PDA

View Full Version : Day at the range With dad

drklynoon
03-21-2011, 09:58 PM
So I was trying a new bullet and a new load in my .45 colt Ruger it didn't seem to be leading but my acuracy just wasn't all that. I'm using a #2 alloy 452424 lyman bullet and 6.0 gr. unique w/ CCI primers. Well after about twenty rounds the old man asked to give it a try. His group was about half of mine. I was a little embaressed to say the least. I decided to settle down and get serious what a difference that made. I put three in the same hole and two more within an 1 1/2 at about 25 yards. I was surprised how much I was moving. I didn't notice it at all. I've been so use to shooting my Single Six .32 at about an 1" to 2" that I haven't been really concentrating on my trigger pull and had gotten sloppy. Oh well I guess I needed a wake up. Ps. my dad swears he's blind so that helps with the embaressment lol. He also out shot me with the .45 ACP's but I only had ten test rounds and was much more interested in leading and cycling then results.

Moonie
03-22-2011, 03:27 PM
For all of us fathers that take our kids to the range with us (especially the grown ones) all I hear is blah blah blah he out shot me. :kidding:

Enjoy the time spent with him, I know he enjoys it at least as much, I do.

drklynoon
03-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Nice lol we have some fun with each other but we love to spend time. I was gone in the service for ten years so we are trying to catch up I suppose. He is a better shot with handguns no doubt but his eyes are gone so much that long distance is really not his game. It's back and forth but it was nice of him to show me up with my own gun after I did it to him last week. He has a taurus .32 H&r mag that gives him fits.

4719dave
03-22-2011, 06:22 PM
You guys are VERY LUCKY !! To do this . I miss those days

rststeve
03-25-2011, 01:01 AM
I have an Uncle that is the same way. You would think with two fingers on his right hand missing he wouldn't be a very good shot. When shooting he looks as though he has no real grip on the rifle not to mention a pistol. Shoots better than me every time and I spend way more time at the range than He does.

bigdog454
03-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Us old timers started out with single shot rifles, shotguns etc.. Some of us had to make that one shot count or go hungry. Today some kids want an autoloader, spray and pray. I started my kids with a bolt action 22 and a single barrel shot gun; They can shoot and bring home the meat.
BD

DanWalker
03-25-2011, 11:23 AM
You're lucky. My Dad's been gone 20 years this October. Never did get to shoot with him.
Enjoy your time together.

Buddy
03-25-2011, 01:50 PM
What a great day, shootin' with the old man. My dad is 84 and carries a BH 45 Colt on the farm. I go over and shoot with him as often as I can. He had laser surgery a couple of years ago and is in top form. He has been an excellent pistol shot and can still get it done. Congrats on the good time and do it again soon. Here's to all the dads that helped us with our shooting endeavors.

drklynoon
03-26-2011, 09:13 AM
My first was a stevens single shot .22 then a little later I got a .303 british that needed a bunch of love. We go shooting when we can which is about once a week. This week he's going to embarass me with his .45 ACP. I'm still not a great auto shooter despite the military and shooting them for 15 years or so.
RSTSteve, I can't imagine losing fingers I've been close with some breaks. Thats the definition of tenacity, don't let anything hold you back.