PDA

View Full Version : Should the Corbin dies stay or go?

Utah Shooter
03-25-2011, 12:27 AM
Ok. So lets see here. I have a set of Corbin Point Form Die, Core Seat Die and Jacket Maker. I am debating in between myself and I if doing this fun little task is worth it? So is it worth getting into this hobby or would it be better suited to sell em and buy Hornady's?

sargenv
03-25-2011, 12:39 AM
I say mash em yourself :)

Utah Shooter
03-25-2011, 12:43 AM
Well I would have to get another die for 200 and the wire for another 50. I am just a tight bleepity. And do not have a lot of time.

Bullshop
03-25-2011, 12:46 AM
What caliber?

Utah Shooter
03-25-2011, 12:56 AM
.224 I am also curious if you can use the lead projectile from the 22lr for the core but I do believe that is for a different thread.

b2riesel
03-25-2011, 01:03 AM
How did you come about getting some expensive Corbin .224 dies if you weren't already highly interested in 'this hobby'?

I myself would love a set of .224 dies...but I'm not paying Corbin prices.

I do already have a 5 gallon bucket full of spent .22LR and my lead supply is almost 1200lbs of smelted down range scrap.

Utah Shooter
03-25-2011, 01:14 AM
I picked these up used a while back and now I am realizing there is a bit more time and money involved then I originally thought. I am unsure in my next step and I just joined here so I thought that I would ask before I spent more money on it.

b2riesel
03-25-2011, 01:30 AM
Yep...lot's of time involved...but that's good if you love what you do. As far as the money goes...you already paid for the dies...the rest you can come by cheap.

Just the ability to make your own is a great assurance when availability is tight. I've had an order in with MidwayUSA for some 55gr FMJ Hornady's for two months now. $74 for 1k. The projected in stock date is some time in May. Sure, I could buy some online elsewhere...if they are in stock...and pay more. I've found them locally for $18.88/hundred...or 10 boxes for 188.80.

If I already had the dies I could make them for like...well almost nothing. I get .22LR brass free from a local outdoor range that has a Wednesday night league for .22 rifle and pistol shoots...very casual and actually very very fun. Meet some cool people at these things. I buy range scrap for my .40 and .45 S&W M&P's...and I already drilled me a core mold in a split block of aluminum for the .224 cores....pouring 18 cores at a time. You can literally make thousands of cores in a short amount of time.

SO....Time: yes....Money: No...I say start making those .224 bullets..and enjoy shooting your own.

Utah Shooter
03-25-2011, 03:01 AM
Just the ability to make your own is a great assurance when availability is tight. I've had an order in with MidwayUSA for some 55gr FMJ Hornady's for two months now. $74 for 1k. The projected in stock date is some time in May. Sure, I could buy some online elsewhere...if they are in stock...and pay more. I've found them locally for $18.88/hundred...or 10 boxes for 188.80.
Well that is why I got them in the first place. Just was curious I guess if it is really worth the time to make say 1,000 bullets.

BwBrown
03-25-2011, 08:27 AM
PM me.
I'd be more than happy to give a fair price and make you a thousand bullets to boot.
Bob