PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1885 125th anniversary gun

NSB
03-25-2011, 03:59 PM
I need to hear some thoughts on this gun for competition. Would this gun be competitive in long range shooting? It has a 28" oct bbl and weighs 9.7 lbs. Could a person compete with this gun at long range shooting? Is the gun inheritantly accurate enough? Would the weight be a problem shooting 45-70 for an extended amount of time? I'd appreciate some feedback if you have any thoughts. It's about 400 dollars cheaper than the BPCR gun. Is it worth spending the extra money?

peerlesscowboy
03-25-2011, 05:25 PM
I assume it'd be accurate enuf' if you installed a long range soule vernier rear sight and a spirit level globe front but the sights would cost more than $400.

Gussy
03-25-2011, 06:23 PM
I need to hear some thoughts on this gun for competition. Would this gun be competitive in long range shooting? It has a 28" oct bbl and weighs 9.7 lbs. Could a person compete with this gun at long range shooting? Is the gun inheritantly accurate enough? Would the weight be a problem shooting 45-70 for an extended amount of time? I'd appreciate some feedback if you have any thoughts. It's about 400 dollars cheaper than the BPCR gun. Is it worth spending the extra money?

I'd say if you want to compete, buy a BPCR. That's what it's made for. I have 3 of them (40-65, 45-70, 45-90).

I'm not familiar with that model but it sounds like a hunting rifle. Yes, it will shoot but usually that configuration will beat you to death. Also, I'm not sure if it has a tang that good sites can be mounted on.

peerlesscowboy
03-25-2011, 10:26 PM
Winchester website say's it's got a "decelerator pad" and the receiver is drilled and tapped for a tang sight.

I think it kind'a depends on how serious you are about competition? If you're just getting together with the guys once in awhile for an afternoon of good clean fun I think you'd get along with the rifle fine........OTOH, if you were really serious about competing and winning the BPCR would have a little edge.

John C. Saubak

doubs43
03-25-2011, 10:31 PM
The Anniversary Hi-Wall is drilled and tapped for a tang sight but it's not your best choice for a long range rifle. It's rather light for the heavy bullets necessary to get out to 1000 yards accurately and will, as Gussy says, hammer you pretty good over a course of fire. The 28" barrel doesn't give you the best sight radius for accuracy at distance either.

Gussy is also correct in saying that a BPCR is better for your purpose than the Winchester Anniversary Model. A 30 - 34 inch heavy barrel, the best Creedmore rear sight you can afford, a top quality globe front sight with spirit level and double set triggers would serve you well. A high comb on the stock and a pistol grip are also helpful. A flat shotgun butt will be easier on the shoulder than a crescent butt. The caliber could be 45-70, 45-90, 45-110 or 45-120. The first two are fairly inexpensive to shoot while the longer brass gets on up there in price.

Look at Shiloh Sharps, C. Sharps and Pedersoli. Browning and Winchester also make BPCR models. NONE of them are cheap but you'll get what you pay for.

There are more experienced long range shooters on the forum who can give you better advice but I don't think anyone will have major heartburn with any of my recommendations.

peerlesscowboy
03-25-2011, 10:43 PM
FWIW, here's the rifle we're talking about;

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=002C&mid=534170

Gussy
03-26-2011, 08:11 PM
FWIW, here's the rifle we're talking about;

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=002C&mid=534170

Yep, a hunting rifle.

For good target work you need a heavier barrel (BPCR has a Badger target barrel), pistol grip for better control. Get a BPCR. You can find new or near new with sights for $1200-1600 if you aren't in rush. They seem to keep showing up new in the box or very few shots through them.

I hunt with mine. I've shot deer, elk and bear with them. Yes, a BPCR is a couple of pounds heavier but when I can't carry 3 extra pounds, I'll quit hunting or park my butt and wait for them to come to me.

One note about BPCR and hunting. The target sights suck. Get a scope on it (BPCRs are drilled and tapped for mounts) or hunting iron sights.

HEAD0001
03-26-2011, 08:27 PM
WOW. $1600 for a stock with straight grain?? And cheap sights?? Have they just gone nuts in their pricing?? Or are people really paying those prices. Heck 6 or 7 years ago an 1885 in 45-70 was selling for $600 to $800. Heck I bought a High Grade 1886 for a little over $800-brand new. I remember when they were closing out the last of the BPCR's awhile back. They were under $700. We bought a couple on close out from Jerry's. Tom.

bigted
03-26-2011, 08:32 PM

i bought that model winchester except its not the anniversary model...otherwise it is that exact rifle. the cresent buttplate will drive you nuts within just a small number of shots...till you get careless and put the point on your shoulder wrong.

