PDA

View Full Version : +1 on the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 digital

Ohio Rusty
03-22-2011, 08:55 PM
I ordered one of the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 digital scales from Midway since they had them on sale. I have been dilligently searching the 'net for everything about digital scales. I was to the point I was seeing all the different models in my sleep. The RCBS 1500 always came out on top from posters for the ease of use and excellent accuracy. That settled it.

Mine arrived yesterday and immediately I unpacked it and checked its workings from the ship to Ohio. It calibrated perfectly. Tonight, I went thru the calibration again, and started loading .44 mags for my contender. My starting load is 17.5 grains of 2400 behind a 240 gr. SWC-HP-GC using my JPW/beeswax/toilet ring lube. I loaded a couple ... and I couldn't stand it .... I had to shoot my first .44's.

The wife and I walked out in the front yard and I walked across the street. I touched off the first one toward a mark in the woods. What a rush !! I reloaded another and fired again. Perfect starting load. Not a wrist breaker and plenty of power down range as the wife said twigs flew from trees and there was a big *PUFF* of leaves on the hillside where the boolit smacked. With renewed pleasure, I loaded 25 more. The RCBS 1500 threw perfect charges everytime and was real easy to use and understand. This is one of the best pieces of reloading equipment I have bought, and feel confident this scale will give me accurate charges in both my hunting and plinking rounds.
Kudos ro RCBS for making a really great piece of equipment.
Ohio Rusty ><>

noylj
03-22-2011, 09:50 PM
I assume you got the complete ChargeMaster and not just the scale.
The only "problem" I have is that the unit will frequently give me a charge 0.1gn over the target. I know this is nothing, but those big numbers tell me it is over.
I doubt if any powder dispenser can do better as the weight that gets dropped from each "trickle" rotation will vary. I know the the CM is better than my old PACT unit.

*Paladin*
03-23-2011, 07:29 AM
Love my Chargemaster. Best reloading tool in my garage. I've had mine since the 1st year RCBS came out with it. It's been a reliable piece if equipment, and I use it mutiple loading sessions per week.

Rocky Raab
03-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Manual tricklers go a tenth over just as frequently - they just don't tell you about it in big bold numbers.

Do note that the older PACT/RCBS Powdermaster is NOT the same as the current Chargemaster. Wholly different machine. The PACT/RCBS was a two-unit system, with separate scale and dispenser. The new Chargemaster is a single unit. (You can still buy an upgraded version of the PACT Powdermaster from them, but they no longer make the RCBS machine as they once did.)

Ohio Rusty
03-23-2011, 08:30 PM
I bought just the scale NoylJ. I didn't need the auto dispenser, and that would have doubled the price. I don't have an issue with measuring in the pan and sumping that into the funnel on top of the Lee die. I'm pretty happy with this scale. It will make my reloading better and safer.
Ohio Rusty ><>