PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Lead

David LaPell
03-23-2011, 11:27 AM
I was rummaging through the basement today, and I happened to stumble across these. Both appear to be made of lead. I was able to easily scratch the sides with my knife. The big piece is way too large to stick into my pot and is way too heavy, so I think I am going to bring it down to the scrap yard and see if I can trade for the same weight in wheel weights. (It has to be at least 20 pounds). The smaller piece I will keep because that should work ok. I think when I get my second pot here I will cast that into a few ingots. I just have never seen a piece of lead this size for anything used industrial before.
http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss57/Smith29-2/Picture1938.jpg

bumpo628
03-23-2011, 11:49 AM
That would easily fit in a dutch oven. Or you could chop it up, but that would be a lot of work. Scrap yards around here won't even let me buy lead, so if yours does that is another option. If it was me, I would keep the large weight AND buy the wheel weights from the scrap yard.
Lead only leaves my possession in boolit form downrange. :mrgreen:

WILCO
03-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Yep. That's lead from a hospital.

David LaPell
03-23-2011, 04:34 PM
I decided to bring it to the scrapyard since with only one really good working arm right now it would be too much to try and cut it up. It weighs 21 pounds, but I got 30 pounds worth of pre-sorted WW's for it. I kept the smaller piece. At $1.00 a pound, I made out ok. It's getting very hard to get WW's around here, and I would rather just deal with them and get what I can. I have a few pounds worth of scrap aluminum around here so I think I'll bring them up next and swap for some more when I can.

03-24-2011, 05:22 PM
If you can swap Aluminum for lead, pound for pound, you're doing really well. Pb worth more than Al.