not a lube make. :shock:

Kraschenbirn
03-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Never tried any of Jake's lubes for handgun rounds...50/50 works just fine for everything I load...but have used both Jake's Purple and Jake's Red for CF rifle (up to 2150 fps) without any appreciable leading. Ran close to 100 rounds (311291 sized .310 @ 1980 fps) lubed with Jake's Purple through my Krag sporter last weekend and bore cleaned up mirror-bright after a couple passes with a bronze brush and a half-dozen patches. Oh yeah, shot my best 100M score of the day with the last 10 rounds - 96-3X (iron sights, unsupported prone) - and decided to quit while I was ahead.

Bill

Dutch4122
03-26-2011, 07:50 PM
My experience with Jake's Purple Creosote lube was slightly better than yours. I had ZERO leading.
..........................accuracy was dismal with all loads/toys tried however. :sad:
Pretty colored wax does not a lube make. :shock:

Well..............at least he got the purple part right!:kidding:

josper
05-07-2011, 08:57 AM
I have been using "Jakes molly cresin" lube and it seems to be working well 45-70 loads and 40S&W

Trey45
05-07-2011, 09:06 AM
The only Jakes lube I have used is his 50/50, it's hard to mess up a 50/50 lube. All my other lubes are White Label. They work, every time, all the time. I get zero leading with any of the White Label lubes. The only reason, by the way, that I even have Jakes 50/50 is because Lars was out when I needed some, and Jakes was available on ebay.

josper
05-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Does any one know how Jake's red canuba works. can't beat his prices on e-bay.

imashooter2
05-07-2011, 10:26 AM

Sure you can. White label Lube Carnauba Red is a buck 65 a stick and superior in every way.

Edit to add link:

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

EDK
05-07-2011, 10:24 PM
ALL of LARS' stuff is good. B-A-C or 50/50 works great for my applications. XLOX is d*** good for my RANCH DOG tumble lube boolits. Top it off with a very good price and why would you try the over priced lubes from Midway, etc.? Only complaint is the BLACK POWDER SUPREME wasn't available last time I looked.

The only BULLSHOP product I've tried is the sprue plate lube...don't even know his prices. BUT no one has complained about his lubes...at least that I'm aware of.

pls1911
05-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Lars products rank among the best in the industry... you won't be disappointed.

happy7
05-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Bullshop. I haven't heard of Lotak. Is this a new product of yours? I would like to know more about it.

olovo
05-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Interesting...

I'm using Jake's purple ceresin for 9mm and .357Mag and have no leading whatsoever.

ChuckJaxFL
05-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Interesting...

I'm using Jake's purple ceresin for 9mm and .357Mag and have no leading whatsoever.

This!

(With all the usual caveats about proper fit)

RugerFan
05-15-2011, 10:45 PM
I have used Jake's Scarlet Ceresin in a variety of pistol and rifle calibers with no leading and decent accuracy. These days I use it mostly for lubing pistol boolits in bulk because its a very hard lube and doesn't make everything sticky.

When I run out, I'll probably just stick with my own variations of Felix lube though.

mtgrs737
05-15-2011, 11:43 PM
100% Lar's White lable Lubes, take your choice, they are reasonably prices and work well enough for me that I can't spend the time trying to make my own lube. I don't like spending money on ebay due to their anti-gun stance and of course Lars is "one of us"!

largecaliberman
05-19-2011, 03:46 PM
I have been using Jake's purple for number of years now.
I have used it in my 9 mm Glock pistol and even with the octogonal rifling and I find that there is some leading after shooting approximate 600 to 800 rounds, there is some traces of leading. To me this is pretty much acceptable. I have also used it in my 38 special plus P, my 357 Magnum and 45 ACP. However if I was to use it in my 44 magnum there is significant leading after shooting around 200 to 300 rounds.

Sometimes a problem could be the grooves on the bullet that does not carry enough lubricant as the bullet goes down the barrel. Also the size of the bullet could be a major factor in the leading problem. One of the best ways to remedy this is to slug your barrel and whatever size that may be add .001 to the dimension and use the proper sizing die.

Now if your bullet mold is dishing out bullets that are too small you may want to lap the bullet mold with a lapping compound that is used to grind intake and exhaust valves that is usually available at an auto parts store.

Love Life
05-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Wow this thread was dormant for awhile, but has really been getting some hits lately. Thank you for all the suggestions for helping me fix my leading problem, but that was taken care of by switching lubes.

At the time my first post all of my barrels and revolver chambers had been slugged. Size was not the issue.

Alloy was good and proven in all the stated calibers with other lubes so that was not the issue.

Powder charge or brand was not the issue.

Velocity was not the issue.

