PDA

View Full Version : Krag Help!

Schofield_Duckman
03-22-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm new to the world of Krags, just got my first one a couple weeks ago. I just got brass a couple days ago and tried to run five pieces through to make sure it cycled. It cycles the first four fine but doesn't push the fifth high enough for the bolt to catch the rim. Today I tried making some dummy rounds with 160gr cast bullets as I currently only have a 160gr mold and still had the same problem. Looking inside it looks to me like the 30-40 krag needs to have a fairly long overall length in order to cycle in the rifle, is this correct or is something else wrong? The other thing I noticed is that when I load 5 rounds and shut the gate, the gate doesn't quite shut all the way, is this a problem or fairly common? Thanks!

madsenshooter
03-22-2011, 03:48 PM
You're right about the OAL, the rifles don't like them too short. Little 160gr pills should only be in the case around 1/8-3/16". If your gate isn't shutting all the way, you could have a broken magazine spring, which would also explain the last round not coming up far enough since the same spring powers the arm. It may be broken on the rear end, so it isn't totally dysfunctional as they are when broken in the middle or front. Here's directions on disassembly: http://surplusrifle.com/uskragrifle/rifledisassemble/index.asp

madsenshooter
03-23-2011, 03:18 AM
There is also another possibility. It depends on the model of your rifle. There's a difference between the cartridge followers between the model 98 and the earlier models of 92, and 96. I've found that one can change them, but if you put an 98 follower assemble into a 92 or 96, it will hit on the top of the magazine. That could be binding things up for you too. Give me some more info to work with and perhaps I can be of more assistance.