PDA

View Full Version : Loose spot in 03A3 barrel

bootsnthejeep
03-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Finally got around to giving a good cleaning and slugging to a project 03A3 I've had around for a while, previously bubba'd and now getting bubba's further into a WECSOG Scout rifle.

Barrel was cut to 18.5" (yeah, I know.), and the first 12 inches or so of the barrel (slugging from the front) are fine, progress was fine just tapping it along, but certainly couldn't push it by hand.

There's what feels like at least 2 or 3" section (it may not be that long) what I'm estimating about 2 or 3" ahead of the throat that not only does not require tapping force, but is easily pushed thru by hand. It doesn't quite fall thru there, but the change in force required is significant. To the point where it surprised me so much I had to slug it again, with the same results. It tightens up again briefly, requiring a few more taps before the slug clears the throat.

Thoughts? Tips? I'm not looking for gnat's ass accuracy out of this thing, it is what it is, but this doesn't sound conducive to lead boolit accuracy.

I will say that I've shot it some with surplus ammo, and was amazed at how well it would shoot. Could almost keep them all touching at 75 yards off a bench with a scope. So I know the thing is capable of good shooting with J-word bullets, but I was looking to shoot mostly lead in this.

Not to mention the surplus stuff is is going to blast like an SOB out of that stubby barrel, so I'm looking to make some not only accurate cast boolit rounds, but also a tad more decibel friendly.

Plan on a firelap session? Just run .310 or .311 bullets and hope for the best? Anyone had a similar issue?

4 groove barrel, btw.

Boots

3006guns
03-24-2011, 08:12 AM
I have a 1903......absolutely pristine. My pride and joy, only shot on rare occasions when I feel like "putting on the dog" (showing off). Well, o.k. maybe it's not mint, but I'm proud of it. At some time in it's life a 1942 barrel was installed.

I learned how to slug a barrel with that rifle and had EXACTLY the same experience....slug suddenly "jumped" a short distance, then needed to be forced through to the muzzle. There's no lump on the outside of the barrel, no indication that anything is wrong and I can't remember experiencing it with an ordinary tight cleaning patch, only the slug. If I had to guess, I'd say the original boring drill or reamer chattered a tiny bit, then continued on. The barrel was then rifled, the gun assembled and shipped out. When you think about it only .001" of difference (or less) could cause the condition we're talking about. Mine measured .3085 and shoots cast like a house afire.

That 1903 will shoot a cloverleaf at any reasonable range and I've personally shot it with M2 ball at a distance of 1475 yards with astonishing accuracy.....from a standing position.......at a boulder on the side of a hill. Size your boolits to the normal .309-.310 range and just enjoy it!

missionary5155
03-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Good morning
Common practice is to fit the boolit to the throat which would include that loose spot. The lead will easily swage down to the lesser groove diameter further down the tube.

excess650
03-24-2011, 10:04 AM
It may well shoot fine with cast. If the muzzle was looser than the breech you would have a problem. My suggestion would be to try loading as large as can be chambered without resistance on the neck, or measure the insides of necks on fired cases and size to that diameter. The boolit needs to fit the throat so as to seal properly.

My cut down Turk 8mm has a barrel that alternates between loose and tight, and it shoots accurately with moderate velocity cast.

bootsnthejeep
03-24-2011, 10:11 AM
Excellent. Good information to know. Loading shall commence.

Now trying to decide between getting a .310 die from Ranch Dog or getting a .311 from Lee. .311 seems a tad large, but rather have it on the big side than too small....

bootsnthejeep
03-24-2011, 10:14 AM
3006Guns, now that you mention it, I hadn't given it any thought, but I was really working a tight bore brush in that thing, WITH a patch wrapped with Big 45, and was really scrubbing the junk out of that bore, and I didn't notice the big spot either. So it can't be nearly as bad as it feels while slugging. Also no bulge or any exterior dimension variances that I could see.

excess650
03-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Excellent. Good information to know. Loading shall commence.

Now trying to decide between getting a .310 die from Ranch Dog or getting a .311 from Lee. .311 seems a tad large, but rather have it on the big side than too small....

I normally size my 30cal for (2) Rem 700 30-06, Husqvarna 30-06, and (2) 7.5x55 K31, and (2) 30-30s in my .311" die. My 1899 Savage .300 gets sized in the .309" die because of its tight throat. I have .308"-.314" dies.

Larry Gibson
03-24-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm estimating about 2 or 3" ahead of the throat that not only does not require tapping force, but is easily pushed thru by hand

Unless that is a new barrel (not) and you know the shooting history (# of rounds) I would say that is standard erosion ahead of the chamber.

Larry Gibson