PDA

View Full Version : cast in semi auto machine guns

bobthenailer
03-23-2011, 11:22 AM
any one shoot cast gc bullets in a 1919 A1 or a 50 bmg maduce ? both semi auto.
I reliaze they will have to water dropped and i would be almost at the upper limit of a cast bullets usefullness . But i could possibly download some as long as it cycles the action

onondaga
03-25-2011, 02:57 AM
GC bullets cast with straight Linotype that fit the bore .002" larger than groove to groove diameter will hold up fine to loadings of about 45,000 psi. No water drop or heat treatment hardening will be needed with straight Linotype alloy. If your bullets are undersize you will get horrible leading at those pressures/velocity so make sure of your bore and bullet size. Do not guess, slug the bore properly and measure the slug. Measure your cast, checked and sized bullets. Do your measurements with a good micrometer with .0005" accuracy, not a dial gauge.

Bullets this hard, made from straight Linotype alloy should be expected to shatter on impact. do not shoot at targets closer than 50 yards!!! You will likely get hit with fragments when shooting close targets with brittle bullets and this is serious.

Great quality precisely alloyed Lino is available from Rotometals link at top of page. If you get Lino from Ebay, don't get it in ingots, get it in strips and spacers loose, the ingot hardness runs all over the place from Ebay.

LLA or 45:45;10 tumble lube will be adequate also.

Gary