PDA

View Full Version : Bogies in the bucket

Jim
03-23-2011, 10:33 AM
I cleaned out my shed yesterday and found a half bucket of WWs buried in a corner. When I got done with the shed, I culled the bucket. I found some bogies in the bucket. The rivets are what caught my attention.
A year ago, I might have found one or two in two or three buckets. Now, I'm finding several in a half bucket. The up side of this bucket was there was very little trash and very few adhesive backed lead strips. It was mostly good WWs.
http://fgsp.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/photos-027-e1300889575384.jpg

EDIT:
The photo above is of non lead WWs I found in a bucket I brought home some time last October or November.
The photo below is of "bogies" I found in a bucket I just culled a few minutes ago. I brought this latest bucket home just a month or so ago. Notice how many more there are?
The top three rows are marked "Fe" for iron. The bottom three rows I believe are Zinc as they are spot welded to the clips.

Make sure you go through your WWs carefully. I expect you'll start seeing more of these "bogies".

http://fgsp.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/photos1-e1300896709269.jpg

Dennis Eugene
03-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Jim, if for some reason you don't like them adhesive backed lead strips, I'd be more than happy to take the dirty things off your hands. Dennis :kidding:

ia1727
03-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Jim,
Please enlighten a Newbie as to what you are referring to.

Steve

Jim
03-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Steve, I'm sorry about the confusion. What I'm calling a "bogie" is a wheel weight that's either zinc or steel, not the real thing.

Dennis, I 'preciate the offer to help! I usually just smelt 'em right in with my WWs and then adjust hardness to taste.

Hardcast416taylor
03-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Perhaps now you guy`s understand why I pre-sort with a 6" long 1" dia. magnet. Yes I snag lead weights as well, but I get more of the "bogies" this way before smelting. I also use the magnet trick to remove melted off steel clips in the smelt stage along with a leather glove to wipe them off.Robert

Skipper488
03-23-2011, 01:30 PM
I pour them all in the dutch oven, take my temp up to 650 and take out anything that doesn't melt. After I get all those out I raise the temp to 750 and flux with saw dust and a wood stick.

white eagle
03-23-2011, 02:11 PM
I found a bunch of those little square one (center bottom)
that you would think were stick on pure
I found them after and towards the end of
my sorting so I may have to resort the stickies
again :)

Jim
03-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Yeah, if you look closely, you can see "Zn" stamped on it.

Defcon-One
03-23-2011, 04:43 PM
I'm also in VA and I have been seeing a major increase in your "Bogies" (targets for removal, I assume). I think you're gonna start a new term here!

I used to smelt lead wheel weights years ago and never saw any of these things. I got back into it recently and not only did I see a few then, the percentage has increased rapidly ever since. I now see about 12-15% by weight in my buckets. Another thing that I've noticed, which worries me much more, is that a good bucket full is getting much harder to find.

I think the whole Zinc/Steel thing and the threat of a future ban on lead wheel weights has got a lot more people out competing for sources.

Also, the price for a bucket (about 80 lbs.) which was about 5-10 dollars here seems to be increasing with the new demand.

The future may be very different than what we are used to!

arjacobson
03-23-2011, 04:57 PM
I have found some like the bottom one on the right and they were lead???

Jim
03-23-2011, 05:44 PM
I have found some like the bottom one on the right and they were lead???

None of the WWs in either photo are lead. They're either zinc or iron.

rmcc
03-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Here in Iowa several of the battery companies have made deals with the tire companies that they will pick up their wheel weights for nothing or pay them a little, not even scrap price. So now people like us are competing in an ever smaller arena for the same product. It is hard to find 5 gallons of WW now. I hope it is better for the rest of you.

Rich

David LaPell
03-23-2011, 07:00 PM
I can tell you that you will be seeing alot more of these. In NY the state has gotten rid of lead WW's starting this year. Right now I am going everywhere I can looking for lead WW's and finding alot of the zinc trash. Right now I am building as much of a stash together as possible.

03-24-2011, 05:16 PM
I pour them all in the dutch oven, take my temp up to 650 and take out anything that doesn't melt. After I get all those out I raise the temp to 750 and flux with saw dust and a wood stick.

Dats what I do... don't see the need to spend the time hand sorting when the melt will do it for ya.

Ole
03-24-2011, 11:41 PM
I thought from the thread title that someone was picking their nose and flicking their boogers in the lead bucket.

03-25-2011, 07:27 AM
Perhaps now you guy`s understand why I pre-sort with a 6" long 1" dia. magnet. Yes I snag lead weights as well, but I get more of the "bogies" this way before smelting. I also use the magnet trick to remove melted off steel clips in the smelt stage along with a leather glove to wipe them off.Robert

A Magnet to remove the clips. What a thought! Why have I been using a spoon?
Thanks Warren

WILCO
03-25-2011, 08:03 AM
In NY the state has gotten rid of lead WW's starting this year.

4-1-11 is when it starts.

arjacobson
03-27-2011, 07:03 PM
None of the WWs in either photo are lead. They're either zinc or iron. Jim-this is a very fuzzy picture but these are Lead. Very soft in fact. You can almost scratch it with your finger nail..They are marked with a (30) and a (20). Maybe the heavy ones are zinkers.??? I know I have ran into that in the past hex type clip ons.