PDA

View Full Version : Lee Dies

robertbank
11-30-2006, 03:45 PM
I just ordered a conversion kit for my Tanfoglio in .40S&W. In order to reload of course I am going to need a shell plate etc for the 550, Lyman/RDBS molds and a resizing die. In order to keep some of the costs down I was thinking about going with Lee Dies. They go for half the price Dillon dies go for. I have Lees for the .45LC but don't load enough of that cartridge to have a feel for how they would stand up under heavy usage, ie 5,000 rds per year. Thoughts?

Take Care

Bob

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-30-2006, 03:48 PM
Bob,

Were I you, I'd get the Deluxe four die set with the Factory crimp die. Not that much more expensive and makes running pistol boolits in a progressive a good bit smoother. I've a set or two of Lee dies and I've been very happy with them. They're different, but if you wear them out or if they're defective, Lee will take care of you about the same as all the rest of the outfits.

Dave

felix
11-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Bob, I personally like the Dillon dies a lot, especially for lubed boolits. I also like their wider opening which allows faster/easier 550 operation. Worth the money? I think so for ammo that will be mainly used for "fast" and "furious" application. ... felix

dragonrider
11-30-2006, 05:19 PM
Lee dies should serve you well, I use some in my Dillon 650 for 44 mag. One day I'll get some Dillon dies but for now the Lees are fine.

scrapcan
11-30-2006, 06:04 PM
Bob,

I have a set of lee 40 s&w dies, don't think they are the deluxe set. Also have the dillon 40 s&W dies. I would part with the lee dies if you are interested. I can check to see which set they are. both sets cam ewith my 550b purchased used. I have only used the dillon set. Could be interted in trade also.

Send me a pm. Also how tough is it for individuals to send things across the northern border?

PS. you could just sen dthe conversion kit and solve your problem. It will slide right on my springfield p9. I too would like to go that route.
Jeremy

versifier
11-30-2006, 06:53 PM
I have Lee die sets in 40S&W and 45ACP that have loaded many thousands of rounds. I have no complaints with their durability. I also have many rifle sets, regular and collet, some over twenty years in hard service, and they stand up well to heavy use. Even if you grab a used set, get a factory crimp die to go with them.

Johnch
11-30-2006, 07:06 PM
I use Lee 4 die delux sets for some cal. on the Dillon 550
One hint , for 2 stations put the lock ring UNDER the die plate .
I put the sizer and seater die lock ring under the die plate

It took me a few min. of thinking before I got smart .[smilie=1:

Or replace just several lock nuts

Johnch

rebliss
12-07-2006, 09:48 PM
One hint , for 2 stations put the lock ring UNDER the die plate . I put the sizer and seater die lock ring under the die plate.

Very smart! I learn something useful everytime I come to this page.

I use a 550B. I have some Dillon, some RCBS, and lots of Lee dies. I prefer the Lee dies. Just picked up a set of used .40 S&W for $10.00 at a pawn shop! Gotta get the powder die for it and I'm set.

robertbank
12-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Man why didn't I think of that (hits himself on the head)? Just remembered my mechanical genius ability rating is stuck at zero.

Take Care

Bob

jh45gun
12-08-2006, 01:23 AM
Too many folks think Lee stuff will not hold up considering its cost. It will and was said their customer service will take care of ya. I like Lee and that is all I use unless I find something used of a different make but if I buy new it is LeeAll my dies are lee as is most of my casting stuff. Just talking about Redding dies on a other forum now I am not knocking them but 100 bucks for their 3 die set I can buy 3 sets of Lee dies for that price and have enough left over for lunch! :)

Lee
12-08-2006, 01:52 AM
Awww....Garsh!...youse guys are embarrassing me!
But seriously, with a name like Lee, it's gotta be good.

No really seriously, all my equipment is Lee. I'm cheap, so it fits the bill on that count.
It works well, and if you don't abuse the equipment, it lasts forever.
I've four Lee presses and the only problem I had was with the plastic indexer thingie on a turret press. And "I" caused the problem by trying to make the machine go the wrong way at the wrong time.
Other equipment is probably built better, but if you want to get the job done on a shoestring budget, Lee equipment is usually hard to beat.

