PDA

View Full Version : Another .30 cal. plain base boolit

JDL
03-25-2011, 03:49 PM
So as to not hijack Ben's thread on the 308241, I'll disclose my morning for you. A while back, when I was feeling rather frugal, I cast maybe 150 of Lyman's 311257, the rather odd ring stop bullet. I was thinking this would be the perfect plinking boolit, just tumble lube and no need to crimp for tube fed rifles. These have a nominal weight of 110 grains but, mine drop at 117 grains. I inspected them to find they were .003" out of round, .311"x.314". I used LLA on a few and shot them just to see. No need in wasting powder and primers on these!
Ben's thread got me thinking about them so I decided to run a few through my .311 sizing die, to reduce the stop ring down and lube the bottom groove. Now I had a light, round boolit that didn't require a gas check but, would they shoot.
I loaded a few with 6 grains of Unique and went out back to try. Using cross sticks at 25 yards, I could only hold them slightly less than 2". As I was pondering this, I decided to go back in and load a few more adding a bit more powder. Seven grains of Unique put the last group of three into .169" C to C. Might have been a fluke but, I have loaded up a box hoping to get 10 into a ragged hole at 50 the next trip to the range.
JDL

NickSS
03-25-2011, 07:13 PM
A plain base 300 cal bullet that I have used with great sucess is the lyman 31108 fp bullet originally designed for the 32-20. I have used them with great success in the 30-30 with 6 gr of Red Dot or 8 gr of Unique. Average results are sub 2" groups at 100 yards. i have used this bullet for over 40 years for plinking and small game hunting with such good results that I never had a desire to try something else in this catagory.