PDA

View Full Version : What Die set to get ?

tracker
05-29-2005, 01:35 PM
Hi All
Yes, I am new and this question probably has been asked many times but here it goes. I am new to Cast Boolits and I have posted a few times. I am getting a new rifle in 44 Mag and wanted to know what the best die is for this. I have loaded jacketed for years but not cast, and wanted to know if the dies should be different then standard die sets used for jacketed bullets. Any recommendation ? Would the Lee set work ?

Willbird
05-29-2005, 02:51 PM
I bought a set of Hornady 44 magnum New Dimension dies, The sizer works nicely, The de-capper design seems to be a copy of the Lee design, it works well, the plug in the expander is not readily removed to measure or modify it (something you might want to do to suit certian boolits) the seater die looks very nicely made but it's design does not lend itself to use with boolits much larger than 429-430.

I myself prefer carbide sizer dies where I can get them, I do not care for the Lee dies for use in a normal press...the design makes the ctg. case stick on the expander and you have to give the press handle a sharp yank the case off the expander plug.

So that leaves RCBS, Redding, and Hornady...I have not yet tried carbide dies in the first two.

you may want to add an M type die for expanding case necks...it has a .429 section, and a larger one behind that, and then a section to actually bell the neck, some folks like them (I do) some guys hate them.

Bill

StarMetal
05-29-2005, 03:20 PM
Willbird

When you talked about the cases sticking on the Lee expand plug on the withdrawal stroke are you talking about rifle and pisto both or what? With rifle cases I lube the inside of the necks and with pistol I don't have any Lee dies in those. Lee dies are cheaper then all the other brands and that reflects in the finish. I've noticed when sized on caliber of brass to another that my Lee dies are rougher on the brass then my other brands. I don't think the Lees are as smoothly finished inside. With the risiing cost of dies, unless one is rich, you don't have much choice to buy the Lees as they are alot cheaper. I have a set of Hornady nitrated titanium dies in 45 acp and I don't like the expander as you mentioned because you can't take it apart to alter or smooth it up.

Joe

Scrounger
05-29-2005, 04:53 PM
First choice (easy): Redding
Second Choice: RCBS
Third Choice: Wait till I can get first or second choice.

Bass Ackward
05-29-2005, 05:32 PM
Hi All
Yes, I am new and this question probably has been asked many times but here it goes. I am new to Cast Boolits and I have posted a few times. I am getting a new rifle in 44 Mag and wanted to know what the best die is for this. I have loaded jacketed for years but not cast, and wanted to know if the dies should be different then standard die sets used for jacketed bullets. Any recommendation ? Would the Lee set work ?

Tracker,

Since you specifically mention a 44 Rifle which would be the the same as my recommendation for a Ruger, I go with Lyman carbide dies. Lyman's will handle a bullet up to .435 before you have to enlarge it.

Both RCBS and SAECO choke at about .432-3. But this is simple to correct if you like better finished dies. I just don't like to fool with it. Now if you had a S&W that you limited yourself to .431, then the SAECO's have been running the best fit & finish lately.

I don't like dies utilizing different systems for seating and crimping for cast.

NVcurmudgeon
05-29-2005, 06:20 PM
Tracker, I agree with Scrounger's choices and his order. Another consideration in pistol caliber dies is three vs. four die sets. The separate crimper in four die sets is a great convenience, to be sure. However, I adjust my seater/crimper die in a three die set for crimping and leave it that way. When seating I put a shim between the die lock ring and the top of the press so crimping won't happen, and adjust for seating. When crimping the shim is removed, the die can then be screwed all the way down, and the seating screw is backed way off so that crimping only can happen. In rifle caliber dies for bottleneck cartridges a three-die set is a great bass saver. Most of the time, especially with low pressure loads the neck sizer is all you need, easier on the brass, and takes less effort to use. Then when you need
to size full-length because the cases won't go back in the rifle, the full-length die is there.

tracker
05-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Thanks again guys. I am going down the middle and getting the Lyman set. I got it at a great price.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000157680105

This will be my first set of Lyman dies I have ever bought. I am use to RCBC. I have also had good service with Lee on their 308 Winchester die set. RCBS is second to none in their customer service dept in my book and I can only hope the Lyman dies will be just as good. The Redding Die sets look very nice. I just want to save as much moolah as possible. It can be expensive getting a whole new outfit set up not to mention the new rifle that goes along with everything else.

Again, Thanks everyone

Tracker

BD
05-29-2005, 06:55 PM
My advice would be to get the Redding carbide three die set and a Lee factory crimp die. I've used this setup for years and it's handled everything I've tried: big fat boolits, hollow trashcan boolits, even 280 grain OWCs at .432. Some stuff needs to be seated and crimped in one motion, (28 grains of WC680 behind the 310 grain Lees), but most stuff does better with a separate seating operation followed by the Lee FCD. I have heard from a few folks that they've had problems seating the WFN and OWC designs long with some other dies. Not enough clearance in the seating die if memory serves. BD

locutus
06-03-2005, 09:54 PM
First choice (easy): Redding
Second Choice: RCBS
Third Choice: Wait till I can get first or second choice.

