PDA

View Full Version : Learned something today

Wrbjr
03-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Stopped by Tire Kingdom to see about some WW and the manager told me the Feds had already outlawed lead ww's. The only lead they get is through attrition by stripping it off of cars when they replace tires or get rebalanced. He showed me the new steel units. Oh well.

Bullshop
03-24-2011, 08:01 PM
It boggles my mind in wonderment how they were able to make everyone believe lead was made illegal when it was not.
Lead has never to my knowledge been put on the EPA hazmat list nor is there a federal law banning them that I am aware of yet it seems to have become common knowledge to the contrary. How did they pull that off?

David LaPell
03-24-2011, 08:02 PM
It appears as though I need to increase my supply. Here in NY we are already operating under the new Reichs Chancellor's lead regulations. I have been to most tire stores, and just about all of them have gone to the steel things. I have however, discovered an idea about maybe seeing if the garage would give me the steel ones. I turn them in, and either buy lead with that or swap the steel for its value equivalent in lead WW's because they have tons, I just can't afford to buy all the WW's I want.
I can tell you that I just saw recently a school program here in NY where they are teaching the kids how dangerous lead is. I can tell you that when my son was born, my wife signed up for an educational thing with the local child wellness group. They came to the house with all the papers and everything about hazards and all that, and the nurse sat there and asked my wife "Well is there any lead in the house, like bullets and stuff?" At the time I heard that I turned around and looked at the woman and asked her if she thought the baby was going to munch on them. Apparently they tell people its not a good idea to have lead of any kind around the baby. I told the wif after she left that the woman was no longer allowed in the house and that she best talk to her on the phone because I would tell her to go pound sand.
It is nothing more than this nanny state BS that just gets me going, and I'll tell you right now I still see ammo prices going up if the lead gets harder to obtain. While I think the big companies will be ok, I wonder about the small bullet makers who buy recycled lead.

Wrbjr
03-24-2011, 10:21 PM
I had to sign off before I was finished with the original post due to an interruption, however I did question this guy and he was adamant that no retailer could be selling lead ww's due to fed law. I did not get this response from Goodyear or one other outlet that at the moment the name escapes me. They merely advised that they recycled through their parent Corp due to their rules. Includes batteries and WW. Only Tire Kingdom spoke of steel WW.

One source called Tuffy's which is a franchise tire and alignment business was willing to sell me their lead WW if I would check back in a week or so as they just sent out a load for recycling. I showed the owner some samples of what I cast with the ww's and he straight away warmed up when he realized I was an individual and not a recycler per say. Gave me his name and said he would have plenty in a week or so. He never mentioned anything about steel weights. Makes me wonder.

The guy at Tire Kingdom did give me what he had on hand at the time to help me out and the majority of the weights in two small buckets were lead. Maybe 15 or 20 percent were steel. All of the steel weights looked really new for some reason.

This witchhunt against lead really is overblown. At the same time they rant and fume about the evils of lead they fill their homes with mercury laden light bulbs and think nothing of it. Sheeple r us.

I for one sleep better at night with plenty of the dastardly evil Galena in my home.

303Guy
03-25-2011, 04:45 AM
Reminds me of a picture in a newspaper in which a pregnant woman with cigarette in hand was asking what harm some nearby roadworks jack-hammers might be doing to her unborn child!

Theory has it (haven't we all heard some beauties) that the Roman Empire finally fell because the ruling class were using lead cooking utensils which killed them all off.

Perhaps this anti-lead thing is a new age religion?

Skipper488
03-25-2011, 06:44 AM
It hasn't hit federal yet just some states but just because those states have outlawed it means that soon it will effectively be in effect everywhere because manufacturerers won't want to make two different products to do the same thing so Washington state, California, New York and a few others are dictating to the rest of us.

