PDA

View Full Version : Sprue Cutter

Rex
03-23-2011, 01:36 PM
How tight or loose do you keep the cutter plate on your Lyman iron molds?
Thank you,
Rex

Calamity Jake
03-23-2011, 02:14 PM
I like them to swing of there own weight when hot. But not floppy loose

I install wavey washers on all my molds, this helps elemanate the floppyness.

ph4570
03-23-2011, 02:16 PM
I do the same as Jake.

Rex
03-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Thank you, think I might have had mine a bit tight.
Rex

peerlesscowboy
03-23-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm with Jake too, hard to find the sweet spot tho'......where do you get the "wavey washers", that'd help. I'd rather have 'em a little too loose than too tight.

John C. Saubak

MtGun44
03-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Just take out all the slop, no slack but no resistance. Helps venting.

Bill

montana_charlie
03-23-2011, 09:18 PM
You want the sprue plate to lie flat on top of the mould so the base of the bullet is absolutely flat.
But, if the plate is held too rigidly to the mould, air cannot escape to vent the base.

If you use a wave washer (or two) under the pivot screw you can tighten the screw to the point where it is the spring tension of the washer(s) which holds the plate flat to the mould.

When super heated air tries to escape, the 'spring' allows the plate to lift to release it, but the spring also makes the plate slap back down tight to the mould top.

So, it really is not a matter of how tight or loose the plate is...the key is to have enough spring tension under the screw to control the plate. If one washer allows the plate to swing uncontrollably, use two (or more) wave washers to create a stronger spring...which increases the tension.
They will still let hot air escape when needed.

CM

JIMinPHX
03-23-2011, 10:27 PM
What Jake & Bill said, + don't forget the lube.

Calamity Jake
03-24-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm with Jake too, hard to find the sweet spot tho'......where do you get the "wavey washers", that'd help. I'd rather have 'em a little too loose than too tight.

John C. Saubak

Ace Hardware may have them, if not you can get them at MSC Industrial Supply or McMaster Carr, both are on line.

mold maker
03-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Their available from Lyman and other mold makers, as repair parts.