PDA

View Full Version : Law of Supply and Demand (due to the war )

jh45gun
05-29-2005, 02:45 PM
Talked to a driver of show trailer for PMC ( Semi Truck and Trailer) today he was parked next to the local gun shop for a sale they are having next weekend. ( This trailer is basically a gun and ammo store and show case in a semi trailer) He came early to see the country around here. One of the major brands is PMC for this trailer but they have other things too such as optics and guns ect for sale) I told him that they are missing out of a good sales opportunity if they made milsurp ammo for calibers as guys are really looking for it for their milsurps as factory ammo and reloadable components ect. I told him I would buy it just to get the reloadable brass. He told me that they are having enough problems makeing what they have now due to the war and getting materal for components due to the wars in Iraq and Afganistan. So a word to the wise folks you reload you may want to stock up of a few extra primers or powder and what ever brass and bullets you need. I have seen on a few sites guys saying components are going up in price and wondering if this is the reason. I guess it looks like that is the reason. JIm

anachronism
05-30-2005, 11:09 AM
There's already a shortage of military spec. .223 & 5.56 mm ammo. It seems the military is claiming precedence on the current supplies.

Bob

tracker
05-30-2005, 03:21 PM
jh45gun
I also read the same thing some time ago on another board. I have stocked up on powder and primers just so I don't have to pay the price increase in the stores. This is another reason I am on this site. To learn how to cast and be as self sufficient as possible. I wonder what all the guys with the latest odd ball whizz bang Magnums will do if the price of reloading components goes off the chart. We will be looking pretty good with our 30-30's 30-06 and 270's and not to mention all those cowboy action levers around.

You know you have to expensive of a gun to shoot when you start looking for your brass after shooting at an animal. I heard about this happening several years ago from some guys we meet on the trail. Thy told us about a guy they came across looking in the bushes. They asked him what he was doing. He told them he was looking for the extracted case after he shot at an Elk. He told them that the brass was expensive. It was a 300 Remington Ultra mag. What a shame. Never did find out if he got the Elk. :???:

Tracker

StarMetal
05-30-2005, 04:16 PM
Rumors, rumors, rumors...wouldn't doubt the gun driving that show truck wasn't a salesman. There isn't any shortage. Baloney...horsehockey. Go here boys
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of__223.html
http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop/category.asp
http://www.southernohiogun.com/ammo.html
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=20221&category=Centerfire+Rifle+Ammunition&dept%5Fname=Surplus+%26+Imports&mscssid=FUTC30A9JVW59LQH2FRQ2MK59E8M5V9B

You need more let me know.

Joe

anachronism
05-30-2005, 04:33 PM
Since my interest are mainly in .223/5.56, I checked out the availability in those calibers. The Radway green looked okay, but I wouldn't shoot the "Silver Bear" or "Olympic" crap in a rented gun!! This stuff is notorious for being hard on guns, and Olympics reputation for quality is very poor. I'm not about to shoot steel cased ammo, made by the lowest bidder in MY expensive ARs.

StarMetal
05-30-2005, 04:44 PM
Afghanistan and Iraq aren't Vietnam where they sprayed and prayed and went through more ammo then any war we ever had. There are all kind of componants available for the 223, including the powder. The supply for the military is being very well taken care of by three manufacturers.

Wideners Reloading has loaded Israeli 223, is that good enough for you? I think so, it's one of the best. They also have all the componants. There are more places then just Wideners that have this and have the componants. I haven't even looked lately at Jeff Bartletts to see what componants he has.

Rumors are what start shortages in my opinion.

Joe

StarMetal
05-30-2005, 04:48 PM
Go here: http://www.gibrass.com/brass.html

Notice some of the stuff says JUST IN....wow some shortage...I'm telling you fellows it's all bull. The original post stated componants...shucks that's what there is the most of.

Joe

jh45gun
05-30-2005, 04:59 PM
Fine just going by what the guy said. I have seen on other post that some are paying more for brass and primers and wondered why. Don't shoot the Messenger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(:(:(:(:(

Scrounger
05-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Maybe they're just saying that as an excuse to raise prices... But Iraq and Afganistan are only money pits to pour American tax dollars and blood into for no use at all. Viet Nam all over again.

StarMetal
05-30-2005, 05:55 PM
Well I have a friend in the scrap metal selling business and all metals are UP. Explains some of the higher prices on metal products, including brass casings. Honestly they aren't having that much of an ammo battle going on over there. I would bet that military training facilitieis use up more ammo. Ever since that damn crap started over prices for everything have sky rocketed. Look at gasoline. Hell if anything would be hard to get you would think it would be explosive since those insane suicide bombers have been using up alot of it.

