PDA

View Full Version : 22 Revolver

gchapman1965
03-21-2011, 04:17 PM
A few months ago I picked up a Revelation 99 double action 9 shot revolver. It was made for Western Auto by High Standard. All things considered, it's in pretty good shape. If I shoot it single action, it works properly and goes bang every time. If I shoot it double action it fires maybe 50-60% of the time. I've replaced the mainspring and if it is strong enough to fire double action the hammer pins the safety bar to the frame and the trigger will not reset. If you barely touch the hammer the trigger will reset. If you change out the mainspring so the trigger will reset, it won't fire reliably. Would I be correct in thinking that the hammer could have worn over the years and is now to short to fire consistently in double action? If this would be the case and since parts are not available, how should I approach "lengthening" it? I was considering putting silver solder (braising) on the tip of the hammer and then cleaning it up and reshaping it with a file.

On the other hand, I could just forget about double action and shoot it single action.

Any suggestions??

218bee
03-21-2011, 08:56 PM
I suspect the timing may be an issue. If hammer had problems would possibly misfire in single action also. Personally I would just shoot it single...although I've been known to spend lots of time "fixin" stuff that aint worth much just for my knowledge gained and satisfaction. Can safety bar be removed?

Bulltipper
03-21-2011, 09:13 PM
When ya get done with that one, I got another one for ya...har har

gchapman1965
03-21-2011, 11:02 PM
I looked at the timing but don't think that's it. All of the hammer strikes seem to be in the correct place but double action evidently isn't hard enough. It locks up and has very little play considering what it is. I know it's not worth much and I have absolutely nothing in it, but I'm using it as a training tool for "knowledge gained and satisfaction". Yes, the safety bar could be removed and I'll use that as a last resort. I'm not crazy about the hammer resting on the casing.

If I ever get this thing fixed, Bulltipper, I'll take on yours. :-)