PDA

View Full Version : Need measurements

hondo1892
03-22-2011, 09:38 AM
I just bought a 92 Winchester in .44 mag and want to get a mold for it. Keith style bullet noses are too long to use. I'm thinking about LBT wfn in 240 or 260 grain and the Saeco truncated 240 gr. Do any of you have one of these molds? I would like to find out how far the crimp groove is from the nose. I looked on each makers site but they don't have the measurements I need. Thanks for any and all help.

beanflip
03-22-2011, 12:41 PM
To start out you will want to slug the bore to see what size of boolit you are needing before buying a mold.

geargnasher
03-22-2011, 01:34 PM
BF, he's asking about the nose length, not the driving band diameter.

Hondo, the WFN may or may not feed well in that gun. The TC might be a better option. Why not use a standard Keith semi-wadcutter design? What factory ammo have you tried that feeds well? Have you cast the chamber and throat, or made an impact slug to see what design will fit in the throat? Might be tough to get a WFN into the throat and still line up with the crimp groove if the nose is too fat for the throat. These things need to be considered since the tube-fed gun needs a roll crimp in a groove of some sort.

Gear

hondo1892
03-22-2011, 02:49 PM
I have some old Lyman 240 gr swc that will not feed because of oal of cartridge. The nose of the boolit won't clear the tube to be lifted. If I seat them above the crimp grove they may work but I don't like doing that on a tube fed gun. I don't know about the throat I haven't checked to see how long it are. The Saeco looks like it has a shorter nose than the swc, but drawings can be deceiving when you don't know if they are scale. I haven't shot any bullets in it except jacketed ones. Both the 240 gr and 200 grs. have the same oal. If I can find out some measurements of the other bullets I could seat a jacketed one so the oal would be the same as the cast and see if it feeds. I would check the throat before ordering the wfn. There are 200 gr cowboy style out that are made to feed in lever guns but I want something with more thumping power.