(I'll duck now. I hear the Lee bashers coming!!!:roll: )
.......................................Lee:)

toecutter
12-08-2006, 07:05 AM
Lee dies are ok, personally, I usually use RCBS sizers, some home brew seaters (sometimes lee seaters) and a universal expanding die (that I made). I would dig around and see if you can find a used die set first. That's probably your cheapest option. Since it hasn't already been stated carbide dies are the way to go with straight wall pistol cases.

The reason I use all RCBS sizing dies is they will replace any part that breaks free. I usually destroy a decapping assembly for about every 5000 rounds or so I reload (usually a rock in the case or something). RCBS will replace it for free even if I bought it used. I usually give them a call about every 3 months or so, and tell them something is broken so I have an extra part or two on hand so when I do smash them, I'm not dead in the water. Nothing like heading to the gunstore screaming about decapping rods at 5pm on a tuesday. Especially since about the only part like this they carry are decapping pins.

While less of an issue for you, lee offers a bullet feeding kit that is only compatible with lee seating/crimping dies. I really don't think the factory crimper is a must for .40. I use one for most of my rifle loads, but bought one for .45 and considered it a waste.

The thing to keep in mind here, is that you will still need the caliber conversion for .40, this includes the little powder dealy thing that bells the case mouth, and drops the powder. Lee has thier own powder throwing system (which kinda sucks, the auto-disk powder measure has to be the worst thing to ever happen to me. I can't throw a charge big enough to fill a .223 case without the double disk kit, and with the double disk kit, about every third round the measure freaks out and shoots powder all over my reloading table). The dillon is the way to go for powder handling. I replace the auto-disk measure with a dillon head and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

While I don't think buying lee dies is a bad decision, my thinking is along the lines of, you already have a dillon, why make a franken press when you can have a pure breed that will win the race for you.

My two lee pro 1000's are more franken-press than you can shake a stick at!

But it may be worthwhile to go look for used dies first if you're really worried about the cost. That way if you have to replace them, you're not out a lot of cash. (also midwayusa has better prices on lee stuff than lee's website)

Ranch Dog
12-08-2006, 09:44 AM
Lee has thier own powder throwing system (which kinda sucks, the auto-disk powder measure has to be the worst thing to ever happen to me. I can't throw a charge big enough to fill a .223 case without the double disk kit, and with the double disk kit, about every third round the measure freaks out and shoots powder all over my reloading table).

toecutter...

Have you thought about sending your Auto-Disk back to Lee and having them look at it? That doesn't sound right. I have a couple of them and they are rigged up on my pistol dies and they do a great job. I have a Pro Auto-Disk setup for double disks (on the upper disk I use the Lee adjustable charge bar) and it does an outstanding and accurate job. I use the double on all my 223 Rem, 30-30 Win, 30-30 AI, 300 Sav, 32 WS, 35 Rem, and 356 Win reloading.

I do agree with your final advice though... I think I would tend to keep with one manufacturer and their dies. I've had the mix and match setups and got tired of trying to figure something out when I added a new component. I eBayed all my old stuff and bought everything Lee offers except the 1000 (I have the LoadMaster).

mick27
12-08-2006, 11:10 AM
i have used lee dies for all of my revolvers, for over 20 yrs (same dies), their roll crimp is the best i've used for heavy bullets. never had a jump!!

mick27

BorderBrewer
12-08-2006, 11:17 AM
"One hint , for 2 stations put the lock ring UNDER the die plate .
I put the sizer and seater die lock ring under the die plate"
-Johnch

Genius is a simple and brilliant solution. I wish I would have read this earlier because I have four packages of 1" lock rings en route from Dillon! This is such a great web site.

Borderbrewer

robertbank
12-08-2006, 12:10 PM
You too!:mrgreen:

Take Care

Bob

singleshotbuff
12-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Robertbank,

I think I have a sizeable box of 40 brass in my gun room. I don't have a 40 and don't intend to get one. If you can use it, drop me a PM. It's all range brass, good shape, fairly sure once fired.

SSB

singleshotbuff
12-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Forgot to add, I use Lee dies almost exclusively, unless I get a deal on a used set from another manufacturer. I think I have 2 sets of RCBS dies bought used, and the rest are Lee. Any time I buy new dies, I look for Lee first. I also use their universal decapper and universal case expander dies.

SSB