*Paladin*
03-25-2011, 07:14 AM
Yeah, I get the same story from a shop. The said "We'd love to give them to you, but lead is hazardous and it's illegal for us to give them to a non-recycler" or something to effect. Fortunately, not all shops are run by idiots.

leadman
03-25-2011, 11:47 AM
The Romans drank their wine from lead goblets. Lead sweetens the taste of wine I read. Using lead in this manner would most likely be harmful to a person.

Having a boolet injected into a body will speed up the process.

BulletFactory
03-25-2011, 12:04 PM
It boggles my mind in wonderment how they were able to make everyone believe lead was made illegal when it was not.
Lead has never to my knowledge been put on the EPA hazmat list nor is there a federal law banning them that I am aware of yet it seems to have become common knowledge to the contrary. How did they pull that off?

The same way that people are made to be afraid of guns.

fredj338
03-25-2011, 03:12 PM
The Romans drank their wine from lead goblets. Lead sweetens the taste of wine I read. Using lead in this manner would most likely be harmful to a person.

Having a boolet injected into a body will speed up the process.
Yeah, but study the Roman culture, they were pretty screwed up. Maybe something to lead affecting the brain if taken internally?:drinks:
Far as I know, there is no Fed ban yet, but it is coming. It's the fact that states w/ a lot of cars have banned ;ead WW, the mnauf are just going with the flow & seeing the future early. It's why private business works & govt doesn't. Govt never looks forward far enough when thinking up new regulations.

TCFAN
03-25-2011, 04:27 PM
I was I was in Bass Pro a few months ago and the manger of the indoor shooting range mentioned that they had just had the range cleaned. Said they took out several thousand pounds of lead.I asked what they did with it and he said they get rid of it because it was to dangerous for any one to be around it!!!!!

I told him that I wished there was some way I could have got some of that lead to cast boolits. He looked at me like I was crazy for even wanting to be in the same room with it. And this guy is there gun expert.I guess that why I don't go there much anymore.

Lead is a dangerous and dirty word in today's world......................Terry

David LaPell
03-25-2011, 07:42 PM
I made another trek out today looking for the glorious galena in the form of wheel weights and again have come up empty. None. I have gone to tire shops. Nothing. I have gone to garages and scrap yards galore, and I have so far found only one place. Most disheartening.

Ole
03-25-2011, 08:05 PM
I made another trek out today looking for the glorious galena in the form of wheel weights and again have come up empty. None. I have gone to tire shops. Nothing. I have gone to garages and scrap yards galore, and I have so far found only one place. Most disheartening.

Don't give up is the only thing i'll say.

You can ask 15 places and get 14 no's and it's still worth the trouble for the one yes.

fredj338
03-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Don't give up is the only thing i'll say.

You can ask 15 places and get 14 no's and it's still worth the trouble for the one yes.

Yeah, but driving aound doing a search is costly. More & more stations are not even using lead ww. 2-3yrs max & they will all be gone but a stray one hear & there. Get it now, stack it deep. Yes, I always ask if in any type of tire shop, sometimes you do get lucky.

c3d4b2
03-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Yeah, I get the same story from a shop. The said "We'd love to give them to you, but lead is hazardous and it's illegal for us to give them to a non-recycler" or something to effect.

You are a recycler and business cards are cheap.:wink:

*Paladin*
03-25-2011, 11:34 PM
You are a recycler and business cards are cheap.:wink:

Yeah, I tried that line of logic with them, but they weren't buying. Maybe a business card would have been helpful...

303Guy
03-26-2011, 01:44 AM
Dress up in a black suite and tell them you're from the government and that you're there to help. You'll get all the lead they have!:bigsmyl2:

bumpo628
03-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Dress up in a black suite and tell them you're from the government and that you're there to help. You'll get all the lead they have!:bigsmyl2:

Only if they're democrats...

XD40_Patrick
03-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Only if they're democrats...

LMAO

That's funny right there...

c3d4b2
03-26-2011, 10:11 PM
A magnetic sign for your truck may also help.