PDA

View Full Version : Can I use 22lr lead in swaged bullets?

Utah Shooter
03-25-2011, 04:51 PM
So I have a thought that I am pretty sure it is not this easy but is it possible? Can I pull the lead out of a 22lr, empty the case, fire it and then use the lead that I pulled to go in as the core? Or is it not soft enough lead?

buck1
03-25-2011, 05:50 PM
That lead is pretty soft. melt it down , clean it and it should work fine

BT Sniper
03-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Enjoy the lead and shoot it into somthing you can recover the fired bullet from! Might as well better your shooting skills. You will need to melt the lead down anyway and recast it in a smaller diameter to use for cores. Heck if all you need is lead there are those here that sell it shiped for about $1lb. Then if you need 22LR brass there are those around with buckets full of that too.

1lb of lead should yeld near 125-150 cores or so I would imagine.

BT

BT Sniper
03-25-2011, 06:13 PM
But now I'm thinking trying to understand exactly what your asking...... If you did pull the 22 bullets you would have a 38-40 grain core all ready at desired weight. If you could size it down to the necessary core diameter and figured out if the lube on those bullets all ready would casue problems then it may work if this is in fact what you are asking. I haven't tried it but like I say anythign is possible.

BT

Utah Shooter
03-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Well the reason I ask is because I do not have anything to press the lead into a specific weight. I know what the wieght of the lead is from the 22lr.

BT Sniper
03-25-2011, 06:30 PM
True, that's what I fugured but the 22 bullet you pull will be to big in diameter for a core as I understand it. Maybe lee has a .200ish bullet sizing die to offer? Don't know yet what diameter you will need but it is posted here somewhere.

ANeat
03-25-2011, 06:52 PM
You want the core and the "jacket" to be smaller than the finished diameter. The bullet as loaded would be too big (diameter) to load into jackets. Plus as BT mentioned the lube would screw things up.

You want the core to be squeaky clean when its seated into the jacket.

Most core dies produce a .190 ish diameter core

When the core is seated then everything comes up to the finished diameter. The jacket has a little more "springback" than the lead core and that provides a good grip.

ANeat
03-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Also there are folks that provide cores

BT Sniper
03-25-2011, 06:58 PM
True, that's what I fugured but the 22 bullet you pull will be to big in diameter for a core as I understand it. Maybe lee has a .200ish bullet sizing die to offer? Don't know yet what diameter you will need but it is posted here somewhere.

Utah Shooter
03-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Also there are folks that provide cores
Do you know of such a company?

ANeat
03-25-2011, 07:27 PM
I know there are some folks that cater to the benchrest swagers and just provide cores of a specific weight. They usually have a 5k minimum.

If you just needed a few or several hundred I might be able to fix ya up. Not sure what the cost would be

Utah Shooter
03-25-2011, 08:15 PM
You know I just wished I could find a place online to find them. I still have yet to decide to take the plunge however.

hardcase54
03-26-2011, 02:50 AM
Utah, pm me you contact info and I'll send you a few cores. What weight do you want?

hardcase54

buck1
03-26-2011, 02:26 PM
22s are dry lubed .

deltaenterprizes
03-26-2011, 10:54 PM
A rolling machine could roll the 22 slugs down to a smaller diameter to allow use as a core.

MightyThor
03-28-2011, 04:00 PM
For very little money you can make your own cores and they will be very consistent. With a little sorting you can make a range of bullets. I make core molds by taking old bullet molds, (primarily round ball molds cause they tend to be cheap). Drill the bottom of the mold for your core and then a hole for the pivot screw for the cut off plate. The size of the drill bit determines the diameter of your core and the depth of your hole determines your core weight.

I made bullets for many years just seating my cast cores long before I ever started swaging cores. Those bullets shot just fine.

MIBULLETS
03-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Try emailing this guy... Charlie Hood. He doesn't have cores on his website but I have heard of people getting ready made cores from him.

Hoodpress@benchrest.com

http://www.benchrest.com/hoodpress/

deltaenterprizes
03-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Benchrest quality cores will be expensive and a waste of dollars because of the variations of the weight in the 22LR brass will not benchrest quality bullets in the end.
Your money would be better spent on a core mold.
What weight cores are you wanting to purchase? I can extrude wire and may be convinced to cut cores.

MIBULLETS
03-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Oh, I never said they would be cheap, just answering the question he asked.

Utah Shooter
03-29-2011, 12:56 AM
For very little money you can make your own cores and they will be very consistent. With a little sorting you can make a range of bullets. I make core molds by taking old bullet molds, (primarily round ball molds cause they tend to be cheap). Drill the bottom of the mold for your core and then a hole for the pivot screw for the cut off plate. The size of the drill bit determines the diameter of your core and the depth of your hole determines your core weight.

I made bullets for many years just seating my cast cores long before I ever started swaging cores. Those bullets shot just fine.
Love the Silverado quote.

hardcase54
03-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Utah Shooter, just mailed you a few "cut cores" and a few jackets. Should be enough for you to try.
harscase54

Utah Shooter
03-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Hey thank you very much. Again I would like to pay you for them. Let me know how much?

hardcase54
03-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Nah, gratis.

hardcase54

MightyThor
03-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Love the Silverado quote.

Very possibly one of the 10 best westerns of all time.