PDA

View Full Version : Which powder for the Lee Pro Auto Disc Powder Measurer

Space Cadet
03-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Hi guys,

Situation: I'm going to be reloading with the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press with the Lee Pro Auto-Disc Powder Measurer and the Lee Ajustable Charge Bar. The loads will be for .380 ACP, 9mm, 38 Special and 38 Super. NO magum loads will be loaded.

Question: Which of the following powders, Winchester 231, Bullseye, Tightgroup and Unique will measure from the best to the worst with my setup?

Thanks guys

Doby45
03-24-2011, 06:18 PM
I would say from best to worst as far a metering...

Titegroup

Bullseye

Unique

But I would not say Titegroup is the best powder for those calibers simply because it meters best. I would say in my experience Bullseye would be my powder of choice. I load all of those with exception to the 38Sup..

troyboy
03-24-2011, 08:02 PM
I prefer the ball powders with mine. I used a lot of tightgroup and the adjustable charge bar a while and got some squibs. Not sure if it was the powder or the charge bar. Stick with the discs at first and then try the charge bar to see what works for you. No matter what you will have to prepare the measure and discs to get rid of the static cling. Read a little about the measure before use it will be time well spent.

35remington
03-24-2011, 08:41 PM
The flake powders such as Unique measure very, very well IF you do not go too low in charge weight through the Pro Auto Disk. For example, the Pro mounted atop my progressive meters 4 grains Red Dot very well, and the flake size is similar to Unique

The large flake powders used with the small diameter holes tend to bridge the cavity rather than filling it, producing squibs.

To demonstrate this to oneself, try dispensing 2.5 grains Unique in several cases and weigh the thrown charge. Oftentimes the powder will not fill the cavity and you'll get a partial charge.

Rule of thumb around here is do not go below 3.5 grains of any large flake powder, especially in a static mounting rather than one on a moving, vibrating progressive press that tends to fill the cavity from vibration.

Small flake powders like Bullseye measure fantastically.

The only problem in the powders you list is Unique (Or Red Dot, 700X, Herco, Green Dot, some of the large flake Solo powders, 800X, American Select, etc.) These will meter fine in larger doses, but 380 ACP suitable charges are a little light for reliable metering due to the small cavity size versus the large flake size. Some of these powders have really big flakes, like American Select and 800X.

Some 38 Special and 9mm charges may be on the small side as well for the flake powders in this measure. All the others have no issues in any size charge.

noylj
03-25-2011, 04:38 AM
For me, it is:
TiteGroup, 231/HP38 (231 has always metered very well for me)
Bullseye
Unique
but they all meter well enough at realistic charge weights for the speed of the powder.

Moonie
03-25-2011, 09:35 AM
I use Unique, Clays and H4895 in mine, no problem with any of them, but the smallest charge I use is for 45acp