The issue was jakes purple crayon (ceresin)

My go to lube now adays is Lotak Hard with a good supply of speed green to fall back on. If for some reason I run out of those lubes then LLA does the trick for me every time. Jakes lube just did not work for me. If it has for others I am glad because the price isn't bad.

beladran
05-20-2011, 01:02 PM
I have used jakes purple in 38spl with h&g 73&50, mihec 38 mold. All those have either large lube grooves or multi grooves. I have since changed to BAC since it seems easier to work with

69papatango
06-08-2011, 10:07 PM
You can salvage Jake's hard lube by melting it down and adding lithium grease. You could also mix it with some 50/50 beeswax-alox as mentioned but then you'll have to find more lube if you don't have it and also deal with the smoke of alox in the mixture.

How much lithium grease would I need to mix it with to get the same consistancy as 50/50? I'm running a LAM II without a heater.
Thanks

RobS
06-12-2011, 02:09 AM
I would go with 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of the cheap lithium (not lithium complex or even EP lithium greases) depending on which Jakes lube you have there. Start with 1/2 tsp per stick first since it's easier to add more later-on. Another option is to use Vaseline however I prefer lithium grease for its lubrication component.

Slinger
03-08-2012, 04:30 PM
I use Jake's Purple in all my handgun bullets ranging from the 9mm to .44 mag., to 45 ACP to 45 Colt. I get normal to excellent accuracy with no leading to minimal leading depending on gun, load, etc. I see that others that posted get satisfactory results as well. I also use Glenn's C-Red with the same results as Jake's. A couple of Glenn's other lubes did not work nearly as well as either the C-Red or Jake's purple in my handguns. Doesn't mean they are no good, it just means they don't work well in my guns for whatever reason. So, I'll continue to use BOTH C-RED & JAKE'S PURPLE CERESIN with excellent results.

JScott
03-10-2012, 01:15 PM

I can't speak for Jakes Carnuba but I had okay results with the Scarlet Cerasin in 8mm rifle and 44 mag before I found White Label. Leading seemed to be minimal and accuracy was what I expected. I did notice that it tended to shrink when it aged (over a year) in the lube grooves. It also was very hard and required a fair amount of heat to keep flowing. I recently ran out of my regular White Label and still had some Scarlet as well as 50/50. I mixed them 1:2 and that mix seems to be working well in 45ACP and 38 Special. Harder than 50/50 but not crayon hard like the original Scarlet. Once I have used it up, however, I'm going back to White Label. No sense reinventing the wheel...

Ausglock
03-13-2012, 05:12 AM
G'day.
I use Jake's purple cerasin in 9mm, 38 Super, 357Sig, 38 special, 357mag, 40 S&W and 45ACP.
It is the best lube for all my pistols.

I can fire 300 rounds through the Para 45ACP with a shiny bore afterwards.
The 40 S&W is fired in a factory Glock 35 barrel. Again, no leading after 300 rounds.
The 9mm is a Glock 34 with Stormlake barrel that is a clean as a whistle after 200 rounds.
The 38 Super is a Kimber Stainless target II that loves the Lee 125 RN and Jake's Pruple.
S&W 586 4" for the 38Sp and the 357Mag.

All of them have been tried with WLL BAC, but it is too soft for the Aussie summer heat.

Love Life
03-13-2012, 10:50 AM
I use Jake's Purple in all my handgun bullets ranging from the 9mm to .44 mag., to 45 ACP to 45 Colt. I get normal to excellent accuracy with no leading to minimal leading depending on gun, load, etc. I see that others that posted get satisfactory results as well. I also use Glenn's C-Red with the same results as Jake's. A couple of Glenn's other lubes did not work nearly as well as either the C-Red or Jake's purple in my handguns. Doesn't mean they are no good, it just means they don't work well in my guns for whatever reason. So, I'll continue to use BOTH C-RED & JAKE'S PURPLE CERESIN with excellent results.

Good for you!! [smilie=w:

Slinger
03-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Good for you!! [smilie=w:

What a thoughtful response.......................................... ...

Love Life
03-13-2012, 12:16 PM
What a thoughtful response.......................................... ...

I was just expressing that I was happy that it worked for you. Maybe I should give Jakes purple another go. I still have a few sticks in the "Random Lube" box.

Reload3006
03-13-2012, 12:20 PM
I love the stuff. It works great for me only down side is you gotta keep it hot to use. But it does what it does great. at least it has for me. Wish I could figure out a close recipe for it Id make it myself.

Love Life
03-13-2012, 12:37 PM
This thread has me a thinking again. My original assumption was that maybe the lube was to hard, so after issues I abandoned it. Fast forward and now I use a lot of thompson Blue Angel lube, which is also a hard boolit lube, but has worked very well.

Time to do some more experimenting with the Jakes. Again.

runfiverun
03-13-2012, 01:04 PM
sometimes it ain't the lube.
i have used a ton of different lubes, from the hard crappy commercial stuff [still have 10-12 sticks of it] which does as well as anything else most of the time b.t.w.
to jakes ceresin purple [works really good in my 308]
lymans moly,saeco green,carnuba red,50-50,b.a.c.
made my own lubes with everything from candles-crayons-beeswax-parrafin to grease and soap.
i have tried them all melted together in various amounts too.
leading was never really an issue with any of them.
matching ambient temp and gas pressure to the lubes viscosity probably saved me a lot of headaches.