accuracy wise this is the thing to behold. mine shoots the blackpowder charges with ease and is very accurate. hunting wise this is a wonderfull rifle to own...competition wise i think id buy the winchester bprc rifle...its heavyier and has a shotgun buttplate as well as a pistolgrip stock. the barrel is a badger i believe so will be very competitive indeed. either gun is well made and the finish is outstanding for sure. that anniversery model is definetly a thing of beuty...maybe too pretty to take out and thrash in the field.

cant remember whether its the winchester or the browning 1885 bprc guns come with the long range sights and ready for competition without the additional cost of sights. either model has the steel wrist tang to mount sights on and yes they are all drilled n tapped for these sights as well as the marples style post tang site.

peerlesscowboy
03-26-2011, 08:36 PM
For good target work you need a heavier barrel (BPCR has a Badger target barrel), pistol grip for better control. Get a BPCR. You can find new or near new with sights for $1200-1600 if you aren't in rush. They seem to keep showing up new in the box or very few shots through them.
I bought one in .45-90 about a year ago brand new from that guy in Texas that advertises on the internet without sights for just under $1600. I was happy to buy it without sights as I planned to mount a set of MVA sights anyway.

John C. Saubak

peerlesscowboy
03-26-2011, 08:42 PM
i bought that model winchester except its not the anniversary model...otherwise it is that exact rifle. the cresent buttplate will drive you nuts within just a small number of shots...till you get careless and put the point on your shoulder wrong.
The rifle the fellow was inquiring about has a decelerator pad, not a crescent buttplate [smilie=b:

Gussy
03-27-2011, 02:09 PM
WOW. $1600 for a stock with straight grain?? And cheap sights?? Have they just gone nuts in their pricing?? Or are people really paying those prices. Heck 6 or 7 years ago an 1885 in 45-70 was selling for $600 to $800. Heck I bought a High Grade 1886 for a little over $800-brand new. I remember when they were closing out the last of the BPCR's awhile back. They were under $700. We bought a couple on close out from Jerry's. Tom.

I was referring to the older Browning. The stocks on Brownings, at least mine, are XXX quality. Nothing plain straight grain about them!!! Cheap sight?? Yes, not MVA's but they do work. The only issue I have with them is the detent is not stiff (I've bent the spring and they are now solid lock up), but since I have several sets, I'm used to that and checking them is part of getting ready for the shot. I've found them quite repeatable. Not as good as many but the price was right at the time.

bigted
03-27-2011, 03:39 PM
The rifle the fellow was inquiring about has a decelerator pad, not a crescent buttplate [smilie=b:

my mistake. i gathered that he was talking about the "traditional hunter" anniversary model. again...my mistake.

id still get the bpcr model from browning or winchester !...:holysheep...[smilie=f:

peerlesscowboy
03-27-2011, 07:16 PM
my mistake. i gathered that he was talking about the "traditional hunter" anniversary model. again...my mistake.

id still get the bpcr model from browning or winchester !...:holysheep...[smilie=f:
..........I agree tho', ....the crescent buttplate on the traditional hunter is an abomination. I have one of those in .38-55 and I had a custom butt stock made for it with a shotgun buttplate and pistol grip. When the gunsmith asked me what he should do with the original (crescent buttplated, straightgripped) stock, I told him "keep it if you want it, I'll never use it".

bigted
03-31-2011, 12:06 PM
i love my straight stock...i glued close cell foam in the curve of the cresent and after grinding it flat and contoured for the stock...i installed a lace-up leather pad so it looks kinda period correct. now the length of pull is closer to my needs and i dont have those sharp gougers thrusing into my shoulder when trying to shoot with a scope installed for load development. i did this for a browning...[exact same rifle] in 45-120 and it saved my life...something to try sometime...trigger off 125gr of goex 2f powder behind a 457125 lyman boolit [119gr ww] with a cresent plate n straight grip stock...def a attention getter in a 8lbs rifle

if you arnt going to use your ould buttstock id be interested in buying it from you.

peerlesscowboy
04-01-2011, 09:00 AM
if you arnt going to use your ould buttstock id be interested in buying it from you.
Sorry, I gave it to the gunsmith.

bigted
04-01-2011, 10:12 AM
i just prused the net looking for a bpcr and if looking at winchesters they can be had for around a grand...without sights.

the brownings are a little more but can be also had for around 1500 to 1800 dollars and this includes the browning "soule" sights.

both these type 1885's come with a pistolgrip and shotgun style butstock. they both have half round/ half octagon barrels and i believe they both wear badger barrels. not sure about the weight but would guess around 11 or 12 lbs...same as my italian sharps rifle.

if i were going to hunt AND target this rifle...id get the browning and install either a tang "marples" style hunting rear and a bead front or a full buckhorn rear and the same bead front for hunting and then have the soule rear and globe spirit front for the paperwork.

these are quality guns and very well made...not a faithfull reproduction of the origanal hiwall but very well put together just the same. probably the best "buy" for a production bpcr gun going.

just my 2 cents worth