PDA

View Full Version : Lee shaver soule ?

Ringer
03-22-2011, 02:04 PM
How do the Lee Shaver soule sights stack up against the other soule sights on the
market ?
Ringer

August
03-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Keep in mind that there are two tiers of Lee Shaver sights -- imported and domestic.

The one's he makes in this country hold there own against any, other brand.

Kraschenbirn
03-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Dunno, 'bout making a comparison with some of the "high-end" sights out there, but so far I'm very satisified with the Shaver Soule I installed on my Pedersoli RB. Only fired approx. 100 rounds since mounting the sight a couple weeks ago but the vertical adjustment locks solidly and sight settings (using the vernier scale) are easily repeatable. Overall, construction and fit appear excellent quality and, from a practical standpoint, I think I prefer the matte black finish over the polished blue of some of the higher end tang sights. Ask me again in a month or so. Now that I've got a decent rear sight on my RB, I've got three different boolits that I want to work up both BP and smokeless loads for so it'll get plenty of exercise in the next few weeks.

One thing that really impressed me, too, was the level of "customer service" I received before I ordered my Shaver Soule. I had questions about mounting the sight (my RB had been D&T'd for a Marble Tang Sight) and received a detailed response offering several possibilities on the same day I sent my inquiry.

Bill

montana_charlie
03-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Keep in mind that there are two tiers of Lee Shaver sights -- imported and domestic.
The 'tiers' are 'economy' and 'deluxe'. He says that he makes all of them.

CM

hiram
03-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Several years ago I bought the Lee S economy model. midrange sight. That year, I won the club championship with it. I used the eyepiece that came with it. Since then, I have upgraded to a pedersoli hadley cup. I have never played with any high end sight, but I don't think I made a mistake.

August
03-22-2011, 09:14 PM
He says that he makes all of them.

CM

Buffalo Arms says they're imported from the Ukrain.

32ideal
03-22-2011, 09:35 PM
August this is taken from Lee's Ebay page: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120480440301&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

"After a couple of years producing the Super grade sight I decided I was going to redesign my Economy model sight to incorporate as many of the features of the Super grade sight as possible and make all the parts myself so the quality would be better, and I especially wanted to lapp the windage for near perfect fit as we did on the Super grade sight.

My goal was simple in redesigning the Economy model sight. I wanted to build the best Soule type tang sight you could lay your hands on for under $200.00, just as my goal for the Supergrade sight was to build the finest sight possible for a price that would not break the bank so to speak.

If the statements from my happy customers are any clue, I would say that I accomplished just that."

I purchased one of the economy sights and it is an excellent sight, not as pretty as the Super Grade, but it is very smooth in adjustments, he also modified a front sight for me with a wider dovetail to fit a Stevens!
32ideal

wills
03-22-2011, 09:57 PM
http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-LeeShaverGuns/StoreFront.bok

waksupi
03-22-2011, 11:29 PM
I believe the Ukrainian sights are from Parts Unknown.

kokomokid
03-23-2011, 08:41 AM
The high grade sight comes with a hadley eyepiece and that would be a must have for BPCR. Looks like economy model has it extra. High grade also looks to have adjustable detent.

Kraschenbirn
03-23-2011, 06:54 PM
The high grade sight comes with a hadley eyepiece and that would be a must have for BPCR. Looks like economy model has it extra. High grade also looks to have adjustable detent.

Yup, right on both counts!! Also, the base design for the "high grade" allows the sight to be switched from one gun to another. Just install the correct base on each rifle and change the sight from one to another with minimum hassle.

Bill

August
03-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Yup, right on both counts!! Also, the base design for the "high grade" allows the sight to be switched from one gun to another. Just install the correct base on each rifle and change the sight from one to another with minimum hassle.

Bill

Where are the bases listed and available from ????

montana_charlie
03-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Buffalo Arms says they're imported from the Ukrain.
Those are the Red River sights...formerly known as the Parts Unknown sights.
There is quite a write-up on them, which explains their Ukrainian origin.

In the section on the Shaver sights, there is nothing said about where they're made.

It cannot be more clear that you are wrong...