Yep! First choice: Redding. No question.

Second choice: RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, C-H

Last choice: Lee

beagle
06-03-2005, 10:16 PM
I have a fairly new set of RCBS TC dies that I use for .44 Special. Then, I have an OLD Lyman TC set that I use for magnum cases.

I like the decapping setup better on the Lymans and I have had no trouble loading .434" bullets in them.

The RCBS pins get caught on tumbling media sometimes and pull out and that aggravates me. MY nod to to the Lymans./beagle

Bullshop
06-03-2005, 10:35 PM
I have a fairly new set of RCBS TC dies that I use for .44 Special. Then, I have an OLD Lyman TC set that I use for magnum cases.

I like the decapping setup better on the Lymans and I have had no trouble loading .434" bullets in them.

The RCBS pins get caught on tumbling media sometimes and pull out and that aggravates me. MY nod to to the Lymans./beagle

Hay Beagle
I was at a gun show a few years ago and it was a real slow show cause there was a couple other big events going on at the same time. Had lots of time to chat with the fella next to me. He had a box with a bazillion of the Lyman type headed decaping pins. After the show he said he had enough and started just giving me stuff. Well I came home with the bazillion pins. I started using them to replace the straight RCBS pins and they ended forever the pull out problem. They are a bit short but work fine for me. If ya want I will send ya a pack.I think they come in packs of ten. BTW RCBS has now gone to the headed type also.
BIC/BS

Willbird
06-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Star, I'm sorry I didnt see the question about the expander, it is Lee pistol dies, they push the sliding plug into the case, and then the movement of the plug is to work a powder measure, when you withdraw the case in a conventional press you have to give it a SNAP to pull it off that plug.

I have looked at Lyman dies and I would consider Lee pistol dies nicer (another posters comment on Lyman being middle of the road)

Bill

StarMetal
06-03-2005, 11:10 PM
Oh yeah I know what you mean now. My 30 Luger dies have that and it's not to bad on them because the neck is very short, but still sticks some. I could imagine how aggravating it would be on a longer necked case.

Joe

Newboy
06-04-2005, 10:36 PM
Redding is #1 (can't beat their taper crimp die).

Then RCBS or Lyman.

Bought a .41 mag last month, and just couldn't wait for good dies. Bought a set of Hornaday new dimension. They looked good, but wouldn't allow a heavy crimp. It buckled the case below the crimp, and wouldn't chamber.

Lately like Dillon (works best on the progressive), and follow up with a Redding taper crimp.

Tom W.
06-06-2005, 10:32 PM
MY pistol and revolver dies are RCBS carbide, and my son has a Hornady Carbide 4 die set for our .480's. Don't have a bit of problem with the crimp. Almost all of our rifle dies are Redding, with the exception of 2 Hornady's (30/06 and 7mm-08) and a Lee set that belongs to my oldest son.

Char-Gar
06-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Any three die set from a name maker should do you just fine. Like others I buy Redding because of the very high quality. RCBS dies are also of good quality and their customer service is out of this world. I can't speak to the customer service of Redding, because I have never need it.

Willbird
06-07-2005, 12:51 PM
An update on the Hornady 44 magnum dies, I installed them in my new Dillon RL550B and they work...ok, the bullet seater does post size the first band of the .432 bullets to .431, we can live with that for now.

VP
07-06-2005, 04:14 AM
Oh yeah I know what you mean now. My 30 Luger dies have that and it's not to bad on them because the neck is very short, but still sticks some. I could imagine how aggravating it would be on a longer necked case. Joe You cast for 7.65 Luger? No kidding-- What pistols do you have that shoot that? I have a 1906 (?) civilian (not Army test model) 7.65 Luger.

Did you know that the 30 Luger (7.65 x 19 mm) was the top firing round in the 1905 U.S. Army pistol tests? It penetrated the cow skull, when no other round, our beloved .45 Auto included, did so. -- Vern

StarMetal
07-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Vern

Yes I cast for the 30 Luger and shoot it out of a 1920 civilian model Luger with the 3 5/8 inch barrel to the tune of about a nice round group of little less then two inches at 25 yards. I also cast and shoot for the 32 acp and 7.62x25 Tokarev out of two pistols...a Chinese Norinco and a Czech 52.

Yeah, Deputy Al and I know all that stuff you mentioned. Deputy Al shoots all the stuff I do and more. Great rounds, all of them, fun, low recoiling, cheaper to load, etc.

Joe