PDA

View Full Version : Salmon Jerkie???

Scrounger
12-01-2006, 01:41 PM
My sister was visiting yesterday and the subject of jerky (y or ie?) came up. I told her a lot of guys that I talk to on the internet hunt wild game and make jerky out of it. She said if I ever got any samples she'd like to try it. Then she wondered if anyone ever made jerky from salmon. She wouldn't believe that CarpetMan made jerky from alley cats but she doesn't know him like we do. Anyway, if anyone would be nice enough to send me a sample of wild game jerky, I'll be glad to pay the postage. Salmon jerky??? What next, Wills Famous Goat Jerky?????

klausg
12-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Scrounger,
Wrong time of year, but I'll keep you in mind when the reds start running again. I am currently zero balance on fish, and it'll be July before the sockeye are back.

-Klaus

Hackleback
12-01-2006, 04:40 PM
I have smoked salmon and let it dry down a bit after I get the right amount of smoke on it. I have been using a Lil' Chief smokers for some time. I usually run a couple pans of chips then leave it in the smoker till it is a bit on the dry side. Sockeye or red salmon is the by far the best for smoking in my opinion. It is also great fresh; grilled, baked....:-D

Now that I live in the midwest, good salmon is scarce, the stuff I have seen from the great lakes is of poor quality, much like spawners that I would see in Alaska even though they were bright. go figure.

Gunload Master
12-01-2006, 05:36 PM
I make a really good jerky for game or beef. I havent been able to find a good brine I like for salmon yet, but I am getting there.

My next batch of elk jerky is this weekend. I'll send you some to try out.

carpetman
12-01-2006, 06:56 PM
All you guys smoking fish,I was wondering if you use buffalo chips for the smoke? I dont use buffalo chips for the smoke but I have used the same method I use on meat jerky to make crappie fillets into dried fish.
i.

Gunload Master
12-01-2006, 07:46 PM
I only use buffalo chips to smoke up abused sheep... You wouldnt happen to have any abused sheep around would you carpetman :)?

redneckdan
12-01-2006, 09:48 PM
hackleback, I agree with you, it is very hard to get decent salmon once they come in to spawn. Some lakes around michigan are stocked with atlantics and I find that when they come up on the shoals in the spring to feed they are pretty good. Another tip is to surf cast for the salmon in early septenber when they start staging off the river mouths in the early morning.

Slowpoke
12-01-2006, 09:55 PM
All you guys smoking fish,I was wondering if you use buffalo chips for the smoke? I dont use buffalo chips for the smoke but I have used the same method I use on meat jerky to make crappie fillets into dried fish.
i.

One February I was selling some fur at the AZ Trappers assoc. annual fur sale at Globe AZ.

I had made up a bunch of fish jerky made from Trigger fish I had caught at Cholla bay.

I had stuffed my shirt pocket with cigar sized pieces and was walking around talking to the other trappers and munching on the jerky, they would all ask me what it was ,and I would tell them it's Bobcat jerky, want some? It was a perfect match for Bobcat flesh color wise.

I had no taker's.

good luck

Hackleback
12-01-2006, 11:00 PM
The salmon from the great lakes (mostly chinook AKA kings) have been pale in color and very soft, even when they are fairly bright.

Most "white fish" does not have much fat/oil in it. When you make jerky, it can get very hard and tough.

As for eating cats, many Canadian trappers say the lynx is their favorite meat. Cat meat (cougar, bobcat, lynx) cooks up white, much like pork. I have never had any so this is second hand information. I have read that many of these same trappers ate a lot of martin throught the winter. Martin are musteleds(sp) the family of mink, weasels, SKUNKS and the like, all known for having musk glands. I can imagine that these would not taste very well.

"tastes like sh!t, but will keep you alive"

robertbank
12-02-2006, 01:07 AM
Did somebody say Salmon! One way to make great jerky is to use one of those dehydrators. Wife got one at Wal-Mart last year and man does it produce great jerky. Got to try some fish Jerky next summer. Pictue is of my first Spring 40#s

Take Care

Bob

carpetman
12-02-2006, 04:19 AM
I dont use cats for jerky. Use gatos.

C1PNR
12-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Well, I didn't have any jerky, but cougar is VERY good. Tasted like a sweet pork, almost, only better!:drinks:

robertbank
12-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Man you ate CAT! I thought I was doing pretty good eating beaver legs. Now they are delicious.

Take Care

Bob

9.3X62AL
12-04-2006, 09:23 AM
The famous (now retired) Brazilian soccer player "Pele" was known for eating cat prior to each match, in the belief that doing so gave him the lithe quickness of that creature. Uh, OK.