I purchased one of the economy sights and it is an excellent sight, not as pretty as the Super Grade, but it is very smooth in adjustments, he also modified a front sight for me with a wider dovetail to fit a Stevens!
I, too, bought an economy soule from Lee Shaver. I already had a Pedersoli Hadley eyepiece and was reluctant to waste money on buying another. So, I proposed a modification to my eyepiece, and a minor change on his sight, and he agreed it would be a workable plan.
He charged me $10 for the extra work, and I have been satisfied ever since.

CM

montana_charlie
03-23-2011, 10:30 PM
ooops!

RMulhern
03-23-2011, 11:49 PM
http://www.kermitool.com/ad.html

NickSS
03-24-2011, 05:53 AM
I have one of his high grade midrange sights and like it very much it is repeatable and easy to adjust what more could I want in a sight? Admittedly it does not look as nice as some sights that cost an extra $50 to $100 bucks but other than that it is a good sight.

montana_charlie
03-24-2011, 12:48 PM
http://www.kermitool.com/ad.html
Uhh...that's an ad for Kermit Hoke's sights, Rick. No relation to the topic...unless you have used both and want to provide a point-by-point comparison for the o/p. That might even be interesting to all of us.
CM

RMulhern
03-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Uhh...that's an ad for Kermit Hoke's sights, Rick. No relation to the topic...unless you have used both and want to provide a point-by-point comparison for the o/p. That might even be interesting to all of us.
CM

CM

Seems like it should be related Charlie as it's about SIGHTS.....of which I consider Kermit Hoke sights to be the best around! Especially since I've got time behind the others being mentioned....and a plastic bag full of about six sets of assorted junk coming from those being 'kibitzed' about![smilie=s::shock:

montana_charlie
03-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Seems like it should be related Charlie as it's about SIGHTS.....
Whatever you say...

Next time you nail a guy for bringing up smokeless, I expect he will say, "It's about POWDER....."

CM

wills
03-24-2011, 06:48 PM
I believe the Ukrainian sights are from Parts Unknown.

I think they have another name for them now.

RMulhern
03-24-2011, 07:49 PM
Whatever you say...

Next time you nail a guy for bringing up smokeless, I expect he will say, "It's about POWDER....."

CM

CM

Seems to me you've had occasion to direct others to the 'smokeless section' as well! Take a shot of good whiskey......relax Charlie![smilie=l:

Red River Rick
03-24-2011, 08:29 PM
I think they have another name for them now.

Wills:

Red River Sights is the new name.

Sergio Pustogorodsky is the gentleman who sells them, he's up here in Winnipeg, Manitoba. And yes, they are manufactured in the Ukraine.

Try this e-mail address: splawco@mts.net

RRR

wills
03-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Made a note of that

kodiak1
03-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Rick that fella doesn't answer an email worth a hoot.
Talked to him on the phone he got me all hyped up going to get two more of his soule sights and he was sending me a catalogue so that I could see what I wanted.
Waiting still 4 years later. Sorry about the rant.
Ken.

kokomokid
03-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Kodiak1 If your looking for a good sight and customer service try Baldwin.

Red River Rick
03-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Rick that fella doesn't answer an email worth a hoot.
Talked to him on the phone he got me all hyped up going to get two more of his soule sights and he was sending me a catalogue so that I could see what I wanted.
Waiting still 4 years later. Sorry about the rant.
Ken.

Ken:

I spoke to Sergio last night on the phone, and mentioned to him that there were a few potential customers that wern't too happy.

He assurred me that anyone interested in his sights, can call him at this number: (204) 487-7185.

If he's in the office, he will gladly take your call. However; if he's not in and his voice mail kicks in, LEAVE A MESSAGE!
If you leave a message with your call back number, he WILL get back to you.

I hope you guys can connect.
:drinks:

Rick

kodiak1
03-29-2011, 09:02 PM
Will give her a try and always leave a message.

Ken

kodiak1
03-29-2011, 09:11 PM
kokomokid
I got me a couple of Baldwin's and they are great!
The problem is our local and that imaginary line between the two countries.
That imaginary lin makes it an expensive **** to get stuff across.
Some of the customs people don't realize that a Soule sight can come across so it gets sent back and makes for a royal pain in the ****.

Next election vote out the little guy from Chicago out and put in one of his opposition that is willing to change that homeland security act just a smidgeon!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Ken

kokomokid
03-30-2011, 09:36 AM
Understand and the high shipping rates keep me from getting most things from Canada. Only problem with Baldwin is left hand threads but works great for someone half dislexict.