Joe

felix
05-30-2005, 06:55 PM
Supply and demand, yes, deep down, but not really in actual practice since 1917. Any dictatorial form of government (or any government type not paying their bills) is no longer in the interest of the new world order and will be softly eliminated over time. ... felix

JohnH
05-30-2005, 09:53 PM
Metal prices are up because the Chinese starting paying 300% more for our scrap metals in an effort to corner the scrap market to feed their burdgeoning manufactuering and export industries. Weird isn't it, that their cheap labor allows them to pay more for raw materials, ship it overseas, reprocess and remanufactuer it and sell it back to us cheaper than we can make the same product here.

If there is a shortage due to war, the war is economic in nature and has nothing to do with terrorists, terrorism, weapons of mass destruction or democracy building or anything else like that.

Scrounger
05-30-2005, 10:07 PM
If there is a shortage due to war, the war is economic in nature and has nothing to do with terrorists, terrorism, weapons of mass destruction or democracy building or anything else like that.

Congratulations.

felix
05-30-2005, 10:21 PM
The Chinese are simply playing by the rules for a change. It just so happens they have taken the opportunity (as invited by the "system" via Nixon) rather than by taking a more radical approach to parity. ... felix

StarMetal
05-30-2005, 10:30 PM
China buying ALL the scrap up sounds deja vu to me....another Pearl Harbor perhaps?

Joe

felix
05-30-2005, 11:36 PM
Joe, your fears are natural based upon past experience. Hopefully, the Chinese will get their money's worth, meaning that their acquired 30B of USD over the last few years does not get deflated. They also know they cannot push and demand immediate compensation in real goods. This is the purpose of those so-called international meetings on currency values once a year. ... felix

shooter575
05-31-2005, 09:08 AM
I also worry about the chit-comms. Read a report thet they wanted to raise the price of somthing [ladders] to Wall Mart. They said nope,that they had another supplyer ready to make them. So price stayed same. Funny and hard lesson on kapitolism.
Another report said that fully 20-25% of PRC labor force works in export items to US. That does give us a bit of leverage with them 200 million instant unenployed would be revoultion in Peking time.[or so they think]
US is also making noise on the low value on yuan. It is peged on dollar. This could realy screw up commies as change would be a direct price increse of all their goods.I think this is being used with North Korea as a stick. Interesting stuff to watch.

locutus
05-31-2005, 06:56 PM
Since my interest are mainly in .223/5.56, I checked out the availability in those calibers. The Radway green looked okay, but I wouldn't shoot the "Silver Bear" or "Olympic" crap in a rented gun!! This stuff is notorious for being hard on guns, and Olympics reputation for quality is very poor. I'm not about to shoot steel cased ammo, made by the lowest bidder in MY expensive ARs.

I've used tons of steel cased ammo and it hasn't hurt any of my guns. I believe that the "reputation" of steel cased ammo being hard on guns is an old urban myth.

TCLouis
05-31-2005, 08:04 PM
John H is right, the Chinese are driving the world markets for ALL recycled materials right now and will become a world player far beyod the present level in the next few years.

As far as threat the fact tat Hughes was forced to see some guidance system information a few years back should concern al of us, especially for future times.
Military ammo was probably in "short supply" for a little bit, but folks came to the front and loaded.

Most ammo I see on the range today comes in the normal packing inside of cardboard boxes (the metal ammo cans must be going other places) and no longer thas the guide for the stripper clips. If ya have one you may want to keep an eye on it til they come packed in a case of ammo again.
9mm or 5.56 all packed in cardboard boxes.

Glad I stumbled into a lifetime supply of ammo cans a few years back!

fatnhappy
05-31-2005, 11:12 PM
China buying ALL the scrap up sounds deja vu to me....another Pearl Harbor perhaps?

Joe
Sure as hell does. If we had claymores in Korea, China wouldn't have an overpopulation problem now. Their expanding Navy and saber rattling is quite unsettling. The Naval expansion of Germany more or less compelled Great Britian to war in 1914. Something to ponder.

My personal belief is that the price of oil (read as energy) and the increasing Chinese demand for oil is driving all international metals and consumer goods up. China is as energy dependent as we are to grow their economy, which is why they're damming every river in the country right now. I believe the trend will continue and coupled with the commensurate increase in the price of crude, we're going to see $3 a gallon unless America builds more refining capability.