PDA

View Full Version : Coleman Handy Gas Plant

luna butte
03-22-2011, 06:29 PM
i just picked one up and filled it with white gas and put about 20 psi of air to it but it would not get hot enough to smelt WW's. i monkeied with it for about an hour before abandoning my mission.

how many PSI do you guys that have one of these beheamoths apply to em to smelt lead?

thanks.

Bret4207
03-23-2011, 07:14 AM
I googled the "Handy Gas Plant" and came up with a PDF of the operating instructions- http://pages.suddenlink.net/abosch1/HGPserviceinstructions.pdf

I own a plumbers furnace similar tot he Coleman unit. It's very possible that dirt and rust have partially blocked the fuel line. There are instructions in the PDF file for cleaning. I've also found that running carb cleaner in my fuel will help with built up varnishes that slow fuel flow.

Give it a good cleaning and try it again. Let us know what happens. You should get a large bluish flame from that with a jet like roar if it's like my furnace.

shaggist
03-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Like Bret4207, I own and use a Plumber's Lead Furnace to smelt my WWs into usable, clean casting material. It will melt 40 lbs. of WWs in about 10 minutes, which is what it was designed to do, in order to connect cast iron waste pipe. For more information about these units, see the sticky 'this old pot'.

In looking at the pictures of this Coleman unit, and reading the directions about it, I don't think I would try to melt lead with it. I don't think it is designed to hold alot of weight. The instuctions say it will heat 2 gallons of water(about 16 lbs) to 170 degrees in about 18 minutes. That temperature is no where near enough to melt lead, and it takes a long time. I would get a turkey-fryer burner, or a lead furnace, and use it, as they have the capacity to get hot enough quick enough to make smelting less of a chore.

luna butte
03-23-2011, 11:10 AM
thanks for the link Bret, i spent a bit of time cleaning it last night and i think i got it working correctly now.

Shaggist, i sure hope it will melt WWs, i figured i was in the clear when i read that it produces 35K btus an hour.

packrat
03-23-2012, 08:30 PM
your gas plant will melt WW and lead just fine...I had one a few years back and melted 100s of pounds of WW...I am trying to find one to buy now as I sold the first one I had.