PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the help!

Aldeer
12-01-2006, 06:17 PM
I got started at this game late (turn 50 next week) and have only been reloading for about 4 years, all on a good but slow Rock Chucker.

About a year ago I found this site and got into casting. First one mold, then some more, and then some group buys. Now my reloading can't keep up with the shiny jewels falling from all those molds.

So.... after some advice from you all I've got a Dillon 550B on the way with conversion kits for 38/357, 44spc/44mag, 45lc, and 45acp. That's not all my calibers but it's a good start.

Thanks guys. With the internet and this site, I've been able to use a lot of your experience to help make up for my lack of it.

Aldeer

Four Fingers of Death
12-02-2006, 05:44 AM
Good to see you are doing what we did earlier, picking brains and listening. It's a bit easier to eavesdrop now with the internet. I started with a RC in1981 (actually a Lee loader in the early 70s). Still my main machine.

carpetman
12-02-2006, 07:24 AM
Aldeer---I started with a Rockchucker in 1967 and it's still what I use. I figure doing things one step at a time,plenty can go wrong and I have a better chance of finding it.

Zed
12-02-2006, 08:09 AM
I certainly agree with Aldeer, I've been lurking for a few months gathering information on what it might take to get into casting. I haven't taken that last step quite yet, still surveying for sources of raw material, but about ready to at least start smelting.

I too started reloading in the '60's with an old rock chuck. College, service, marriage, & family kind of put that activity on hold...for 30 some years! Well, I'm back at reloading with a new rock chucker & thinking on expanding that most enjoyable hobby into casting. Why not, all I shoot is lead anyway, and a bunch of it...

Steve

AZ-Stew
12-03-2006, 10:51 PM
IMHO, it's very important for a reloader (handloader) to begin with a single-stage press. This allows the loader to learn how to set up dies and how to discipline himself to follow procedures carefully. It pains me that Dillon advertises their wonderful machines to novice handloaders who aren't prepared to handle the individual steps in loading, let alone the multiple steps and multiple chances for error/disaster lurking in each pull of the Blue Press handle. I own a 550 and love it, but I can't imagine having one as my first loading machine. I'm very mechanically inclined, but I've learned over many years of single-stage loading that the loader better know what's happening at each step, or should spend a few $$ on a good bullet puller, assuming he catches his mistakes before pulling the trigger.

You guys sound like you're good to go, so have a wonderful time with your new machines. They certainly make the chore of loading handgun ammo a pure pleasure compared to the old 'Chucker.

Regards,

Stew